IGNORED

How Much to Tip Your Caddie???

Saturday Golfer
Note: This thread is 1834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why would I want to take a cart at Pebble Beach? If I did, why would I then want or need a caddie? Sounds like a cash grab to gobble up every last tourist dollar. On a links course with blind tee shots or strange routing I'd probably like a caddie, but Pebble beach isn't a links course with blind tee shots and a strange routing, is it?!?

Originally Posted by phan52

I believe that, even with a cart, you would have a caddie in your group at Pebble.

No, that's not correct.   At Pebble you can take a cart by yourself (no caddy), take a cart and have a caddy accompany, walk by yourself, or walk with a caddy.    They don't force a caddy on you if you don't want one.

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

Why would I want to take a cart at Pebble Beach? If I did, why would I then want or need a caddie? Sounds like a cash grab to gobble up every last tourist dollar. On a links course with blind tee shots or strange routing I'd probably like a caddie, but Pebble beach isn't a links course with blind tee shots and a strange routing, is it?!?

There are 4 blind shots I can think of ... 2nd shot on 6, tee on 8 and 11, and 3rd shot on 14.  No, I have never played the course, but I know it won't feel that foreign when I do.  I've been there a few times, including the AT&T; one year, and I have played it extensively on video games so I know the layout quite well.  Nevertheless, on any course for the first time - and I imagine that the first time I play Pebble will be the only time - there are things you won't know that a caddy can help you with.

Originally Posted by Clambake

No, that's not correct.   At Pebble you can take a cart by yourself (no caddy), take a cart and have a caddy accompany, walk by yourself, or walk with a caddy.    They don't force a caddy on you if you don't want one.

Good to know, although I think for the experience, I'd probably still choose to walk with a caddy.  What's an extra $75 (or whatever it is) when you're already shelling out $500 for greens fees and more for your hotel room?

Then again, if there is a chance of the caddy making the experience worse (see Erik's review on Kiawah) then maybe I'm better off by myself?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

There are 4 blind shots I can think of ... 2nd shot on 6, tee on 8 and 11, and 3rd shot on 14.  No, I have never played the course, but I know it won't feel that foreign when I do.  I've been there a few times, including the AT&T; one year, and I have played it extensively on video games so I know the layout quite well.  Nevertheless, on any course for the first time - and I imagine that the first time I play Pebble will be the only time - there are things you won't know that a caddy can help you with.

Good to know, although I think for the experience, I'd probably still choose to walk with a caddy.  What's an extra $75 (or whatever it is) when you're already shelling out $500 for greens fees and more for your hotel room?

Then again, if there is a chance of the caddy making the experience worse (see Erik's review on Kiawah) then maybe I'm better off by myself?

Here is a link to the caddie program at Pebble...

http://www.pebblebeach.com/golf-instruction-and-services/caddie-services

I can tell you that the caddies we had at Pebble were great and really enhanced the experience.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Originally Posted by phan52

I don't have courses in Australia and Europe in my top 100. But I'll give you a sampling of courses I have played that require you to take a caddie if you want to walk.

Pine Valley

Oakmont

Merion

Winged Foot

Baltusrol

Shinnicock

National Golf Club

Bandon Dunes

Pacific Dunes

Bandon Trails

Old MacDonald

Pebble Beach

Seminole

PGA National

LA Country Club

Bel Air Country Club

You will never play any of those courses without a caddie. And they are hardly "servants", as you called them. They make nice money and they love the job.

Caddie programs around this country have allowed thousands of young people to get scholarship money for college through philanthropic organizations like the Evans Scholarship Fund and the J Wood Platt Scholarship Fund. Caddying teaches young people responsibility, and helps to grow the game by introducing them to the game in a responsible manner. Myself and my three brothers all worked our way through school by caddying and I was extremely thankful for the opportunity. My home course has a robust caddie program and I hope it never goes away. We can carry after 3:00 PM if we choose and I take advantage of it often late in the day to play a few holes. But when I play 18 holes I always take a caddie and I am proud to be able to help these young men improve their lives in this manner.

I know for a fact that none of the Bandon courses require you to take a caddie.  In fact, if you wish to take a caddie, they recommend reserving one well in advance, or you might get stuck walking the course without one, and we all know you can't take a cart there!

Pebble Beach is the same, not required, but they do at least have carts if you don't get a caddie!

Yes the Bandon courses don't require a caddy

Oakland Hills in Michigan If you want to walk in prime playing time you can only do it with a caddy

Late afternoon you can walk on your own.

I'm guessing the other major clubs like OHCC have similar policies.

Originally Posted by r7 425

It doesnt matter! My caddy friend at Oakmont got a 100 dollar tip once. Usually 10 dollars for 18 will do the trick

Doesn't surprise me when the initiation fee is $110,000 to join that place.

You could buy a house in that area for that much money.

Originally Posted by allin

Never more than 45 degrees or they drop your bag. Seriously, assuming that tips are the major part of their income, I would still make a distinction between a professional at a resort and a club with a bunch of high school and college kids. Five hours 50-75 bucks for a kid is out of line, 20 bucks and a couple of soft drinks for a teen is fair, or 30 and they buy their own. ...

Not sure what planet you live on, but you pay/tip a caddie according to what kind of job they do. Also, most clubs have a minimum rate for caddies... you add a tip.

High school and especially college students may play on their school teams, and if they know that particular course may be able to really help you out.

A couple of the upscale St. Louis area country clubs caddies average about $75 a bag. And, one of the clubs frequently puts caddies on the pro tour. So, you quip disparaging "a bunch of high school and college kids" is a lot of nonsense.

During 1965-73, I was one of those "kids". And, if you had listened to me, I could have helped you break 90 at a PGA-caliber club.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 6 months later...

I am going to Punta Cana for a week of golf. The courses I will be playing have caddies. I have never played a round of golf using a caddie. Can anyone give me some tips on what to expect? How much to pay? How much to tip?  Thanks for any info.

Never been to the Dominican Republic and any caddy tips were paid during trips to Scotland, Ireland, Pinehurst, etc...

I suggest you talk to the General Manager or Concierge of the resort.  They should be able to give you advice for what the resort caddies expect.

Brian Kuehn

• 2 months later...

What if a caddie is 16-18 and he or she is very knowledgeable of the game and familiar with the course? Would you be okay with that caddie? Also do you believe that a caddie should keep quiet about things like a man's swing, ball striking, or "I think" comments. Or should they give advice when asked?

My only conclusion from all this banter is to see about some caddy jobs for my son.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

When I caddied, the norm was to double the base pay. In fact my caddie slips had a sentence that said, "Suggested tip is 100%."

ie if the base pay is $24 for 18 holes give the caddie $48.

My favorite guys where two regulars who gave me $65 and $75 respectively.

I had one guy who told me, "I don't care what your name is unless you have huge tits."

Gave him yardages so good he always landed pin high, and he gave me $100.

If you want to be forgettable and/or hated tip 100% or less. If you want the kid to like you pay more than %100.

Kiawah island....Ocean course .round of golf including caddy was 210.00. I tipped 50 he was very good, figured out my shot tendencies pretty quick, gave me some very good advice. My buddy also tipped 50....much different results.

• 4 years later...

If you win over a million dollars at a tournament, try to give your caddie more that $3k. 

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, lastings said:

If you win over a million dollars at a tournament, try to give your caddie more that $3k. 

He gave him $2k more than $5k.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!