IGNORED

Playing old school golf - real woods

CSG
Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 57 and not a good golfer...yet. I started with real woods but am using my 25 year old Cougar I woods and irons still. I'd hung it up for awhile but started playing again this year and have been demoing some of the new woods (Cobra LD M Speed, Titleist D2, Nike, etc.). There's no doubt I hit them farther but only slightly straighter than my old small Cougar metal wood. I noticed how much more pleasing the sound of my old, smaller driver was (thicker metal, I suppose( and got to thinking about how more more satisfying the sound of real wood was still.

Golf is a fun activity for me. I don't play in tournaments, I won't play with jerk-offs who are too serious and too proud, and I only sometimes score a round. I respect the game and the rules but I will not slow play or worry about a lie I'm not going to hit out of if I'm just out having fun. I play the rules when required but golf is more for me to try to play as well as I can, having a good time on a nice day, and getting some needed exercise.

All that said, I've started thinking that all the new wango-tango game improvement clubs and gear are taking something away from the old traditions and that those of us who are not playing for dough or competition might enjoy things a little more with real woods and more traditional irons. Spend a little more time on the practice tee, take some playing lessons, and play golf old school for a change.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a return to some tradition on the tour at some point when some influential pro says, enough.

Anyone here play old school golf?

i have a cougar 3 iron that my dad played with when we lived in canada. if you find the sweet spot on any of your irons, you deserve a nobel prize. i don't think that many people play old school stuff, but i almost bought a persimmon driver today for 15 bucks.

don't see it making a comeback on tour.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I had my dads old Spalding Executive 4 wood with the aluminum shaft in play until about 2 years ago, it was my go to club for many years. I had to replace it due to the fact that I bashed the lacquer off of it and it was falling apart. It's modern day replacement is leaps and bounds better for me. The technology has improved and given golfers the opportunity to enhance the quality of their game. I respect those who play old school equipment, but my choice is the new school stuff, not saying I am a latest and greatest kind of guy, just prefer a titanium 3 Wood over a Wooden Spoon.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

i think, correct me if im wrong..... tiger woods was talking about that at a after game conference about having a old school game with the old drivers and no hybrods and old school irons..... that is somthing i would like to see

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

When i was 5 when i started golf i played with old Spalding woods and a wooden driver.

(11 Years Ago)
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I played "old school" golf for the last 20 years. Wilson blades, Toney Penna Persimmons driver, old Taylormade "Pittsburgh Persimmons" 3 & 5. I did respectable with that set-up, normally better than most in our group.

All that being said, last summer I upgraded to a Cobra driver and WOW. What a HUGE diffrence off the tee. This spring I got some new irons, Cobra FP's and again, WOW! 2 clubs diffrence and the mis-hits are amazing. A mis-hit 8i with the old set would go maybe 60-80yds no telling what direction. The new set, same mis-hit and I'm only off 10yds from what the club was supposed to do AND on target! I'm STILL blown away.

Picked up a Cobra 5w to go with the set, and now the oldest thing in my bag is my putter.

I have officially joind the technology revolution in golf!
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Look, there's no question that the new technology in clubs and balls helps in distance in minimizing mis-hits but it has also taken something away from the game IMO.

There seems to be a reason Louisville Golf is still in business making updated but traditional persimmon clubs.

I was kind of wondering if anyone had said screw it to the new technology and play golf the way it used to be played?

As for me, I'm debating it.

Ive got a old set of Wilson Dynapowers, 1 iron thru SW. They originaly had leather wraped grips. I also have some old Magregor persimon drivers. I recently had the Wilsons regriped and Im using the pitching wedge in place of my gap wedge. I also will hit the 6 iron on the range from time to time.

I last used these irons regularly 18 yrs ago. The big diference was when the Big Bertha woods came out. Now those seamed to really make a difference.

Woods: Titleist 909 D3, Titleist 909 F2
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue
Irons: Titleist AP-2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey spin milled
Putter: White Hot 2 ball.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a return to some tradition on the tour at some point when some influential pro says, enough.

that. will. not. happen.

In my x78 stand bag
Driver Tour Burner 9.5 REAX stiff
3 Wood 906F4 15.5 Aldila VS Proto stiff
Hybrid IDEA Pro Gold Matrix Ozik stiff
Irons AP1 4-W DG S300Wedges Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54, V-Foil Tour 60Putter Red X 35"Ball ProV1

i think, correct me if im wrong..... tiger woods was talking about that at a after game conference about having a old school game with the old drivers and no hybrods and old school irons..... that is somthing i would like to see

I think it is something they would talk about, but will never happen. My coach owns a range and has alot of the older permisson era stuff in his shed and just from my perspective, practicing with those things completley threw my swing off. I was hitting a permisson 3 wood once and you have to practically hit those things like short irons to get them to do anything..very wierd clubs.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

It wouldn't surprise you? So - let's say that tomorrow, Palmer, Nicklaus, Woods, Player Watson said, in unison "enough" - it would make a difference to anyone or anything? What planet are you from?

And - by "old school golf "- you mean hickory shafts and featheries and unmown golf courses without fertilizers. Old technology was new when it came out and many people thought steel shafts weren't fair. You will realise that the introduction of game improvement clubs has not actually improved the scoring recreational golfers at all. Handicaps of weekend players have not improved. Yes, these clubs are more forgiving and the metal woods go further, but that hasn't translated into an improvement in scoring. As you'll see on these boards, a lot of golfers are only concerned about trying to prove how long they hit it, blaming a shaft for their crap swing or wondering if a Scotty Cameron putter will improve their game. Do you think they want these treasures taken away from them? I used my 1980 laminated Cobra 1 wood recenty. I hit it well and it sounded great, but that experience won't be making any club manufacturers change their plans. For those of you who have been playing less than, say, 15 years, driver was about the size of a modern 3 wood. If you want to improve your game, you won't do it by kicking your ball out of bad lies and not scoring.

golf is tough enough with modern equipment-why make it more difficult. Hey why not use gutta percha balls and hickory shafts and play like the founding fathers intended the game to be. As for me, give me the latest and greatest. At 59 I hit the ball as far as I did when I was 39-thank you technology. As for not playing the ball the way it lies, well you are not really playing the game of golf.

• 1 month later...
I still carry (and not just for decoration) the same MacGregor persimmons 3 and 4 woods (I typically carry only one of these, depending on the course) I have owned since I was 12 years old. The driver and 5 wood are safely tucked away in the garage. Original finish and everything. Yes, I am losing distance, but I have yet to find anything that allows me to work the ball quite the same way. Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough, or made that change, but it ain't broke, so I am not going to try to fix it. I love these clubs, and may have to finally break down and admit that I am losing strokes, but until then, I savor the feel of a well struck shot off of a 'real' wood.

Until last month, I was playing with the same Karsten II's that I have carried since I was 12 as well. I believe they were 8 years old at the time? Original ZZ lite shafts, though I probably went through 30 sets of grips....Somewhat revolutionary at the time, but almost museum pieces today.

I bought the entire set from a family friend, who less than a year later offered to trade me for the "upgrade" set that he had bought. I declined. He is now retired, and playing a lot of golf. I think I might clean up the Karstens, put on some fresh grips, and "send them home". They don't have any real value, but I think he would get a real kick out of it....

He can't have the persimmons woods back though....

In My Bag:

Driver: Si3 380
3 & 4 Woods: Eye-o-matic Persimmons (yes...Persimmons)
Irons: 3-PW R7 TP S300Wedges: Karsten II 57* SW, Vokey 54.10 and 58.08 Spin Milled Oil CanPutter: White Hot SabertoothBall: Pro V1x"That's the easiest shot in golf....a short chip into the sand."

I take an old persimmon wood out to the range every once in a while, fun to hit, and i get some interesting looks too.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I went old school several years ago and bought a collection of the best persimmon drivers and woods . . . but what a shock, I couldn't hit them more than 210 and the mishits were terrible. I used to use McGregor MT-85's which gave a great feel with the Titlest balls of the day, the 395, but somehow I couldn't recreate that feeling, sound, and result. Now with the FT-5 I get something closer to the old school feel and great performance as well.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

old school is the ONLY way ive playe this game......lol.............persimmon,hickory...................etc............love the game............and i have no prob keepin up on the course,have some guys with modern drivers that are hittin em where i do......so far so good
Driver:Louisville Golf Transitional driver(15*)
Wood:Tad Moore/Tom Morris Brassie(14*)
Long IronTad Moore/Tom Morris Cleek(18*)
Long Iron:Tad Moore/Tom Morris Mid Iron(22*)
Approach:Tad Moore OA Hickories Jigger(26*)Approach:Burke T ray Mongrel MashieApproach:Tad Moore OA Hickories Mashie(37*)Short:Geor...

• 3 years later...
Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!