IGNORED

Its funny when chops play blades.

Note:Β This thread is 3944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I don't get why crappy golfers play blades. I saw a guy at the range yesterday who had brand new titleist blades. I was going to go talk to the guy and ask him how he liked them until i saw the guy hit a few balls. He couldn't even get them into the air...

I guess its their money, but the game could be so much more fun for them with clubs that suit their skill level.

Or maybe he wants a challenge. I dont consider myself a chop or hack in any sense but I switched over to blades this winter and am just starting to get used to them. It's taken me some but its coming around. I'll give the dude the benefit of the doubt simply because it's going to work out his game (if he puts the effort into it that is). If he's still bad in a years time, then by all accounts should you be so kind as to advise the man :)

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

I kinda know what you are saying. I was at the driving range a while ago and there was this guy who had all new clubs Clevlands if I rember, Driver woods Irons all brand new, Clevland staff bag, and everytime he would swing it looked like he was dry heaving, All I could think was buy a used set get some lessons then decide what fits your game.

Or maybe he wants a challenge. I dont consider myself a chop or hack in any sense but I switched over to blades this winter and am just starting to get used to them. It's taken me some but its coming around. I'll give the dude the benefit of the doubt simply because it's going to work out his game (if he puts the effort into it that is). If he's still bad in a years time, then by all accounts should you be so kind as to advise the man :)

IMO. starting off with blades is like a noob bike rider buying a gixxer 1000 for his first. True blades in golf is something you don't 'grow' into.

If the guy couldnt get his blades into the air its doubtful he could get a game inprovement club all that much better. I would guess he is doing something fundementally wrong with his swing.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I have seen those people out on the range. It does make me wonder what the heck are they doing with that equipment but if they have the money to buy that equipment who cares. It is too bad that they are making the game harder for themselves though.

I am a fly fisherman and I see the same thing on the stream. Guys with their brand new Audi's all decked out in the nicest Orvis fly gear and they cant even tie a fly on let alone make a cast. Oh well.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Or it could be that you just happened to watch at the wrong time. I don't consider myself a "hack", I'm around a 12 handicap and I can tell you that most of that is due to my lack of short game. Driver/iron game is pretty decent.

But, I went and played last weekend. Got a warm up bucket and hit some wedges first, everything fine. Hit a couple of more shots then went to my 7 iron. All of a sudden, I was shanking every shot. I mean it looked like I'd never picked up a club before. What the h*ll is going on here? I was really starting to get worried. So I stepped back, regrouped and focused on details. Here I was swaying and not turning and moving my head a ton. Once I refocused I was fine but anyone who saw me on the range for those 10 or so balls I'm sure thought "dude needs to take up tennis".

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+ Β Grips: Β PURE Pro

• Administrator
IMO. starting off with blades is like a noob bike rider buying a gixxer 1000 for his first. True blades in golf is something you don't 'grow' into.

I started with blades. MacGregor/Nicklaus blades. I consider it one of the best things I could have done. I take no credit, because I did it unknowingly, but I'm glad those were the clubs I got.

I learned quickly that striking the center of the clubface was important. And I'd played all of one or two rounds of golf prior to getting them, so I was about as "noob" as it gets.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Or it could be that you just happened to watch at the wrong time.

Nope. i watched him hit a few balls here and there throughout the night. One shot seemed worse than the next. Even if I didn't watch him hit 1 ball, I could tell he was a hack because: a). his grip was atrocious and b). hi posture was horrible also. Once he hit a ball, my thoughts were confirmed.

Nope. i watched him hit a few balls here and there throughout the night. One shot seemed worse than the next. Even if I didn't watch him hit 1 ball, I could tell he was a hack because: a). his grip was atrocious and b). hi posture was horrible also. Once he hit a ball, my thoughts were confirmed.

Ah...I read it as you saw him hit just a few shots. Hey, to each his own I guess-maybe he got them as a gift, maybe he got a great deal on them...who knows. But to each his own-as long as they're enjoying the game I guess that's all that matters (as long as he isn't in front of me holding me up!

) Myself, I never watch other people on the range. I've got enough to worry about with my own game. Only time I look over is if the guy/girl next to me is making noise and it's bothering me (like talking on a cell phone).

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+ Β Grips: Β PURE Pro

oh well. I am sure he will either a) get better over time or b) quit because the game is harder since he is using blades. Depends on his determination and whether he's smart enough to get instruction i suppose.

Don't get too annoyed dude. I actually hate seeing people hit these HUGE rubber hammer looking clubs far and str8 - doesn't seem to take much skill, so I guess it's hard for me to appreciate? - rather than someone struggle with player's irons...

oh well. I am sure he will either a) get better over time or b) quit because the game is harder since he is using blades. Depends on his determination and whether he's smart enough to get instruction i suppose.

I don't get annoyed at all. Its just an observation I made. I like checking out what other players have in their bags. I used to play mp-29's in college when i played a lot. I have since moved to the x-forged irons, which are way easier to hit. Although I too like the challenge, i don't want to make the game any harder than it already is.

If the guy couldnt get his blades into the air its doubtful he could get a game inprovement club all that much better. I would guess he is doing something fundementally wrong with his swing.

Thank you, cavity backs and gi irons are not some magical thing that makes you hit the ball. You still need to have a swing that will get the ball going good.

I started with blades. MacGregor/Nicklaus blades. I consider it one of the best things I could have done. I take no credit, because I did it unknowingly, but I'm glad those were the clubs I got.

Ya pretty much the same thing for me. My uncle gave me a mixed set of old Wilson and PowerBilt blades. I had no clue and grew up with them. I played the year earlier with a junior set, maybe 4-6 times all year. But grew out of them.

Nothing wrong with people playign with what they want. Dude I work with is a 30 for 18 and has blades. He asks me if he shoudl get some GI irons. Dude, you wont hit them any better, you still need to make a good swing. They arent a cure all. In the end I tell him hey whatever makes you happy. Whatever helps you enjoy the game.

I think I would fit your description of a "chop." I use my Hogan or Golden Ram blades at the beginning of the season because they force me to focus on my fundamentals. The feedback I get, both through my hands and the ball flight, is the best advice I can get because it tells the truth.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I was at the range this afternoon - 45 balls - the first 5 were shanks. Wedges and 8 irons. The next half-dozen were poor hits. I guess I looked like a newbie. They're not blades but they're players irons - easier to hit than muscle backs at least.

You weren't watching me, were you?!

I see a lot of people playing blades that I don't think should - but who am I to tell them what to do? I admire anyone who will use blades in order to improve their ball striking. Surely you'll be glad to see fellow competitors struggling with blades while you launch the ball?

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I see a lot of people playing blades that I don't think should - but who am I to tell them what to do? I admire anyone who will use blades in order to improve their ball striking. Surely you'll be glad to see fellow competitors struggling with blades while you launch the ball?

This brings up a good point, and it's something I didn't realize until recently.

The club you 'should' be playing depends a lot on what your goals are. If you're trying to develop a great swing and great iron-striking, playing SGI irons doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because they'll hide many problems from you. If that's your goal, even as a beginner, then blades or players' irons make perfect sense. If you're playing once every two months with your brother-in-law and go to the range maybe once in between, SGI irons would be perfect, for the same reason they'd be bad for the aforementioned beginner. Now, when someone plays blades and explains that their problem is that they have trouble getting under the ball with their swing, then I start to worry. Some bad shots, not to worry.
  • Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note:Β This thread is 3944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!