IGNORED

Walking or riding

myk
Note: This thread is 5828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know that I'm not the best at golf, but I realized the other day that I seem to play better when I walk as opposed to riding in a cart. I think it gives me more time to concentrate on my next shot. When I ride, I feel like I'm rushed. And it gets even worse when I play with my friends. Does this make any sense or am I imagining it.

Mike

• Administrator
Used to be the same way for me, but now I play more and more courses where carts are required, so I've had to learn to adapt.

I now try to get to my ball as quickly as possible. I walk with my putter when I can. I try to take my time AND walk as much as possible. I feel like you lose a lot of the "feel" for the ground riding in a cart constantly, and the little things like which way the breeze is blowing, etc.

So get to your ball quickly and walk around a bit to re-orient yourself, and otherwise walk when possible. That's my general advice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Walking makes you more patient. Try walking and listening to an ipod for the first 4-5 holes. It helps with anxiety with chipping and hitting the touogh shot over water etc. Get a nice speed cart to save your shoulders. I have played 38 rounds so far in 2008 and have rode in a cart 3 of those rounds. Make sure you hydrate as it gets warmer. Was 90 in So Cal today and I am whipped

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

I have played 38 rounds so far in 2008 and have rode in a cart 3 of those rounds.

Honestly, I hate you. 38 rounds, you have to be kidding me.

My home course isnt quite ready to open, but I have played the local muni a few times and it feels like the next step I take I am going to sink knee deep into the ground. I agree with you though, the only way, IMO, to play the game is to be out walking. When you ride I feel that a dwell on the last shot for to long, especially when it went bad, but when I walk I tend to think about my upcoming shot quite a bit more. I dont know, just a personal feeling.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

The course I'm a member of lets its members walk for free (greens fees for the year are included in membership rates). So, I walk several times a week and I am able to get through a round in less than three hours; 2 1/2 hours is pretty standard for me. I'd rather walk because it means I can get through rather quickly.

In My Grom Bag:

Driver: NVG2 Draw
Woods: NVG2 3 & 5 Woods
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 3Irons: GT Xtreme 4-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56.14Putter: White Hot XG9Balls: NXT, e6+Home Course: Apple Mountain Golf Course http://www.applemountaingolfga.com

I find riding in a cart distracting. Walking lets me focus on what I'm going to attempt on my next shot and gives me some time to reflect (not obsess) on my last one.

I agree. I always walk when possible. After tracking scores for 2 years now I do play better when walking for all the reasons stated above.

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

I play the same either way, but i find I can do more than 18 holes in a cart and I have more energy.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Riding all the time... I don't golf to get in shape but to relax...

To stay fit I play basketball, and other sports... 38 rounds.... I will not golf for another month...
If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Once the weather gets better (****in snow!) I'm looking forward to walking all of my rounds. I'm looking to lose a bit of weight over summer and my golf routine will definately help with that.
Whats in my bag:
Driver: R7 Superquad 10.5 Stiff Stock
Wood: R7 3 wood Stiff Stock, r7 5 wood Stiff Stock
Irons: Command BK 3-PW Stiff TT Black Gold Shafts
Wedges: 52, 56, 60Putter: Dual Force Rossie II or White Hot XG #9 (Haven't had a chance to use both yet.)

I love to walk. I play better, I also play better when I play by myself, even though I did have my best round the other day riding and playing with my buddies. I also play a hell of a lot better when I dont drink on the course. I dont know if the beer is actually getting to me or just throws me off, either way I would much rather walk (especially if I had a caddie!)
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°
Irons 735 3-pw S300, Golf Pride Tour Velvet cord
Wedges Spin Milled 53°, Spin Milled 59°Putter Studio Select Newport 2Goals for '10:1. Get down to scratch or better

My membership is 150.00 per month ( for weekday play only) with 12 dollar per cart fee or walk for nada. 38 rounds for 600 bucks works out to be about 15 bucks a round and I have 2 1/2 weeks left in the month which will take it down another dollar or 2. It was 90 degrees here today

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

The worst thing about buggies here is it's so damn cold most of the year!
I never take one - one of the reasons I play is to get exercise. I contradict myself enough

It's great to see members who are of a senior vintage or for health reasons - extend their playing careers by using buggies - i'm all for it.

Only thing I have a problem with is when I'm playing a big competition - say a 36-hole (1 day) competition and some guy is flying around in a golf cart, when the rest of us are battling it out in an endurance test. They're banned in most of the comps tho.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I know that I'm not the best at golf, but I realized the other day that I seem to play better when I walk as opposed to riding in a cart. I think it gives me more time to concentrate on my next shot. When I ride, I feel like I'm rushed. And it gets even worse when I play with my friends. Does this make any sense or am I imagining it.

If you're imagining it, I am too. I generally play courses where walking is permitted - and a few where I can't imagine even wanting to ride. The feeling of being rushed, yeah, that too.

A ton of the courses my friends like to play when I visit them require carts. This makes it tough for me, even on an otherwise easy course. Then they wonder how I have such low scores posted in my handicap.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I enjoy walking far more than riding but usually find myself riding based on who I am playing with. Most of my friends and relatives are quite lazy.

Usually on one of my leagues I'll ride (just because it's a 2 man scramble) and my other league I'll walk. I play far better on the league that i walk. Also, if I am playing by myself...I'll be walking. I think, for me, it's a matter of having the time to evaluate my next shot and any thing that I may have felt in the previous shot.

The worst thing about buggies here is it's so damn cold most of the year!

I wish they would make more newer courses more walkable. I play one course where it takes 5 minutes in a cart to reach the next tee... there are signs telling you that you are headed in the right direction and to "enjoy the 5-min ride through our scenic nature area." You have to pass it twice. I would say that I walk about half my rounds and ride the other half... but I definately prefer to walk. I also hate it when places have mandatory cart policies, but are walkable courses... WTF is that. I play just as fast walking.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Note: This thread is 5828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!