IGNORED

GPS Suggestions

Note: This thread is 5550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which GPS should I get?

• Garmin GolfLogix GPS-8
    • SkyCaddie SG2.5
    • SkyCaddie SG3
    • iGolf GPS Caddie II
    • Other
    • Get a rangefinder instead

I'm thinking about getting a GPS and I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm leaning towards the Garmin GolfLogix because I've had other Garmin GPS products in the past and have been very satisfied. Although, I do like that the SkyCaddie allows you to position the location of the pin on the green instead of only choosing between front, middle, and back. I don't want to spend more than $300 unless I'm getting a lot more for my money.

It seems that the answer to the question of what device to use for correct yardage is endless and the opinions differ so radically.

My father-in-law got a laser device and he hates it. I have used it and don't like it either. The reason being, it takes time to 1) Get the device out and up to your eye 2) Decide what object you are going to bounce the laser off of (the flag is so small) and 3) Make sure you are holding the device steady or you might get a reading from the tree behind the flag. I usually have the best luck using the lip of a sand bunker and then judge the distance from there, but it is difficult to say the least. Some people are good at it and love it, but I am not a fan. So, now I am trying to decide which GPS device to buy. I had narrowed it down to a model of the SkyCaddie from SkyGolf because everyone on the course I have seen with one loves it. I have noticed that the SG3 uses AA batteries, which I think would be nice...that's just what I need is another gadget to plug into the wall. However, the SG5 is color screen and I think has a slightly larger screen...so I'm also considering this device. In reading reviews of the SkyCaddie at the SandTrap.com forum and other review sites, it makes me rethink my decision. However, I wonder if people who have bad experiences with a product, no matter what the product, are more likely to post because they are disappointed, maybe even angry, and want to get it out of their systems and warn the rest of us (which I thank them for). On the other hand, those who are happy or satisfied with the product don't feel as strong of a need to post and therefore we get a somewhat biased view of a product. Now I'm more confused on what to buy than ever! :)

My Golf Blog

. . .I voted for "other" because, I too, am undecided! One of my golf partners at work uses the SkyCaddie SG5 and really likes it. I have also had my eye on the SonoCaddie V300 which has just become available on Ebay and with In the Hole. The V300 actually tracks you as you move around the course giving you up to the second yardages with a color display. It also allows you to keep your score and do a total "round analysis" when you are completed. I've also just heard about the uPro which utilizes actual aerial photography for the courses.

. . .So now I'm totally confused and plan to wait a few weeks until I read a few reviews of these new units. IntheHoleGolf.com states that you can call them to discuss pros and cons of each unit. I called today and the person had not seen the SonoCaddie or uPro yet, and they were not expected to be in stock for a couple more weeks.

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

A rangefinder has the obvious advantages of using it anywhere without a subscription, no need to charge it, always ready.

But a GPS doesn't need line of sight, and with the green view it gives yardage to front and back of green, and you can scroll to any point on the green to get yardage to that point. Easier to read for many people, I use a clamp-on holder on the cart and it's almost effortless, so I'd go with the GPS.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I have the SG3 and an older bushnell laser. The Laser can be very difficult to get a reading outside of 150 yards. (I know the newer ones with pinseeker are probably much better at this.) The SG3 is great. No need to worry about forgetting to recharge. I normally use it with my own nicad rechargable batteries and they last about 2 rounds before needed to be recharged. But hey, I can always stop at a gas station and pick up AA's if I forget to recharge! My buddy has the SG4 and if he forgets to recharge he's out of luck.

The accuracy between the laser and gps are very equal. I've used the mark feature and then moved to a new place and hit it with the laser and it's always been within 1 or 2 yards. Even my laser will switch between 1 or 2 yards when it hits the flag at 150 yards.

It's great to have both, but if I had to choose one, it would be the gps. It will give me distance readings on shots I've hit, distances to carry bunkers, distances to the end of a fairway on a dogleg, distances to water hazards and carry for the same all at a glance without trying to site in each of the objects. It also gives me lay up targets i.e. hit the ball 168 yards to have 100 yards to the center of the green.

I know some people are dead set on laser, but I really see gps as being more usefull in more situations (blind shots, shots from other fairways etc.) I think if you can get around the fees for the sky caddie, it's a very reliable and easy to use piece of equipment.

Whatever you get enjoy it and play better golf!!

All fires eventually go out!

HiBore 10.5 Standard Shaft Stiff

MP-60 4-PW Dynamic Gold 300 MP-T 51,56,60 V-Foil HX Tour 56 (guess I'll be changing soon)

Bushnell is commimg out with a hand held device simmilar to sky caddie for cheaper with no monthly fee so wait it should be out in June.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Recently bought the GolfLogix...have used it twice. I bought this unit for a few reasons:
1-Waterproof
2-Made by Garmin. I currently use 2 other Garmin GPS units almost daily at work...no problems.
3-Simplicity. I have found it very easy to use. Just pull up to where your about to hit...look at the screen...done.
4-Distance of last shot. Now I KNOW how far my shots are for each club.
5-I googled the words "golf GPS & forum". I'm not dissing the Sky Caddy, but wow...there are some really bent guys out there mad at Sky Caddy. The main issue seemed to be service related.

Bought mine new off e-bay...269.00 plus the year fee.
I also use a Bushnell rangefinder on my job. It cost about 240.00 and works great...but not quick. I have to hold it very still for long distances 200 yds+ and there better be something flat to bounce off or it doesn't work.

I love my SkyCaddie SG4.

I feel lonely without it.

"I say pick it up a******. Put it in your pocket. You're lucky you found it. Go the **** home will ya?"

--George Carlin

i been using a skycaddie sg5 for the last 3 rounds. its great. i only got that model cuz i got great deal on it on ebay for $300. its really easy to use. jus got to read up on some of the finer functions.

i recommend to it to any golfer wanting to know yardages and more.

What's in my Premium stand bag:

Driver: 909 D2 Voodoo Stiff
Hybrid: 909H 17* Voodoo Stiff
Irons: MP-52 5-PW Project X 5.0Wedges: Vokey 200 50, SM 54, 58, and 62Putter: Newport Studio 2 34"Ball: ProV1x, Bridgestone 330

get the rangefinder you can point it at anything push a button and you have got the yardage they are very easy to use

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

• 1 month later...
Hi:

I have a Skycaddie SG3 and have used it for over a year about 60 times. I have no experience with GolfLogix powered by Garmin but I have nothing against Garmin since I have a Nuvi 350 GPS in my car and I love it. I can tell you I also love the Skycaddie. It does give you yardages automatically to hazards, the ends of fairways, distances to clear hazards and importantly for me, the front, middle and back of the greens. I love the fact that Intelligreen rotates the green from your shot angle to give you the proper perspectice and yardage for your shot. I believe this to be essential for good scoring. True the costs for subscriptions range up to $60 dollars for complete worldwide use but I rarely travel outside of the US so do not use this option. A subscription to cover your state is $29.95 and to cover all of the US is $49.95. This is obviously higher than Garmin but I like the idea that the course was actually walked by a mapper rather than mapped by satelite (as Garmin does). In addition I know my home course underwent extensive renovations within the last year and Skycaddie was out within a month to remap the new dimensions. I have noticed some differences with course yardage markers verus the skycaddie distances but these were usually only by a yard or two. I am not that accurate for this to matter much. Most times I have found yardages(on over 30 different courses both in and out of state) are very accurate or identical when I happen to have my ball exactly beside a course yardage marker so I can compare.

I can easily justify changing to a "better" GPS because of the number of rounds I play a year but have seen no compelling reason to do so since the SG3 seems to handle my requirements. I have even looked at upgrading to a Skycaddie SG4 or SG5 but feel they do not offer enough additional features for the way I use my current model.

Good luck with your decision

• 4 months later...
bump this back up to the top for more votes....
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have any thoughts on the Sonnocaddie?

In the Bag
Driver:Burner07 9.5 NV 75 S
3-woodBurner07 15 degree NV 65 S
HybridRescue Mid 19 degree NVS 85 S
IronsRAC LT 4-PW Project X 5.5 shaftsWedgesCG 12 52,56,60PutterNewport 2 Custom Shop 35inBallProV1 or TaylorMade TP redShoes: All kinds. I have a bit of a shoe problem. As in I like...

Anyone have any thoughts on the Sonnocaddie?

My friend has the V300 which has the ability to do stat tracking.

It works well but doesn't depict doglegs very accurately. It has a lifetime one time fee. It is waterproof (or resistant) but the lime green color does turn me off. I am torn between the Sonocaddie V300 and the uPro. The uPro can plot your strategy (i.e. play from the green to the tee box). However, it is not waterproof, like the Sonocaddie and there is a subscription fee. I don't like the annual fee schemes by Skycaddie. I like the feature of SG3 with your option of using conventional batteries (or rechargeables) rather than factory/proprietary types. Sureshot GPS looked promising (stat tracking) but some reviews are less than stellar. Golflogix looks promising and simple in design but I wanted something with stat-tracking. I don't know much about Golfbuddy, but it looks promising.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

My friend has the V300 which has the ability to do stat tracking.

I ordered a GolfLogix. I get a good price with my course employee discount, and I have faith in the Garmin GPS technology ( I love my Garmin Nuvi GPS for my car). I wouldn't own a SkyCaddy because it's made by Magellan, and they have one of the worst reputations in the GPS industry for dependability, and particularly for bad customer service. I also liked the simplicity of it. I'll still use my Bushnell V2 in conjunction with the GPS for the best info from both worlds.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. I have used it this year. I found it to be great. The only problems I have encountered -- I forgot to download a course and the battery did not charge properly due to low power on my USB hub. On the later, that particular hub is not powered; so switched to a powered hub, no problem.

Signals are always good. Easy to read. Courses and greens are very accurate. It is really nice to measure distance up to and on to the green. The marking feature is improved to track all strokes, club, and lie, though you do not have to do any details.

I like the intelligreen/greensense feature. It assists in making those approachs and getting a good sense on the distances. Using the green perimeter really helps make the distance measurement easy. You can use the golf guru even up to the edge of the green unlike some that stop short.
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

• 1 month later...
Anyone using the golf guru. Reviews look good plus no annual subscription.

I'll be getting my Golf Guru color on Monday. They are Mac compatible as well only if you have an Intel Mac. Free course downloads, if they don't have your course in the database, just call and they'll have the course available in 7 days.

I'll post more on this unit as I get some experience with it.

"Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness."
William Wordsworth

Gear:
Callaway FT-S Driver Nike VR Blades/wedges TM Ghøst Putter.

Note: This thread is 5550 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!