IGNORED

Biggest jerk on the tour?

easygrip
Note: This thread is 826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Moving this thread up with the comments about Michelle Wie at the Lorena Ochoa (and other places) although I didn't see it myself.

Moments I have seen. Dave Eichelberger burying a wedge up to the grip (a real trick) huge temper and a JERK. Followed Elkington a few holes many years ago to watch his swing, what a JERK. Followed Weiskopf a few holes many years ago, he had a fit when someone jingled some change during a practice round and as he waited to hit a tee shot when the group ahead had just left the tee. JERK. But nice swing though :-)

OTOH, a few comments here that Trevino was a jerk, never saw that. One time on a hole that was a 3 wood off the tee and wedge in he cold topped the three wood, and then hit another 3 wood on and over the green. Got to the green and told everyone he "hit my wedge off the tee and my 3 wood into the green" pretty funny!

On the LPGA the nicest that stands out was Joanne Carner years ago, what a nice lady and good golfer. Only planned to follow her a hole or two and ended up following her the whole round, she talked with me and others the whole way around. Felt like I had a new friend.

Steve

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haven't read through all  19 pages so don't know if this one was said, but my friend swears the biggest D-Bag on tour is Gary Woodland. He's told me a couple stories. Like most on here, its 2nd and 3rd hand so who really knows.

The times ive seen gary woodland with his sly grin and way he walks makes me feel like hes like reed and full of himself.Theres only one way to truly know about someone and that's away from the camera.You can watch them do interviews with nascar drivers and as soon as they think camera is off after interview its like they turn from smile to get me away from these people in a heartbeat.Thats why I love mickelson,even if the camera isn't exactly on him or hes just out there hes always very happy looking.The only time I think he was upset is this year at Valhalla when they let rory play up.I could tell on phils face he was not not amused about that.

• 2 months later...

Without question i think Colin Montgomerie has to be one of the worst

I remember many years ago going to watch the final round of the British Masters at woburn when Monty was in his prime.

He was well down the field and having a bad day but we caught up with him on the back 9 when he was about to tee off on a par 4. As he's going through his pre shot routine he shouts over to one of the 'quiet please' volunteers stood at the edge of the tee box to put down his sign. The guy clearly either didn't hear him or didn't realise he was the one Monty was talking to and his sign remained in the air. Monty then screamed at the top of his voice' TAKE DOWN THAT SIGN'. The guy realised then and quickly popped down his sign. Monty proceeded to pull his drive well into the left rough and stomped off down the fairway.

There were about 20 people around the tee box and nobody said a word, just looked at each other in amazement. I really felt for the poor guy who was very elderly, well into his 60s and to be humiliated in front of people like that for doing nothing wrong was nothing short of disgraceful.

To this day i still regret not speaking out and challenging monty at the time, im amazed nobody did but no doubt anyone speaking out would have probably been thrown off the course and Monty would have been allowed to carry on his merry way.

Quite why he thought he had the right to speak to someone in such a manner is completely beyond me.

Was always glad he never won a major after that

Looks like just about everybody has been covered. A single person sport mostly created from Country Club republican breeding...  I would guess most here would be the same way if you were rich from tour money, your life was spent around having to deal with the HELP 24/7. Nothing is ever done right by anyone but you.....

Is this JERK thread on peoples opinions of lifestyle ? Don't think that should count. Sabatini has a bad Ex wife, probably hits the bars and girls as much as possible. Gave honest opinions years ago about tiger. Does this make him a jerk ? Not everyone leads the perfect life depicted on TV. Or the one so many think is perfect.... If you came home and caught your wife in bed with the 21 year old gardner, lost your cool, beat him up and slapped her, threw stuff around your house and then got arrested for assult, desturbing the peace, ressiting arrest, etc. would you be considered a jerk or just a passionate person that was really really upset....

Just curious about what answers would be....Can't state - my wife would never do that so I don't have to worry about it. It is really hard to imagine yourself in such a position. I really don't know how I would respond. Doesn't make a difference because I am not in the public eye...

• 3 weeks later...

Hands Down Biggest jerk on the tour has to be DAVID SIMMS .Dont y ou should know he hates old people, children, and dogs

:-D

Can you people not see that I'm busy? I'm working. This is my office. Do I come to your office and ask for an autograph? I don't think so. What an ugly dog.

Ok Sorry for the Tin Cup reference. When I was at the Colonial one year, I noticed Mr Scotty Cameron acting like most other rich self absorbed jerks. Although he is not actually on the tour so to say. He can make some nice putters. I approached many tour players on practice day, and they were not too willing to sign autographs.

• 1 month later...

Who have you heard is/ was the biggest jerk on the tour? What have you heard about them that made you think so?

A lot of the marshalls and volunteers that I've talked to never have anything good to say about Vijay.

On the other end, Watney gets a lot of praise - nice guy.

I remember many years ago going to watch the final round of the British Masters at woburn when Monty was in his prime.

He was well down the field and having a bad day but we caught up with him on the back 9 when he was about to tee off on a par 4. As he's going through his pre shot routine he shouts over to one of the 'quiet please' volunteers stood at the edge of the tee box to put down his sign. The guy clearly either didn't hear him or didn't realise he was the one Monty was talking to and his sign remained in the air. Monty then screamed at the top of his voice' TAKE DOWN THAT SIGN'. The guy realised then and quickly popped down his sign. Monty proceeded to pull his drive well into the left rough and stomped off down the fairway.

There were about 20 people around the tee box and nobody said a word, just looked at each other in amazement. I really felt for the poor guy who was very elderly, well into his 60s and to be humiliated in front of people like that for doing nothing wrong was nothing short of disgraceful.

To this day i still regret not speaking out and challenging monty at the time, im amazed nobody did but no doubt anyone speaking out would have probably been thrown off the course and Monty would have been allowed to carry on his merry way.

Quite why he thought he had the right to speak to someone in such a manner is completely beyond me.

Funny you said this.  I was at the Greater Gwinnett Championship yesterday, and Monty got onto one of the marshals for being where he could see him during his backswing.  He wasn't as rude as you described about it, but I thought it was sort of uncalled for.  The guy was just standing there with his "Hush Y'all" sign up.  It wasn't like he was waving it around.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I've witnessed a player or too doing that - Jerry Kelly coming to mind. Never liked him since. But I figure the players are pissed because of the way their playing. I'd boo them in the future or in the case that you described with Monty. Show some respect to these volunteers.......

' [quote name="Rick Martin" url="/t/11719/biggest-jerk-on-the-tour/342#post_1131135"]  A lot of the marshalls and volunteers that I've talked to never have anything good to say about Vijay. On the other end, Watney gets a lot of praise - nice guy. [/quote]My father was a marshall at one of the President's Cup in the DC area. He was behind a par 3 with a steep slope on the side . DL3 was following a match,along with some tour wives, and my father warned them about the slick conditions on the slope, and suggested they go around. They all thanked him, and did as he suggested. A few minutes later Vijay came along, and my father gave him the same advice which he ignored. He got near the top of the slope, and his feet slipped, and he slid all the way to the bottom. He was wearing white pants. He glared at my father when he first gave the advice, and gave him a look like he was to blame after he slipped. When play was done on that hole, DL 3 came over thanked my father,shook his hand, and did his best not to bust out laughing.

I've witnessed a player or too doing that - Jerry Kelly coming to mind. Never liked him since. But I figure the players are pissed because of the way their playing. I'd boo them in the future or in the case that you described with Monty. Show some respect to these volunteers.......

Jerry Kelly really? He was one of the most down to earth players I have ever met. Even though I can count on one hand how many PGA players I have met, lol.

> Many people believe that Rory Sabattini is the biggest jerk on tour, due to his behaviour inside and outside of the ropes.

He came to Hawaii. I brought my kids. He was constantly complaining about every bad shot he made. About the bunkers, about the lies. Then he swore and threw his ball into the bush. My daughter was young and she was shocked. Me? I thought it was interesting...

That is strange concerning Kelly who has the reputation of being one of the nicest guys on tour. Guess everyone has a bad day once in a while.

Ross (aka cubdog)

> Dave Eichelberger burying a wedge up to the grip

Wow! If it's the same person, I got to play a pro am with Dave. He was really, really nice and complimenting us and talking about all the different places he has played. I guess when you are competing, the worse can come up!

>Dave Eichelberger burying a wedge up to the grip

Wow! If it's the same person, I got to play a pro am with Dave. He was really, really nice and complimenting us and talking about all the different places he has played. I guess when you are competing, the worse can come up!

Maybe nothing had happened to make him mad. Or he was old and mellow by then :-)

>Dave Eichelberger burying a wedge up to the grip

I don't care how soft the ground was, I don't think this would be possible. Maybe he had 31" grips on his wedge ?

Oh its possible. In front of the 13th green in the 1978 US Open (I had camped out there). He was sooooooo pissed, had just hit a little pitch really fat. He did an overhand slash that PK Subban would have been proud of. The ground was probably wet and sandy (right above a sandy area/stream) but nonetheless he buried it up to about an inch or two of the grip. He had good technique so I'm sure he had done it before, but just consider the energy it took to do that. Took him awhile to wiggle it out of the ground.

I don't have a huge problem with some cussing, but big time club throwing is uncool. What a :mad:

Steve

Well put.

I was at The Lakes in 1980 (trusting memory here) when Greg Norman won his first Australian Open. Norman had about a 10 foot downhill putt on the 18th to win. A guy behind me yelled something out and I turned arround and told him to shut up and he behaved as if he was at a pub and I'd dissed him for no reason. Dickhead followed me off the course threatening me.

Might have been trying to influence the outcome of a wager.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!