IGNORED

Biggest jerk on the tour?

easygrip
Note: This thread is 830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What went on at Brookline had a lot to do with the crowds that were let in at the event...Too much beer and too much sun.

I don't disagree with that statement at all... K-club was a proper win with mostly respectable crowds... except maybe the streaker

... but at Brookeline the crowd was out of control at times, and often disrespectful. This still does not mean that only in America could such a thing happen... hell people die in stampede's at soccer games in the UK. Given the right circumstances the same thing could happen elsewhere... but lets hope it doesn't.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

• Administrator
The main issue is the fact that firstly he ran all over olazabel's line

NOBODY on the U.S. team ran on Olazabal's line. I distinctly recall Ollie saying that himself.

He was just put off - as most people were - by the premature celebration and the fact that he had to wait.
hey now... wait just a minute... there are azzholes everywhere. It was a disgrace, but it could happen in other places too. Lets not be too hasty to throw around that "only an American" bullshi*.

Agreed.

Sure, it was noisy and boistrous at The K Club in Ireland, but when the Euros won there was no rubbing their opponents nose in it.

There was no dramatic, huge, come-from-behind win at the K Club, either, now was there? The U.S. fans didn't go all apeshit when the U.S. was drubbing the Euros back in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s either, did they?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was no dramatic, huge, come-from-behind win at the K Club, either, now was there? The U.S. fans didn't go all apeshit when the U.S. was drubbing the Euros back in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s either, did they?

I think there's only been any kind of issue since the RC became competitive, in 1983 (with the exception of 'the concession'). Before then, there wasn't any crowd to get excited about anything...

I have seen some similar crowd misbehaviour with the Solheim Cup, recently, which is a shame. So my vote for biggest jerk goes to - the people who don't know how to behave on the course, whether spectating or playing.

So my vote for biggest jerk goes to - the people who don't know how to behave on the course, whether spectating or playing.

Well put.

I was at The Lakes in 1980 (trusting memory here) when Greg Norman won his first Australian Open. Norman had about a 10 foot downhill putt on the 18th to win. A guy behind me yelled something out and I turned arround and told him to shut up and he behaved as if he was at a pub and I'd dissed him for no reason. Dickhead followed me off the course threatening me.

Every pro that I have met personally was a complete and total jerk. They are just about all unbelievably arrogant prima donnas.

Much like Tiger Woods saying no amateur could break 100 at the U. S. Open. They all seem to think they are Gods. The more successful they are the worse they are, and the young and successful are unbearable.

Further, the image they present on TV is total bull; they all behave like rock stars and revel in late night carousing, drinking, women chasing and generally raising hell when off the golf course. The ones who pretend to be family men are often the worst at this behavior.

At one time I was the Executive VP of a land development company that started up one of the TPCs where a major tournament is held annually. One of my duties was "showing" the course to pros before the course was officially open (they all seemed to want the experience and to give their caddies a chance to start a course book); that is actually playing a round with one or more at a time. I was also expected to take them to dinner and "entertain" them, which usually just meant listening to them boast and brag and paying their huge bar bills. Fortunately, we had another VP at our firm who actually wanted to do this and as soon as I could, I put most of this chore on him.

Frankly, I would have rather played with whomever I could get matched with by the starter at a public course.

Th only pros I found I always enjoyed following were Lee Trevino and Chi Chi Rodriegez.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

Many years ago, a caddy at Bay Hill told me that without any question Curtis Strange was the biggest jerk around. (in his prime)

still is when you see him giving interviews.......

a bit dated but.....Hale Irwin

I'd have to second this one. I've heard stories over the years about this guy (he's from my area). I didn't want to believe it either because he's a local guy (although says he's from Hawaii now or something), but I saw him at the Sr. Open here in St. Louis a few years back coming off the practice range very early in the morning. Maybe 20 folks watching the range. As he made his way to the clubhouse, this kid, maybe 8 or 10 asked him for an autograph on his program and was reaching out to him with a sharpie. And Hale says "don't point that at me" in a very stern way. Just thought it was a prick move. I'm sure those guys are bombarded and they have bad days like all of us, but jesus, one person asking for your autograph and he's 10. No reason for it. Good thing I am without flaws and have the patience of Job!!

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

... but

I'm sorry but it made me laugh when you blasphemed in the first sentence, then compared your patience to a biblical person in the second.

• Upvote 1
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I'd have to say Montgomery and Norman during the Johnny Walker Tout in the Philippines,they both ignored and went the opposite way when myself and a couple of my buddies to ask for autographs(we were volunteer "quiet please" sign holders)..LOL!

But Els was cool enough to call the rest of our friends watching onto the fairway to sign and take pics with him..

Driver- HiBore XL 9.5°
Hybrids- #3,#4 and #5
Irons- RAC CB/MB combo
Wedge- Vokey 52° Oil Can
56° CG-1060° CG-10Putter- CorzaBall-Bag- '08 Monaco

I'd have to say Montgomery and Norman during the Johnny Walker Tout in the Philippines,they both ignored and went the opposite way when myself and a couple of my buddies to ask for autographs(we were volunteer "quiet please" sign holders)..LOL!

It sounds as if you approached them during the round. If so, I'm not surprised they walked on by!!

Els must have been well out of it if he took time to pose for pics, tho. Or have I misunderstood?

It sounds as if you approached them during the round. If so, I'm not surprised they walked on by!!

Els was during his practice round,the other two were in the parking lot of the same day..

Driver- HiBore XL 9.5°
Hybrids- #3,#4 and #5
Irons- RAC CB/MB combo
Wedge- Vokey 52° Oil Can

Handicap: 12+

Is there a reason your handicap is listed as 12+... you know + means better than par. e.g. Tiger, Phil, and every other touring pro is on the + side of par... while we mortals are generally just 5, 10, 16, etc.

• Administrator
Is there a reason your handicap is listed as 12+... you know + means better than par. e.g. Tiger, Phil, and every other touring pro is on the + side of par... while we mortals are generally just 5, 10, 16, etc.

+ only means that when it's left of the number. He's clearly saying he's a "12 or higher."

What this has to do with the topic is beyond me, so let's get back to it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

+ only means that when it's left of the number. He's clearly saying he's a "12 or higher."

Sorry for the confusion,I didnt know anything about the "+"...I meant i shoot 12 over or a bit higher..My bad...

Driver- HiBore XL 9.5°
Hybrids- #3,#4 and #5
Irons- RAC CB/MB combo
Wedge- Vokey 52° Oil Can

I think Greg Norman in his day was as big a jerk as they come. John Feinstrin pretty much said the same thing in 'A Good Walk Spoiled'. Greg's idea of the World Tour and the PGA Tour's World Tour are so vastly different that I cannot believe that Norman has a beef with Finchem over this and his "they stole my idea" theory.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Els was during his practice round,the other two were in the parking lot of the same day..

'Kay. I stand corrected.

In my experience, tho, people at the top of their trees are incredibly focussed. Doesn't matter if it's golf, rock'n'roll, motor racing, whatever - don't try to get close when they're on their game. That doesn't make them jerks - it makes them focussed.

Note: This thread is 830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!