IGNORED

Biggest jerk on the tour?

easygrip
Note: This thread is 826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It is beyond my understanding how any professional athlete could let themselves be a jerk. They are PLAYING A GAME FOR MONEY. They, more than any other human on this earth, should all feel the responsibility to be bastions of good conduct.

It's something that the majority of law enforcement officers, and nearly every fireman or soldier I've met, can be the epitome of class and respect, despite having such dangerous jobs. Yet so many professional athletes are complete scuzbuckets.

I'm glad to hear of the ones that are full of class and dignity. I'll support those people. Not the jerks.

Jess

• Administrator
thts hilarious. looked like there were some pissed of peta types on that board

I'm far from a PETA type, but what he did was inexcusable. You think people get mad when they're hit into by a foursome behind them? This guy tried to hit a bird, then rejoiced when he did. Not cool.

My vote is for Ian Poulter.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OK? How about a thread about who is the nicest person on tour? Enough with all the negativity.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

thts hilarious. looked like there were some pissed of peta types on that board

You missed the point completely.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Anytime someone calls Bubba's name when he's not busy (ex. walking off the range today) he didn't even respond. No nod of the head, wave, tip of the cap - nothing. Seems like a jerk to me. I mean, I'm not looking for a full engaging conversation, but at least acknowledge your fans as you walk over to the putting green. It's not like he's about to hit his shot on the course.

I've noticed the same thing with Tiger in practice rounds. I've been to several Master's practice rounds and I have never seen him smile or acknowledge the crowd following him. I know he is serious about his preparation for a major, but you would think a tip of the cap would be an easy thing to do as he played his round. But I'm not calling him a jerk. He does a lot of good things through his Foundation and he always does a good job with his interviews, unlike Sergio a few others.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• Administrator
I've noticed the same thing with Tiger in practice rounds. I've been to several Master's practice rounds and I have never seen him smile or acknowledge the crowd following him. I know he is serious about his preparation for a major, but you would think a tip of the cap would be an easy thing to do as he played his round. But I'm not calling him a jerk. He does a lot of good things through his Foundation and he always does a good job with his interviews, unlike Sergio a few others.

I think for some, and especially like someone like Tiger, not doing something as simple as tipping the cap is a result of two things:

1) If he tips it once, he'd have to tip it 100 more times. It'd never stop. 2) Even tipping it once takes him out of his concentration mode for a few seconds. We can marvel at how focused Tiger is or we can want him to tip his cap once or twice (which means 100s of times) - we can't have both. Tiger's walked past his wife and not seen her - he's just that focused. Especially since you know what his wife looks like...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
I've never thought much about it. I've always liked Mickelson and he's definitely a fan favorite and he seems to treat his fans well... but I've heard a few times that among his fellow PGA Tour players he is very unpopular. Seems strange that somebody so well liked by fans is so unpopular among his fellow Tour players.

There is no one player that I really want to single out for my personal dislike. Compared to what athletes in other sports have done to mar their image the worst of the worst on the PGA Tour really do not seem that bad. In general golfers seem have more class than other professional athletes.

I think for some, and especially like someone like Tiger, not doing something as simple as tipping the cap is a result of two things:

Honestly, I was shocked to see Tiger's name come up in this thread. He played in Houston at Champions Golf Club once - I think it was an important tournament, but being 8 or 9 or something like that I didn't really know at the time and consequently can't remember now - and in between holes I was standing next to the rope and I said "Good luck Tiger, you can do it" and he looked at me and smiled and gave a little wave of his hand. If anyone's a class act, it's Tiger.

Also, I've read somewhere that while Vijay Singh isn't a fan favorite, he's actually very well-liked by most guys on tour. And vice versa with Phil Mickelson...

Driver: 10.5* 909 D3
Hybrid: 585.H Utility Metal
3-PW: Z-B Forged
50*, 54*, 58*: Vokey Spin Milled Wedges
Putter: Pro Platinum 35"Ball: Pro V1 (when I can afford them)

Where id you read the thing about Phil? I have been in a few clubhouses and most of the guys are laughing and having a good time with Phil. He seems like (atleast when I have been there) a guy that many of the players on tour like a lot.

One incident or two doesn't make someone a jerk. I just watched Paula have a little fit about being timed, then a double and then another. That doesn't make her a jerk.

The jerk is the one that people are appreciative of, and respectful to and NEVER shows appreciation to the fans. As much as I dislike Sergio, I cannot say that he is a jerk.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

• 2 years later...

heard a story about a member at an Orlando club introducing a Midwestern PGA teaching pro to Norman on the range at the club. Maybe took 45 seconds away from Norman's practice session and it was a huge thrill for this teaching pro. Norman acted cordial and friendly when meeting the guy but yhere was a note waiting in the member's locker that night telling him that if he ever interrupted Mr. Norman on the range again he would be kicked out of the club.

I saw Justin Leonard yell at a camera man after lagging a 100 foot putt to tap in range. Apparently he thought he would have made the triple breaking, downhill, uphill and downhill again putt had it not been for the photographer's click. Napoleon Dynamite!

So far, Tiger Woods.  But I've noticed a lot of guys on tour aren't great people in general.  Sabbatini seems like a nice guy that had a few bad days to me.  I heard he put sunscreen in Ben Crane's locker after their incident because he found out Ben's wife had skin cancer.  I think he's just misunderstood and should be given a chance.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by easygrip

Who have you heard is/ was the biggest jerk on the tour? What have you heard about them that made you think so?

I've heard bad things about Sabbatini and Couples. Can't really say 100% if I think they are jerks because I really don't pay much attention to them. Rory McIlroy definitely comes off as a big one in my opinion. Even in interviews...his attitude is just cocky and arrogant and I'm not a big fan of that.

It really surprises me how people say Tiger Woods is...I can see you using the swearing as evidence, but other than that, he's a very nice guy and I'm sure anyone on Tour would tell you that. He jokes with others and always has a good time out there and is nice to everyone. He loves and appreciates his fans, and gives back to the community. He's not a jerk.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

I've heard bad things about Sabbatini and Couples. Can't really say 100% if I think they are jerks because I really don't pay much attention to them. Rory McIlroy definitely comes off as a big one in my opinion. Even in interviews...his attitude is just cocky and arrogant and I'm not a big fan of that.

It really surprises me how people say Tiger Woods is...I can see you using the swearing as evidence, but other than that, he's a very nice guy and I'm sure anyone on Tour would tell you that. He jokes with others and always has a good time out there and is nice to everyone. He loves and appreciates his fans, and gives back to the community. He's not a jerk.

You think McIlroy comes off as a jerk? I'm not a huge fan of his, but "jerk" is not a word I would use to describe him, especially given his interviews. As for Tiger, he might fall short of jerk status, but he's not the world's nicest guy either.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Tiger didn't say no amateur could break 100 at the US Open. He said no 10 handicap amateur could break 100 at Oakmont with the US open setup. There is a huge difference. That tournament was won in +5 over par.  Saying no amateur could break 100 on that setup might be bit of hyperbole (i.e if 100k 10 handicaps play the course, a couple will have the day of their lives) but it does try and get the point across that shooting a +1 round there is not the same as shooting a +1 at your local course.

Originally Posted by SirMilton

Every pro that I have met personally was a complete and total jerk. They are just about all unbelievably arrogant prima donnas.

Much like Tiger Woods saying no amateur could break 100 at the U. S. Open. They all seem to think they are Gods. The more successful they are the worse they are, and the young and successful are unbearable.

Note: This thread is 826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!