IGNORED

advice needed

sqengineer69
Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I have been looking for advice on this for a while, but can't seem to get any that is good. Here is the background:

Been playing golf around 20 years off and on, and been out a total of maybe 30 times. I haven't played in 4 years, but it is now pretty much a job necessity, and I'm itching to play again. Here is my dilemma. (I apologize ahead of time for the length, and thanks for the patience)

I started golfing when I was 15 with my Dad. I am a natural swinging lefty, having played baseball my whole childhood. My first few golf outings, I could hit the ball far, but NEVER straight. My Dad took me to the driving range and turned me around to the right side, and voila, straight as an arrow (well, maybe not right away). I started playing from the right and have ever since.

The big problem is I'm a big guy, but I hit it like a sissy because I just can't generate power from the right side. Very embarrassing. I have hit a lefty driver at the range a few times and I crush the ball, but rarely straight. Quite a conundrum.

So, do stay on the right and continue to embarrass myself but shoot somewhere in the high 80's, low 90's, or do I scrap the whole thing and re-teach myself the game from my naturally dominant left side? Can a pro help me with this decision if I go for a lesson? It's not like I'm any good now, but other than the lack of power, I can go out as is now and play as good as some of my co-workers.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading my novel length post.

If you are shooting in the 80s, I say you have nothing to be embarassed about regardless of how far you drive the ball. But lessons sound like the way to go. A good instructor may be able to look at your lefty swing, suggest a few minor tweeks and get you straightened out.

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

Thanks Snake, much appreciated, but I think I should have been a little more honest...88-89 is a VERY rare occurrence. I'm usually more 93-95, even on an easy course. And of course that was 4 or 5 years ago! Give me a break, everyone shaves a few strokes off..

But my drive is really embarrassing. Straight most of the time, but 200-225 at best. I used to get the old "Hit it Alice" or "Does your husband play golf too?" quotes quite often from my buddies.

I think you have a pretty good talent being able to hit both ways.

Ya Hitting in the 80's is nothing to be emberassed about. I'd go to an instructor, and tell him your situation, tell him the exact thing you told us. He will probably get you to swing both ways and then Suggest which way works more for you and you can go from there.

Good luck!
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

being lefthanded myself I may be biased but I would play which ever felt more natural and work to fix any flaws I might have that way,I think you can train to increase swing speed which will lead to more distance.Accuracy?Practice Practice Practice

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Dude, keep your current set, and just put a lefty driver in your bag! That would be awesome, hitting from both sides!

Honestly, 200-220 is short, but not that short. I would stick with righty, and go with accuracy. I'm sure you can learn to turn and get some better power!
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I'm usually more 93-95, even on an easy course. And of course that was 4 or 5 years ago! Give me a break,

uhm... NO they don't!

I used to get the old "Hit it Alice" or "Does your husband play golf too?" quotes quite often from my buddies.

"You want me to hold your purse while you hit"

"you sure you don't want to play from the ladies tee" "is that a new Wal-Mart they're putting in.... between my ball and yours" that's what friends are for... to make smart-ass comments... sounds like a good group. Seriously though... what is stopping you from generating power? It seems like with practice you could swing just as hard either way... power has mostly to do with the turn, lag, etc., not raw strength.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

If I could trade 50 yards on my drive for accuracy I could count on....any day.
I would think though that with a little training and some proper instruction you should be able to generate power from the right side. Or for that matter, accuracy from the left.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Note: This thread is 5837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!