IGNORED

Matching Driver and Woods?

Note: This thread is 5836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm new to buying clubs and am wondering if it is necessary to buy the same type of fairway woods as your driver? For example, would I be alright using a TaylorMade r7 Draw Driver along with Callaway Big Bertha fairway woods? Does it matter if the brands are the same with different clubs, or does it not make a difference at all?

If you hit them both well play whatever you like!
I personally prefer matching woods, just cause I like the asthetics of it.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

like ive said a million times before... Actually playing is only a bonus part of the game... Equipment is where its at!!!

Buy like 4 different bag arrangements. God I need more clubs.

I'd recommend considering different manufacturers. For example, I love Titleist drivers and can't imagine playing anything else. The aesthetics feel and playability are great for me. But, their fairway woods were a little to challenging and my V steel 3 wood is the best club in my bag. I agree with the other post. There are too many clubs and not enough time to test them all. Although, if you're just starting out and this is your first big set then I wouldn't worry about it too much for now.

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

I have OCD, kinda, so I hate when people do not have matching woods. As far as playability goes, it doesn't matter at all.

"Eliminate All Compensations."

Bag: 2008 Warbird
Driver: R7 425 10.5 (s)
3 wood: R7 stIrons: RAC MB TP 2-PWWedges: SV 56*10, SV Black Satin 60*10Putter: Anser 4Balls: Black

I have OCD, kinda, so I hate when people do not have matching woods. As far as playability goes, it doesn't matter at all.

Uh, oh....My bag might upset you.....lol

Driver:  Ping G15 9* with Talamonti 70x shaft
3 Wood/Hybrid:  Taylormade Rescue TP 17*
3-PW Irons:  Ping G15 Green Dot KBS 90 shafts
Gap Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTG
Sand Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGLob Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGPutter:  OdysseyBall:  Bridgestone 330-RXS or 330-SBag:  Generic

I agree with the posts above as well. I have a TaylorMade driver and an old Callaway Great Big Bertha 3 wood, and I love both of them. I do however also like the ascetics of having matching ones, so when I need new ones I am going to get matching ones so my bag will look better.
In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

I agree with the posts above as well. I have a TaylorMade driver and an old Callaway Great Big Bertha 3 wood, and I love both of them. I do however also like the ascetics of having matching ones, so when I need new ones I am going to get matching ones so my bag will look better.

Ascetics over performance?

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

Ascetics over performance?

Not at all. I should rephrase what I said, I'm probably going to get matching ones, but if I love a driver but hate the accompanying 3 wood, I won't get the 3 wood. But, since 3 woods often have similar technology to thier driver partners, it is likely that when I find the driver that I love, the 3 wood will work as well as most other 3 woods. But I am also a little OCD so I would like to see the same woods in the bag.

In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

That's awesome

OCD... nice! I bet it really pisses you off if the clubs aren't in the right slot in the bag. You must not be that bad though, you have a few different OEM's in the bag. I always thinks it's kind of funny to see that guy with the shinny new Taylormade or Nike bag... and everything in it is of that brand. You can tell they just bought the whole set... and when they tee off you can usually tell they just started playing, but had to go out and spend $2,000 on all that equipment that they can't use. I don't know what the deal is... but it is always TM or Nike... and the guy always looks like a total tool. I have matching... but I would play whatever works. Mine only match because they both work...
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I bet it really pisses you off if the clubs aren't in the right slot in the bag. You must not be that bad though, you have a few different OEM's in the bag.

Arg! I can not stand it when people put their clubs in the wrong spot. Like when a person puts their driver in their putter slot.

Maybe I am completely over-thinking it, but what does OEM stand for?

"Eliminate All Compensations."

Bag: 2008 Warbird
Driver: R7 425 10.5 (s)
3 wood: R7 stIrons: RAC MB TP 2-PWWedges: SV 56*10, SV Black Satin 60*10Putter: Anser 4Balls: Black

I haven't in the past....but will most likely do so now.

Over the years, my bag usually has the irons staying for a few years, though the drivers and woods only stick around a year or so at best.

I'm getting better, though.....My current stuff has been in the bag 5 years....3 of those years I haven't been playing hardly any.

That's changing now, though....getting back into golf and enjoying it. I'm looking at getting a more modern driver and 3 wood and maybe adding a hybrid. This time around, I may very well match them. The main two reasons are that I may be going with an oversized square head....it would be good to mate them up. The second reason is to get simular swing results with the shafts. The V2 shaft is to my liking so it'll most likely go in each.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Maybe I am completely over-thinking it, but what does OEM stand for?

Original Equipment Manufacturer - another words TM, Nike, Cleveland, Ping, Callaway, etc.... I gues I could have just said "you have a few different companies clubs."

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

That's awesome

Yea, its pretty sad when a guy walks out onto the course with almost everything in his bag is from the same company. Wait.... Um....

Its not really sad, but every club I have in my bag is what suited me the best off of the launch monitor. Everything was purchased within two weeks of the past item, because of all the time I spent hitting other clubs. The only club that I have not checked is my Driver, because I used to use the original quad and love the smaller, well smaller in this day and age, 425cc clubhead. I might be a walking advertisment for Taylormade out on the course, but for me the equipment works and thats all that matters. With that said, I wouldnt hesitate to change to another manufacturers club if it suited me better. If its whats best for you who cares man. Everyone wants to get better out there, and sacrificing playability for looks is just stupid.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

I asked the same Q on here a week or 2 ago... If I could, I'd have the same manufacturer & model woods, to add consistency between the 1 & 3. But, I hit my TM driver well, and I hit my Callaway 5 wood well.

Would be nice to have matching woods, but then again it all comes down to what you can hit well.

I guess 5-10 or so years ago it didn't matter so much as generic headcovers were more common so they all matched. Now though, with the head covers supplied with clubs, its more obvious when the clubs don't match in the bag.

Superquad
Fusion #3
Big Bertha Warbird #5
755 3-PW
Vokey SM56.10 & 60.08 White Hot 2-ball

You can tell they just bought the whole set... and when they tee off you can usually tell they just started playing, but had to go out and spend $2,000 on all that equipment that they can't use. I don't know what the deal is... but it is always TM or Nike... and the guy always looks like a total tool.

You're the tool.

Someone wants to start playing the game. They spend some money on equipment - possibly even advised by some of the "advice" on these boards, and you criticise them for it. I'd rather play with a keen newbie than a wanker who doesn't remember that we all have to start somewhere. Why shouldn't these people buy what they want? It's their money. No wonder people think this is a game for snobs.

Note: This thread is 5836 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!