IGNORED

Beginner golf clubs - is there much difference?

Note: This thread is 5840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For starters (fair warning), I am COMPLETELY new to the game. I don't know very much about golfing, aside from the basics. I have made ~5 trips to the driving range, and I am hooked already.

I have been looking around online at various sets of beginner clubs. I see that they range from $150 to $300ish for what seems to be the cheap stuff. Is there much of a difference between a ? I don't want to spend a ton of money, because I am a college student. I also am a very much a beginner, and I don't want to spend a lot of money to become uninterested.

Can some of you experienced players please offer some advice for a 20 year old guy wanting to get into the sport?

Here is a link to an intriguing set , or would it be worth it to come up with the extra money for something like this Wilson set?

to get started in the game, just pick up some clubs and start learning the swing. either one of those sets youre looking at would probably work fine. at this point, dont worry about clubs so much, but more about practice. you will notice a difference in clubs later on down the road, but not so much right now. if its possible to try out some different clubs, definately do so.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

You should buy the easy cheap stuff in the beginning. Almost always they are more forgiving. Don't buy anything expensive, in case you shouldn't like it you can always return it, but still. The easy, cheap stuff is far enough =)

You should buy the easy cheap stuff in the beginning. Almost always they are more forgiving. Don't buy anything expensive, in case you shouldn't like it you can always return it, but still. The easy, cheap stuff is far enough =)

What exactly do you mean more forgiving?

maybe get a cheap set of forgiving iron set from ebay. look for those with cavity back, easier to hit and straighter.

i'm new too. haha.

taylormade 2002 OS rac is cheap in ebay. should be less than 150. monitor ebay and remember to get from those seller with high and good feedback

My suggestion is to read About.com's

Golf Beginners FAQ ; it helped me immensely when I began. You are particularly looking for the part to read Before You Buy Your First Set of Golf Clubs
For starters (fair warning), I am COMPLETELY new to the game. I don't know very much about golfing, aside from the basics. I have made ~5 trips to the driving range, and I am hooked already.

Yeah, that happens.

I have been looking around online at various sets of beginner clubs. I see that they range from $150 to $300ish for what seems to be the cheap stuff. Is there much of a difference between a ? I don't want to spend a ton of money, because I am a college student. I also am a very much a beginner, and I don't want to spend a lot of money to become uninterested.

I was 22 when I began, and also in college. I bought a $200 set of starter irons to use at the range, and got my grandfather's old putter. You might want to get yourself a putter, too, if you don't have family members who played. I advise against using clubs older than a few years, or clubs that were fit for someone else, for reasons I can get into if you want. The irons and putter can get you started on short (par-3 and executive) courses.

What exactly do you mean more forgiving?

It might surprise you to know - it surprised me when I found out - that there are trade-offs in sets of golf clubs. "Forgiving" means you can mis-hit the club and still get a decent result, depending on how bad the mis-hit was. This means the ball will likely still get airborne and travel a good way for many mis-hits. You're also more likely to hit it high and straight.

The trade-off is workability. Suppose you want to hit it low or have it turn mid-flight. Doing this with very forgiving clubs is not very easy. However, for the clubs that you can use to "work" the ball, a mis-hit doesn't get you as good a result. Whether you want super game-improvement clubs, game improvement clubs, or players' irons is a discussion we have regularly about beginners and depends on your level of commitment. There are good players who began with super game-improvement clubs and worked their way up; others began with players' irons and are great players now. I don't know how often you intend to work on your game, to take lessons (if you're in school, campus recreation might have cheap group lessons to get you started), or if you're just going to go out and play with your friends once a month.
Part of my problem is that I dont know what I'm looking for

So, let's take a look at what you plan to get into. It's important to honestly evaluate this, so you don't spend money for a great set of clubs that you abandon a month later, nor do you get super-cheap clubs that just serve to anger you on a daily basis. The answers to the following questions should help us give you more useful feedback:

- How much time do you plan to spend working on your game, at the range and other practice facilities, to develop a swing and so on? (Despite the word "work" in my question, this can be quite fun to do) - How often do you intend to play, and with whom? - Do you intend to take lessons, and if so, from whom?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My suggestion is to read About.com's

I bolded the stuff I intended to address in my reply here.

I see many people talk about buying a set of starter irons. Does this mean something like what I posted? Or do you mean purchasing the IRONS only and purchasing a driver/putter separately? My brother-in-law golfs, though I'm not sure that he has extra clubs (putter/driver in question here). There is a driving range about a mile from where I live while off at college. They charge about $5 for a bucket of balls to hit there. I can easily go there once a week or so, and I would have no problem doing that. My university offers a golf class. I cant take it this summer due to a full schedule, and I would have trouble squeezing it in for Fall due to marching band time constraints. As for playing, I would probably go about once a month. I think I've answered everything you proposed. Thanks for the help.

I bolded the stuff I intended to address in my reply here.

There are "starter sets" of clubs, and many of those will work well for this unless your body type is significantly far from average (are you extraordinarily tall or small?).

I bought a super game-improvement (i.e., large cavity back) set of irons (4-P, S) and a 5-Wood from a clubmaker that was recommended by a friend of mine, although I see no harm in a full set. I later filled out the bag with the other clubs, although for a while I was using just the irons and a putter from my grandfather. I later filled out the bag with a driver, a 3-Wood, hybrids, and a modern putter. You may want to ask your brother-in-law if he has a few extra clubs that you can use while you're starting, too. This can save you some cash up front, and he might have good beginners clubs that he used. I frequently take my friends to the range and let them use my clubs, and I plan to put my initial set aside as a loaner set to friends who don't have clubs.
There is a driving range about a mile from where I live while off at college. They charge about $5 for a bucket of balls to hit there. I can easily go there once a week or so, and I would have no problem doing that. My university offers a golf class. I cant take it this summer due to a full schedule, and I would have trouble squeezing it in for Fall due to marching band time constraints. As for playing, I would probably go about once a month.

Given these constraints, I believe a traditional starter set will do just fine. If you find yourself playing far more often, or getting very good at it, you might want to get new clubs then, but that's probably at least a year and a half down the line.

As to the sets you linked to, I don't know enough about the NEXTT brand to comment, but Wilson is a trusted name in golf and has been for years. If I were beginning but knew what I know now, and had to choose between those two, I would probably go with the Wilsons for the extra $77, although I do remember how much money that was to me when I was 20. Both sets appear to have large cavity back irons, which I believe are good for a beginner at your level of commitment. And be sure to hang around the boards, we'll happily point you in the right direction on anything you ask about. And of course, if you have more questions about this, ask away.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

As to the sets you linked to, I don't know enough about the NEXTT brand to comment, but Wilson is a trusted name in golf and has been for years. If I were beginning but knew what I know now, and had to choose between those two, I would probably go with the Wilsons for the extra $77, although I do remember how much money that was to me when I was 20. Both sets appear to have large cavity back irons, which I believe are good for a beginner at your level of commitment. And be sure to hang around the boards, we'll happily point you in the right direction on anything you ask about. And of course, if you have more questions about this, ask away.

I wound up finding some Wilson Optimaxs for $125 and picked them up.

What ya think of that one?

I wound up finding some Wilson Optimaxs for $125 and picked them up.

Those look very nice, and I believe they will serve you well in your time as a golfer. They should support you nicely without doing all the work for you.

-- Michael | My swing! 

I know you already bought a set but for anyone else looking I purchased the Topflight set with graphite shafts for my wife.

http://tinyurl.com/6br6c2

I hit a few balls with them and they are great, I'd use them!

It looks like they are made by Callaway and for $200.00 plus five dollars shipping fromn TGW I don't see how you can go wrong.

The ladies set was $249 with graphite shafts.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Note: This thread is 5840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!