IGNORED

Club Fitting Question (specifically wedges)

Note: This thread is 5830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For those of you that have fitted clubs...did you also have your wedges fit to those specs as well? Is that a whole separate fitting?

I was talking to someone who has fitted clubs and they mentioned their 3 wedges (gap, SW and LW) are not fitted, they are just standard length and lie. Seems strange to me. Is that normal? Thoughts?

---------------------------

EDIT: sorry - another question on the same topic. I recently went for a fitting, went through the whole process and it was recommended that I add 1/2" and also adjust the lie angle at least 1 degree upright (he actually said 2 deg was recommended). But after testing different clubs (they were all 1/2" longer- one was 1 deg up, one was 2 deg up, and the other was standard lie with just the extra 1/2").

For me the most comfortable was the standard lie club, with an extra 1/2" on it. So my question is...trust the fitter and go with an adjusted lie angle or go with what FEELS good (standard lie, 1/2" added in length).

Thanks.

If you've gone to a reputable fitter, I say trust his numbers. What feels good to you is probably what you're most used to, not necessarily what is best for you. If you haven't had fitted clubs before, those could be different things.

Like you, my fitter recommended I go with a longer shaft and different lie angle than I had been using - including my wedges. I did, and after a brief period of adjustment I was happy I took his advice.

It's tough telling anyone in this sport what they should do regarding equipment, since so much of golf seems to be mental. If you THINK you've got clubs ill suited to your game, then it will become a self fulfilling prophecy no matter how much the cold numbers say otherwise. However, I personally believe the fitter knows better how your clubface is striking the ball, and how that could be improved with adjustments to your clubs. I think if you can get over rut of selecting clubs because they feel the same as all the other off-the-rack specs you've grown accustomed to, you'll be better off.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

My fitter recommended that I have my wedges extended and the bounce shaved down a bit. Perhaps your fitter might make the same recommendation?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

had my irons fit but not my wedges seems like an akward idea

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

yeah my 56 and 60 are not fitted everything else is

In My Edge Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw
3-Wood: Burner
3h,4h: Idea A2
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

I just bought a set of Mizuno MP-60 4-PW and Mizuno MP-T 51,56 and 60. All fitted 1/2 long and 1 degree upright. This is the second time I've been fitted. This is the first time I also bought the wedges at the same time and got fitted for them. Previously when I played the standard length wedges, I felt like I was bending way over. With the new fitted ones, I feel much more comfortable and the lengths are far more consistent. I'm very happy with the decision.

All fires eventually go out!

HiBore 10.5 Standard Shaft Stiff

MP-60 4-PW Dynamic Gold 300 MP-T 51,56,60 V-Foil HX Tour 56 (guess I'll be changing soon)

i dont even think you can have wedges fitted

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

i think you can

but when i chip i choke up a lot on my wedges(i get more feel) i dont no if I would like that if they were fitted

In My Edge Bag:
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

i dont even think you can have wedges fitted

You can have everything, fitted. From driver to putter. The thing with wedges is that normally, most amateur players won't have them fitted. Most pros, do, and have the bounce shaved, etc.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

damn pros with their fancy bounce shaved

In My Edge Bag:

My wedges were adjusted by a clubfitter for me and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I had my GW, SW and LW adjusted to be 1.5* flatter than they were and my LW was also bent a couple of degrees stronger to 58*. The flatter lie was done on his recommendation after watching me use them for about an hour on the range. The loft change on the LW was a personal preference. They were also fitted with DG S300's to match my irons, a lot of people like to use a softer flex shaft in their wedges but I have always liked them to be the same as my irons.

My SW and LW are just el cheapo Ram FX's but I really like the shape of them and they work great for me. I used them for about a year before I took them along to my clubfitter. Having your wedges fitted might not be for everyone but it worked wonders for me.

I got a free Gap wedge with my set of irons (a CG 14 too how sweet a deal is that ) and it is the same specs as my irons 1 inch longer and 3° up they have all my specs on file and can make the sand wedge and lob wedge to the same specs.

They're an extension of the irons fitted for you. Don't quite understand why you'd think the wedges would be any different, my friend.

When you go to a professional fitting, fitting thy wedges is understood.

At the big box retailers, bending is free with new wedge purchases, BTW. So if you've had your irons fitted and know your specs, you can buy your wedges new and have them bent as part of the purchase cost.

Doesn't include extending the shafts and grip replacement.

Just an FYI.

I got my new irons fitted to me, and got the wedges fit too.

The Mizuno fitting sheet has room for every club type except putter. I'm sure they have a way to fit putters, too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have Cleveland wedges and Adams irons... my irons are +2* upright and +1/2" long. I bought off the rack wedges because I found some at a golf show for about 1/2 price... I had length added to them to get the 52* to be 1/4" shorter than PW and the 58* to be 1/4" shorter than 52*. I have looked at the lie, and seem to be taking good uniform divots, so I'm not going to bend them.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Note: This thread is 5830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!