IGNORED

What effect does a reg flex shaft have on shot pattern

Note: This thread is 5828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got given a Hibore in regular flex and like the club but i feel like i cant use my natural swing because it is a regular flex... My swing speed is around the 105 mark but i have to slow my swing down to get any sort of control and it just doesnt feel right. What effect does swinging fast with a reg flex shaft have? Would putting in an aftermarket stiff shaft help and if so which one do you recomend, i have done a search on the net and there are just far too many to choose from! maybe a Proforce V2 i have read good reviews.

Having a shaft too whippy can cause some problems like a huge slice

This is caused from the shaft going ahead of the head of the club and opening the face.

If your swing is around that range, go get a stiff shaft.

On the other hand, i have around the same speed and I actually love a regular shaft. IT is whippy, but feels more controllable and I can hit better with it.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Thanks... I think I might have to upgrade the head just feels all over the place. From what i have read Cleveland stock shafts arent the best going around. Ill have to see if i can demo some, dont want to spend money and not get any difference

I got given a Hibore in regular flex and like the club but i feel like i cant use my natural swing because it is a regular flex... My swing speed is around the 105 mark but i have to slow my swing down to get any sort of control and it just doesnt feel right. What effect does swinging fast with a reg flex shaft have? Would putting in an aftermarket stiff shaft help and if so which one do you recomend, i have done a search on the net and there are just far too many to choose from! maybe a Proforce V2 i have read good reviews.

There are many shafts out there. I would suggest getting down to a clubfitter and test out the shafts (not so much the heads), try using a clubfitter that has the IMIX set-up from Callaway, as they have a tonne of shafts you can use to find the one you like.

I would automatically suggest a stiffer shaft. the last thing you would ever want to do is change your swing to suit the shaft.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

I would automatically suggest a stiffer shaft. the last thing you would ever want to do is change your swing to suit the shaft.

"Dont change for the club, make the club change for you"

Just thought of that.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I thought that it was the other way around. If a shaft is to whippy, it will cause a hook and to stiff will make you leave it out to the right. I am curious which way it goes as that may answer some of my questions about my swing.

Driver - R7 425 9.5*
3 Wood - 980 15*
Hybrid - Rescue Mid 19* & 16*
Irons - 735.CM 4-9
Wedges - 248.06, SM54.14, & SM60.08White Hot Tour #5 Ball - ProV1 XHome Course: The Island

I thought that it was the other way around. If a shaft is to whippy, it will cause a hook and to stiff will make you leave it out to the right. I am curious which way it goes as that may answer some of my questions about my swing.

I believe Dent has it right. I tend to leave a regular shaft out to the right - either slice or push, but it is swing dependent. A stiffer shaft won't lag as easy and the chances the club head will stay with the hands is greater producing a straighter shot, for lack of explaining it better.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

If your swing speed is real fast, and you're playing with a regular shaft, you'll hook the ball like hell. If your swing speed is too slow, and you're playing with a stiff shaft, you'll leave it right. It's a simple concept.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

If your swing speed is real fast, and you're playing with a regular shaft, you'll hook the ball like hell. If your swing speed is too slow, and you're playing with a stiff shaft, you'll leave it right. It's a simple concept.

Simple? There are other factors involved, mainly the type of swing. Whippy shafts can produce both slices and hooks, and how the hands go through the ball along with club path (plane) is a big part of it. To say a soft shaft produces only hooks isn't entirely true, imo.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I tend to hit a slice or a fade with regular shafts. With me, the clubhead ends up too far behind my hands when i go through the hitting zone. Especially with graphite regular shafts. Iron reg shafts usually just produce a baby fade or a little cut. Not too bad.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

with my old graphite shaft irons if i try to swing too hard i hook it.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

From my experience, a shaft too weak in flex, too whippy, tend to exaggerate a hook or slice. The club head lags too far behind the shaft and the club face is left open. Then you try harder to square the club head at impact and the ball goes shooting to the left. A shaft too stiff in flex causes slices, and loss of distance, once again since the player cannot bring the club head around at impact.

In The Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°, Fujikura RE*AX 65g Stiff
Hybrid: CLK 17°, Exsar HS2 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60, Project X 6.0, 3i / MP-32, Project X 6.0, 4i-PWWedges: MP-T Black Ni, 51.06 / 56.13 / 60.08Putter: Studio Style Newport 2, 34" / 340gBall: e5+

yeah I beleive that if your swing speed is to fast for the shaft it will create a draw, I was playing with a bloke last week who forgot his clubs (he normaly uses XStiff) so he borrowed the stock clubs from the pro shop that were reg felx, he was hitting huge draws.

I believe most of the posters miss an important issue. Flex affects timing and height of shots more than hook / fade especially on irons. This is more of an issue on woods. A regular shaft with a stiff tip versus a stiff with a soft tip, the stiff would be more likely to hook in woods. In irons the issue is more about weight and loading the shaft. Regular shafts are lighter and combined with the softer flex faster tempo swinngers will lose club head feel (because they can't feel the shaft load/ unload properly, end result is poor timing, this is not inherent in the shaft but the golfers ability to respond. I can easilly hook a stiff shafted club because swing path and how quickly I turn over my forearms and hands is the real cause.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 5828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!