IGNORED

Should I play Whites or Blues?

ChinBo
Note: This thread is 5829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing a significant amount the last 11 months after a 8 year layoff. I have been keeping track of my handicapp for the last couple of months also. Counting all my strokes I think I am a legit 19 'capper.

Should I be playing the whites or the blues? I'm not a long hitter. What do other high teen handicappers play?

In my stand bag -

Burner 420, 10.5* Regular Shaft
V Steel 3 Wood, 15* Regular Shaft
V Steel 5 Wood, 18* Regular Shaft MP Fli-HI 2 Iron, 18* Regular Shaft, Steel (If not playing 5 Wood) 2007 FPs, 3-GW MP-T Series, 56* Raw Haze MP-T Series, 60* Raw Haze (Dont really play with this yet, trying to...

I wouldn't worry about what tees are blue or white or whatever, just look on the scorecard and find which tees are set at the distance you want to play. For a 15+ handicap I would say anything around 6,200 yards give or take a couple hundred would be appropriate. On your average golf course this will usually be the middle (white) tees. Although I've played shorter courses where the blue tees (back) are only about 6200, and middle tees (white) less than 6000. In a case like this I would say play from the blue tees.

Fore!

Depends....

I'll generally play the tees that the group I'm in chooses to play in order to speed things up getting off the tee. It may mean that I'm hitting a longer iron on an approach which isn't the end of the world.

When I'm playing by myself, I'll vary it from round to round.

One of the 'country' courses that I go to vs. going to the driving range (same expense) is fairly short. I'll play it from the tips and it actually opens up way more options for me.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Many scorecards list a handicap recommendation. I play from wherever my handicap is suggested, or the forward-most tees with a men's rating if none is given.

Sometimes, I look at distance total (I'm a short hitter), but doing this sometimes leads me to try the blue tees when they're a 70.9/126.

If it's for a specific course, post the distance / course rating / slope rating for the tees here and we'll take a look.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends where your game has problems. If your problem is the tee ball or distance, then move up to cut yourself a break. If your problem isn't distance, then feel free to move back.

As to me, I don't care where I play. I prefer courses that are 6500-7000 long, although I'll play anywhere. Just as long as I'm out there playing, is all, really.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

thanks for the responses. I play all the time. I noticed that playing from the blues usually helps my handicapp more. I seem to shoot the same scores from either holes.

In my stand bag -

Burner 420, 10.5* Regular Shaft
V Steel 3 Wood, 15* Regular Shaft
V Steel 5 Wood, 18* Regular Shaft MP Fli-HI 2 Iron, 18* Regular Shaft, Steel (If not playing 5 Wood) 2007 FPs, 3-GW MP-T Series, 56* Raw Haze MP-T Series, 60* Raw Haze (Dont really play with this yet, trying to...

thanks for the responses. I play all the time. I noticed that playing from the blues usually helps my handicapp more. I seem to shoot the same scores from either holes.

Same score, I'd play from the blues. But it's an interesting philosophical question: if you knew you'd shoot the same score each time, do you play from the whites or the blues? If you play from the blues, do you then have a vanity handicap? If you play from the whites, are you then sand-bagging?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I seem to shoot the same scores from either holes.

I too remember this phenomenon. However, it is not supposed to be the case.

My recent experience playing white tees (around 6000 in Vegas) found me shooting 78 with maybe just 2 driver tee shots, several 3 woods, and long irons off the tee. That took away OB penalty strokes etc... The short length also allowed for easier to hit short irons into the greens. I think it was 12 GIR. Normally from 6700 to 7000, Driver is in play on most holes and even when its in the fairway, the longer iron is more difficult/prone to error when hitting approaches. I have been at a point - when I couldn't hit a 3 wood any better than a driver or a 9 iron better than a 5 iron - it's these type of problems that find one scoring the same no matter what tees they choose . . .

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

If I have the time, I'll calculate the Bogey Rating for each tee and pick the one that will put me in the mid 90's.

For example, one of my local courses is 71.5/127 for the Blues, and 69.4/120 for the Whites.

(Slope/5.381)+Rating = 95.1 for the Blues, 91.7 for the Whites.

So I usually play the Blue tees, but if my confidence is weak I'll play the White tees.

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

I've gotten to the point where I play the "blue" tees at each course I play. If there is a recommendation for my handicap, then I will follow that recommendation and play those tees accordingly. (At the TPC Deere Run and Cog Hill, there are some recommendations and makes the course much more enjoyable to play).
Je joue au golf, et j'aime ca.
-------------------------------------
Nike SasQuatch Sumo2
HaLo 2i & 3i
3100 I/H 5-GW588 Gunmetal 53/56/60White Hot XG #2Vector BagProV1x

I played the blues a couple days ago (73/135 rating) and i shot a 108, which was my worst score in my last 7 rounds, but because of the high rating it actually counted as the 9th best of my last 20. the sad thing was i was hitting all my long clubs well it was pitching and chipping that did me in, the length was almost no factor in the high score. I didn't think it was all that much fun though, I had to hit hybrid on every par 3; i prefer hitting 7 or 8 iron!

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

I always play the whites, and will continue to do so until I have shot par, and am breaking 80 consistently. I think It will help me in the long run not to be going for distance, but to be working on my game...

I'll move to blues if I'm paired with a group who is playing blue, and often times if I play with just my girlfriend i play from the reds (speeds things up, i just hit 4i off the tee, and i don't take the round as seriously which keeps her happy.)
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

At my course we have white, green, blue and gold(and red for the women of course) . I play the green unless its tournament time and I have to play the blue. White to green my score didnt change but playing the blue tees will add at least 10 strokes to my score (basically I get killed on the par 3's)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I usually play the Blue tees, but if my confidence is weak I'll play the White tees.

I usually play the blues. Occasionally, when coerced, I'll play from the tips but not when the long carry's make me uncomfortable. I've considered moving back up to the whites until I consistantly break 80, just for the boost in confidence.

In my bag:
Launcher 460 9 degree aldila stiff shaft
13 degree fairway wood aldila stiff shaft
Halo 2i hybrid stiff shaft
CG4 irons 4 thru PW regular graphite shaftsCG10 wedges 52,56, and 60 degreeOdyssey Putter #4

At my course we have white, green, blue and gold(and red for the women of course) . I play the green unless its tournament time and I have to play the blue. White to green my score didnt change but playing the blue tees will add at least 10 strokes to my score (basically I get killed on the par 3's)

This keeps me from moving back, too. When I hit irons into par-3s (Usually no longer than 155 yards or so), I can make pars and occasionally bogeys. Anything beyond that, and most everything is in range.

Maybe the preferred tees should be based on distance instead of handicap?

-- Michael | My swing! 

I agree with poster that stated it depends what your strong points are. I play whites or Blues depending on length of course. If I go all the way back my score doesn't suffer that much but I can't reach all the par 4s in two and almost never have a birdie chance, I don't get many but I at least like to have a chance.
As a short and straight hitter my scores often don't go up if I step back a tee because some of the trouble is now out of reach and there is no temptation to try for a par 5 in two or other hero stuff, since I putt and chip well a chip vs a long putt isn't really that big of deal.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I'm at the point in my golf game where I believe I can play blues just as well as whites now. I feel more comfortable having a 120-140 yard second shot to the green than something under 100 yards where I know I will go over. Of course there are some courses around with really large par 5's that I don't feel good adding 30 or so yards to.

Tour Burner 10.5 Stiff
Burner 3/4 Hybrids
Burner 5-AW S-Flex
C-Grooved Marilyn
Ozone Stand Bag

At a course I just played a 'Combi' option was on the scorecard, which combines holes from the blues and from the whites . . . only this would invalidate the round for HC posting.

If you're feeling long and strong then use the blues, if you don't have the juice that day try the whites. Better to play one tee box closer than what you think. Almost all the better players I've played with use the blues, one used the tips but he was college scholarship player and hit his 3W 285. Any yardage over 6700 is going to feel long and you won't be hitting many 120-140 second shots, more like 170-200.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Note: This thread is 5829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!