IGNORED

Where should the calluses on your hands be?

DavidFehertysBike
Note: This thread is 1153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From swinging and gripping the club correctly? I have a callus on the bases of the bottom three fingers (middle to pinky) on both hands

I also have a calluses up in the middle of my left middle finger, one towards the bottom of of my right middle finger, and one on the side of my left thumb right were the crease is. Is this similar to everyone else? And also if you allow them to become to harded and protruded, do they effect the ability to grip the club properly? The ones on my left hand are pretty knarly..
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Not at all it doesnt effect your swing, I have the biggest calluses in the world on the bases of all 10 fingers.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Im not really worried about the swing with them..but rather if the club might be rolling off of my calluses, slighty changing the clubhead position, without me not even knowing it.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

According to Harvey Penick's Little Red Book we should not have callouses on our hands from golf. Means we are gripping the club too hard. However, I have a small on at the base of one of my fingers, from golf.
Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5 Red Prolaunch Stiff
3 Wood/5Wood: Taylormade Tour Burner TP Stiff
Hybrid: Taylormade CGB 3i Stiff
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 Project X 5.5
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Oil Can 52/56Putter: Odessey 2 BallBall: Srixon Z-URS

Im not really worried about the swing with them..but rather if the club might be rolling off of my calluses, slighty changing the clubhead position, without me not even knowing it.

You have a good point there though that makes me think. I'm sure these little bumps shouldnt effect anything though.

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Wow, this is a really good question!

From golf, I have a callous only on each thumb. On my left thumb, in the center, just above the joint.

On my right thumb, pretty much dead center. This one bothers me, because I know my right hand shouldn't be so involved in my swing that I get a callous anywhere.

No callouses on my fingers or palms. Typical soft office worker!

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

my most noticeable callous that has developed from golf specifically is on the outside of my left index finger between the first two knuckles:

seems unusual based on the responses so far. hmmm. wonder what that means.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

According to Harvey Penick's Little Red Book we should not have callouses on our hands from golf. Means we are gripping the club too hard. However, I have a small on at the base of one of my fingers, from golf.

According to Ben Hogan, callouses are normal. In his book, "Five Lessons," he has a diagram showing exactly where callouses should be located. On the left hand, they should be located as follows:

One each, on the hand, below the middle, ring and pinky finger. One on the bottom of the middle finger. One on the inside middle of the ring finger. Two on the pinky. One on the top inside and the other directly in the middle. Finally, one on the right side of the palm.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

my most noticeable callous that has developed from golf specifically is on the outside of my left index finger between the first two knuckles.

I'm right handed and have this too.

When I first started, my right hand was way too active and I had a big honking callous on right top side of my right thumb. That's completely gone now. Most of my calluses are on the lead left hand, mostly where it comes in contact with the butt end of the club. I don't wear a glove either - if I did, I'd probably barely have any callouses at all. But then, I haven't been hitting the range lately. I note where the pros tape up their fingers - usually it's on the left hand I think, around the 3rd and 4th fingers.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 11 months later...

I think you meant (based on the pic) the outside of your

right index finger...I've got exactly the same problem and noticed at the range last night that it did seem to be affecting the clubhead. What does the location signify as it relates my grip? Too much right hand involvement? Too weak/strong?
my most noticeable callous that has developed from golf specifically is on the outside of my left index finger between the first two knuckles:

In the Vector:

Driver - Hibore XL 9.5
Woods - exotics cb2 15* 906f4 18.5*
Hybrid - clk 20Irons - MP-33 (4-P)Wedges - oil can vokey's 52.08, SM56.10, SM60.08Putters - Studio Laguna 2.5Ball - Touri

Wat...are you supposed to get calluses?

I get calluses on the spots on the picture below. Are these supposed to be there?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Penick's reasoning that you shouldn't calluses is that you should place your hands in the proper grip rather than twist them into one which causes the calluses. Personally, I have them in pretty much the spots that Hogan shows in his book though some of them are hardly there. I highly doubt anything as insignificant as calluses could affect your swing in any way.

I just got the May "Golf" magazine that had a section called "Callus Analysis." It was really helpful in showing where the calluses should be. The base of the middle to the pinky finger said correct grip. This helped me fix my grip a little and I went out today and on the first hole I hit a drive 325 yards according to my sky caddie (It was down wind, but still a bomb.) I didn't drive like that all day but I played better and shot an 83 with 38 putts.

Moral of the story is pay attention to your calluses or where your hands get sore and fix your grip.

In My Bag:
Driver: 907D2 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 13*
5 Wood: 906F2 18*
Irons: : MP-32: 3-PWWedges: : Vokey 54.10 and 60.4Putter: Circa 62 Charcoal Mist Model #6

I have 1 on the base of my left pinky. I also have a huge cut on the side of my right middle finger. I also have a cut on my right thumb. If you are wondering if this is from something else it's not. I get the cuts every year in the same spot when golf season starts.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

ok, immts007 kinda as the right idea. I saw a diagram in Golf magazine where usual calous placements should be. On the right hand, it should be at the distal joint on the thumb and right where his picture points on the index finger. That should be about it for the right hand. The left hand should have calous on the base of each finger. I use an interlocking grip so I don't have a calous under my index on my left hand.

In the middle joint of each middle finger.....right hand is slightly below the joint......left hand is slightly above it.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

No calluses at all.... never have had any. But I don't spend hours banging balls either, so that may have something to do with it. I've never had a blister or a callus on my hands from golf.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I've got soft hands and hit thousands of balls at the range, so it makes perfect sense that I get them.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 1153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!