IGNORED

(ESC) Equitable Stroke Control

Dent
Note: This thread is 5396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=9104

Im really confused on this. The max I can take is a double bogey for posting handicap. I've never really done this before. Isn't this cheating? I took 2 triples last round but If i adjusted them then my score would be lower. How does this work? Should I use this to (quoted from the website):
"make handicaps more representative of a player's potential ability"

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

This is one of the more debated areas of handicaps. Basically, you would still put the triple or anything higher on your card. If you were playing a match or betting or turning in your card for a tournament you play the hole out and count every stroke. However, when you go to post your score for handicapping purposes, you adjust your scores on any holes that you exceed your max. This keeps sand baggers from deliberately posting "blow up" holes for the purpose of raising their handicaps. It is also a major reason that it is tougher to an extent for a higher handicap to raise their handicap than it is to lower it.

The one thing that pisses me off about ESC is the guy that picks his ball up without putting out and says give me a 7. Thats all I can take and then tells everyone he shot a 40, even with a 7. Well he would have shot 44 had he made it to the green and putted out.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

This is one of the more debated areas of handicaps. Basically, you would still put the triple or anything higher on your card. If you were playing a match or betting or turning in your card for a tournament you play the hole out and count every stroke. However, when you go to post your score for handicapping purposes, you adjust your scores on any holes that you exceed your max. This keeps sand baggers from deliberately posting "blow up" holes for the purpose of raising their handicaps. It is also a major reason that it is tougher to an extent for a higher handicap to raise their handicap than it is to lower it.

Thanks for giving me info.

But should I do this for Handicap purposes? I don't want to be known as a cheater and someone who uses the ESC to look better. Would it be better if people asked me what i got I tell them the score I originally got, but use the ESC score for my handicap?
In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Also i dont want people to think my handicap went down because i used this ESC thing.
In My Bag

Thanks for giving me info.

You would only be cheating if you posted a score for handicap purposes that did not use ESC.

If you make an 8 on a hole and you are playing with your buddies or in a tournament then tell them you had the 8. You did have an 8 and it should count towards your total score. You only adjust the score after the fact when you post it. If you shot a 42 with the 8 and you can only post double or lower, your score was still 42 you just may end up posting a 40 with a 6 in place of the 8.
Also i dont want people to think my handicap went down because i used this ESC thing.

Anyone who has a legitimate handicap has to use the same methods for posting. They will know why you did it.

Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I have never used ESC before and I will do it now. So during the round should I post my actual score and then take off 2 later?

Also am i allowed to go back to previous scores and edit them?
In My Bag

Using ESC is not cheating, its part of the rules. You post and dont use ESC, then your breaking the rules. You will have to talk to which course your a member at to edit your scores. The person who runs GHIN at that course will be able to edit your scores but i dont believe you'll be able to see the changes until your next revision.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I actually dont use an official handicap tracker. I just use www.greenskeeper.org for an un-official handicap. Which gives me a 7.9 I can manually edit the scores myself. So in reality, I dont have an "official" handicap.
In My Bag

• Administrator
But should I do this for Handicap purposes? I don't want to be known as a cheater and someone who uses the ESC to look better.

That's already been answered, yeah...

I'll point out that Scorecard automatically reduces your scores. You can put whatever in for a hole and it'll give you the proper ESC score when calculating your handicap.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's already been answered, yeah...

I was actually tempted to get Scorecard, but didn't really look into it fully and saw I was given the same information as I do now. I also emptied my paypal account on a new fairway wood.

But I'd really like it and If I had the money I'd get it in a second.
In My Bag

I find it odd that the ESC guidelines for players between 10-19 is a max score of 7. It just seems inconsistent that you can make a quadruple bogey on a par 3, but only a double on a par 5.

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

I find it odd that the ESC guidelines for players between 10-19 is a max score of 7. It just seems inconsistent that you can make a quadruple bogey on a par 3, but only a double on a par 5.

I agree with you. I also know as someone who falls in that range, I have made my share of 8's and 9's on some tough Par 5's. I made a 10 on one last year that was almost 600 yards and up hill the entire way. By the time I got to the green I would have killed for the 7 I had to post.

I was actually playing yesterday and did horrible, but the (ESC) was pretty accurate, Max I can take is a double and even though I did so bad the highest I got was a double. Actually, Out of 9 holes I think I got 6 of them.
In My Bag

I agree with you. I also know as someone who falls in that range, I have made my share of 8's and 9's on some tough Par 5's. I made a 10 on one last year that was almost 600 yards and up hill the entire way. By the time I got to the green I would have killed for the 7 I had to post.

I made an 8 on the par 5 sixth hole on my home course today (unplayable lie off the tee, then toed the next one into the lateral hazard, so I was hitting 5 from still 200 yards out

). Had to adjust it when I entered the score on the GHIN site from 86 to 85. I just do what the system says I'm supposed to. The reason for the adjustment is because anything over your limit is considered an "exceptional" score for your handicap range. And it is true... I rarely have to adjust a score, even on my worst rounds. 8 or above on a hole is very rare for me, so it does qualify as exceptional. To Dent: If you area 7.9, then you need to update your profile. It still says your handicap index is 17. At 17 you would be able to return a 7 on any hole, not be limited to a double bogey.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ah, I just put 17 because thats How I feel im playing right now. It still sticks at a 7.8 but I just put 17.

Also: I went back to my scores and rarely had to adjust any either. I always thought this thing was a huge way to cheat but It really isn't I figured people would have to take 5-10 strokes off their score beause of ESC.
In My Bag

No way 5-10 per round, maybe 1 or 2 max, if any, per round.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

No way 5-10 per round, maybe 1 or 2 max, if any, per round.

I think a 77 to a 75 for me is a huge difference.

In My Bag

I also agree. My biggest numbers usually come when I'm cruising along with pars, and then inexplicably I hit two balls out of bounds on a par 5 for a big fat 10, or something.

Perhaps a good revision would be triple bogey for 10-19, quad for 20-29, and so on?
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Note: This thread is 5396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!