IGNORED

Some RUDE people (my rant after this week's experiences)

DJYoshi
Note: This thread is 5823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

During the course of my short life (26), I've encountered all types of people. Most are nice; a lot are fake nice b/c they want me to give them something (concert tickets, event passes, or even record reps that are fake so I can play their records). This past week of golf, I've experienced it all. From the extremely nice, to the a**hole spoiled rich folk.

Scenario 1: The day I shot my 1st 76 (I went back 2 days later after my original post: "The best round of my life" and shot a 77), I get paired up with a father-son combo.
I apologize b/c I'm not great. Sure I can shoot in the 80's and now capable of putting scores in the mid-high 70's on some courses, but I'm not consistent enough to consider myself good. I apologized and said, I'm sorry if I might take a little longer than you guys on shots b/c it's only my 2nd year.
His response:
"Son, if you take that long, then we're just gonna leave you. It's 5:00 and we're trying to finish 18 before the end of the day. Me and my son are really good and know how to play. So if you don't know how to play, then I suggest you wait for the next group and let us tee off."

Scenario 2: 2 days later, i'm on the tee and 3 kids probably in their late teens/early 20's see my stretching and warming up and I hear them say: "great, we have a wanna-be golfer with us."
As i'm stretching, I catch them looking at my clubs and their statement as i'm getting ready to tee off
"why does he have expensive clubs."... "I bet he can't even hit his drive 200" (I crushed that 1st drive on the par 5 about 273 into the wind).

Scenario 3: From a short par 4 that's only 335, I play a wood so I can be left with a wedge shot that I know will have no trouble. Tell me why these asses hit into us, and didn't yell fore. If it wasn't for my superhuman hearing abilities I wouldn't have turned around to move out of the way.

Scenario 4: teeing off on the next hole, the people that hit into me, just accuse me of stealing their ball off of the green. I was like ummm your ball never even came close to the green...check the woods. so he's like you threw it in there...i saw you... I've been sitting on the tee box waiting for the past 10 minutes to even tee off.

Scenario 5: the actual starter from an un-named country club in northern NJ says: do you belong here? This club's for guests and it's private. We're exclusive. So what are you doing here?

Scenario 6: I'm inside the clubhouse of that un-named cc wanting to buy a pair of those awesome FJ Classic special edition shoes...you know the 1 with the green alligator skin, and all of them ignore me when it's clear i'm there waiting to be helped...holding the shoe in my hand looking around for someone to help me.

Scenario 7: I go to tee off with my friends at the same cc at the tips...b/c i wanted a challenge. The a** starter then says: son I need to see your handicap card. Only 15 and below can play there. I go onto tell him that I don't have it, and it would be a hassle to go all the way back to the clubhouse to print out. But I assured him I was around a 13
"sure you are (in a sarcastic tone).
Then as I'm teeing off with a 3 iron I hear someone else talking to the starter
"what is this kid doing here? that's great, we're being over-run with his kind of people."
Then "what's he doing with an iron? I bet he can't even hit. $5 says he tops it." he's gotta carry that 3 iron at least 210 to get over the 1st ridge (extreme downhill start). After my shot
"lucky shot."

Scenario 8: i get matched up with these again..spoiled rich people yesterday.. i came off of a red-eye flight and i'm trying to get a round in b4 i take my mother out to dinner, these asses didn't shake my hand, introduce themselves and just cracked comments about how terrible they thought i was gonna be. so i go out and shoot an ok round of 90 (yes same course i shot a 76 at twice last week), and they shoot in the hundreds...like 110 or higher..
1 kid lost his ball off of the 2nd hole par 3 4 times.....his 5th tee ball finally lands on the green and he putts and says: what a great birdie (WTF?)
I par the hole and shouldn't I have honors on the next hole? No the 5 ball birdie kid thinks he has it.

Scenario 9 and the last one: I HATE...just HATE when it says: let people faster than you play thru or wave people onto the green on a par 3 after you've reached, and nobody listens..instead you get stuck in a 5 hour round

Those are my thoughts for now about the whole subject matter of rude asses that I encountered in 1 week.
As I reflect I wonder:
1. why do rich people automatically assume that I can't play?
2. Is it the color of my skin? My age?
3. why is it when you do something positive and have a good shot, they assume it's luck?
4. why must they assume that they have more than me?
1 kid was bragging about how he makes $60k a year. That's a great salary for someone in their mid 20's... but why must they try to rub in your face things like that? I never once told them what I did, or how much I make...even though in an avg year I double that and a great year i'll triple it.
5. why does this game yield *******s that are prideful and won't admit when they're wrong or have misconceptions about others?

To clarify, I may have a japanese stage name, but I'm not chinese. I'm Filipino. learn the difference.
And to those on this forum that are guilty of anything I mentioned above...
seriously this is supposed to be a gentleman's game. why don't you act and think like one?
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I know what you mean though especially when i go to the golf course near my house where i always play and the starters treat me and my friends like s*** just because were 15 - 16. Not to mention this is where my schools golf team, which i hope to get on this year, plays and 2 of the kids with me were on the golf team and knew almost everyone there. My one friend also saw some guy in the group ahead hit his putter into the green and told the starter when we came back around that it couldn't have been them because he knows how they act on a golf course. Come on now i mean wtf.

Another time i was playing with my dad and bro, whos a jack*** and isn't allowed to golf anymore, and my brother stood on the par 3, hit a ball into the water and threw his clu in to. After that my dad through him on the ground and lock him in the car for the rest of the day, hole 2 and we were playing 18, talk about a long day in the car. He was also grounded for a month and as i said can't play golf anymore.

My mom also dated a guy that works at a golf course and you would be amazed by the clubs that people leave on the course and don't care about. Some have also been found in water. They hold them for about a year and after that they just take them. I got 2 pitching wedges (nike slingshot and taylormade something), a 3 wood (adams), a putter(knockoff), and a knockoff driver(taylormade 540xd). He also plays a 2 ball putter he found. I was just amazed that people don't care enough to call or go back and get them.

O and btw the rich people treat everyone like shit they thik because there rich that makes them better golfers.

I'm sorry this happened to you but golf is not immune from the aspects of everyday life. You have idiots, everywhere. The good thing is that this is the exception and not the rule.

Part of the problem, pardon my french, is that too many people become "Internet Golfers" who bullshit too much and carry out that attitude to the real golf course. I live in Westchester and I've seen it. I've played with a guy who told me he shot a 79 at a course near me and proceeded to go out in 50 for the front. The opposite is true, too. I've played with three guys that have qualified for PGA events and were the salt of the earth.

A lesson for you. Next time you're out on the course, just play. As much as it is important to be polite, you don't need to explain to someone how you play. You're less than a 15HC and have broken 80. Two percent of the golfing population breaks 80, five percent of all golfers break 100. You obviously have enough game. I can almost guarantee you that jerkoff, in your first example, is not better than you. Guys that tell you how good they are or what there HC is are fishing for compliments. Their game tells you the story and not their mouths.

Better luck next time. It stinks this happened to you but fortunately, it's rare and not a common practice.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

All sound like ass holes to be honest, imo you did well to handle the situations so calmly, well done!.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

We don't take to kindly to you not taking to kindly to these people... (heavy heavy sarcasm)

On a very serious note though, you have got to start betting with these people. You could clean house if your game is as underestimated as you say it is.
In my bag:

Driver: R540xd
3wood: F-50
3-PW: MP-60Wedges: misc. + RAC Chrome 56°Putter: Oz Blue ChipBall: One Platinum

"Son, if you take that long, then we're just gonna leave you. It's 5:00 and we're trying to finish 18 before the end of the day. Me and my son are really good and know how to play. So if you don't know how to play, then I suggest you wait for the next group and let us tee off."

This guy approached the situation in the wrong manner. I assume that he's been paired with EXTREMELY slow players and assumed that by your comment, you must be a slow player as well. How well did his son and him play? Also, if you're as good of a player as you say, apporach the game with confidence. Be proud of yourself and don't appologize for how you play.

"why does he have expensive clubs."... "I bet he can't even hit his drive 200"

Good chance they're just jealous. Alot of times, adolecent's express they're negative emotions through jealousy and hatred. Be proud that they think you're clubs are expensive.

Tell me why these asses hit into us, and didn't yell fore. If it wasn't for my superhuman hearing abilities I wouldn't have turned around to move out of the way.

It's golf, it happens. It sucks and really pisses you off, but I'm sure they either didn't mean to, or hit a spectacular shot that carried farther than they expected. Best way to approach it is to tell them how close it got and that they should be more aware of the situation.

teeing off on the next hole, the people that hit into me, just accuse me of stealing their ball off of the green. I was like ummm your ball never even came close to the green...check the woods. so he's like you threw it in there...i saw you... I've been sitting on the tee box waiting for the past 10 minutes to even tee off.

That's sucks. Did you throw his ball? He claim's he saw you do it, but if you didn't then f*** him. I don't understand why he would say that...

I go to tee off with my friends at the same cc at the tips...b/c i wanted a challenge. The a** starter then says: son I need to see your handicap card. Only 15 and below can play there. I go onto tell him that I don't have it, and it would be a hassle to go all the way back to the clubhouse to print out. But I assured him I was around a 13 "sure you are (in a sarcastic tone).

This guy sounds like a real jerk. I'm sure he deals with a lot of bad players who want to play tips and slow down the entire flow of the course. He's doing his job by asking this, and if he allowed you to play them then he must have some faith in your abilities.

i get matched up with these again..spoiled rich people yesterday.. i came off of a red-eye flight and i'm trying to get a round in b4 i take my mother out to dinner, these asses didn't shake my hand, introduce themselves and just cracked comments about how terrible they thought i was gonna be. so i go out and shoot an ok round of 90 (yes same course i shot a 76 at twice last week), and they shoot in the hundreds...like 110 or higher.. 1 kid lost his ball off of the 2nd hole par 3 4 times.....his 5th tee ball finally lands on the green and he putts and says: what a great birdie (WTF?) I par the hole and shouldn't I have honors on the next hole? No the 5 ball birdie kid thinks he has it.

Just because you're paired with these guys does not mean you're necessarily playing with them or against them. You're playing against par. Whatever he does are his choices. If he wants to lie to himself and pretend he made par then that's his choice. It sucks that he took the box from you, but perhaps his playing partner and him had an agreement that the first 3 holes were warm-up holes or something. Completely hypothetical, but I'm just saying.

I'm sorry if you feel people are judging you for the color of your skin. It really sucks that racism exists in our country. It's 2008 and some people still act like it's 1950. It's a terrible situation and I believe that people of your origin are catching a lot more of it than most others. I live in TX and play everyday at our Campus course (Texas A&M; University). There are a lot of people of Asian descent and they really recieve the bulk of the "shit-talking". It's really sad to see. I think that you should probably change the course you're playing or at least address the situation. If you continue to play there and take shit off of the people, that's your decision, but keep in mind that it will be hurting you much more than them. As for everyones comments that you're hearing; that could be a classic case of paranoid schizophrenia. That's a whole lot of negative comments in a week. It almost seems like every single person you were paired with didn't like you. I'm just joking about the schizo, but seriously that's unfortuante. How do you present yourself at the course? I hate to hear about negativity on the course and I hope that your situation get's resolved. Just remember that the best way to eliminate situations like these is to be pro-active! Make sure you introduce yourself to these people. Become their friend instead of the token "newbie" Filipino guy. And if it persists, then take them out and show them that 76 and 77 and earn thier respect.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

PS, you got 4 responses in the time it took me to write my one! Kinda funny
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

All sound like ass holes to be honest, imo you did well to handle the situations so calmly, well done!.

Yes. Kudos to you for handling it so well. I might have flipped a grip by Scenario 3 or 4!

Unfortunately it takes all kinds and there are doucherockets everywhere. Just consider the source when you run into these situations....and continue to smoke shots in front of these people! Best thing you can do....

I'm sorry this happened to you but golf is not immune from the aspects of everyday life. You have idiots, everywhere. The good thing is that this is the exception and not the rule.

dude, 1 of the courses was in your area....I guess since it's so accessible, there's just a # of people that act a certain way that just makes you sick!

Y can't everyone be like Aquaman? I've heard he's 1 of the best people to play a round with.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

dude, 1 of the courses was in your area....I guess since it's so accessible, there's just a # of people that act a certain way that just makes you sick!

I'm not surprised. The stories I hear at my range are incredulous. I had one guy tell me he made an ace on a Par 4 340 Yard Dogleg Left. I just smiled and congratulated him. Of course, under my breath, I'm like "Dude, do you even believe your own bs?"

I've seen the opposite, too. In my experience, the better the player the more polite he is. The worse the player the bigger the jerk.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

You need to stop playing in New Jersey. Go out to the Midwest, the people are all together different (not only at golf courses).

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

That has to be the worst thing I've ever read about. I have'nt had comments towards me, I get treated with respect. I'm 10 years younger, but I know what you mean about the staff at clubs.

I would have loved to see what you said back to those comments.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

There is no reason for people to prejudge another human being based solely on outward appearance. That being said, this seems to happen to you a bunch. You are either the most unlucky human being in America, or there must be a reason this is happening to you. Do you dress appropriately for the golf course?

I am not one to tell people what to do but I am a proponent for a basic dress code at golf courses. You know just the basics, a collared shirt and docker type shorts or pants.

If you are dressing appropriately and these people are just basing these judgements alone on your age and ethnicity then screw them. Pay no attention to them, then take them on the course and kick their butts. If you are showing up to the golf course looking like a ragamuffin then screw them anyway , but maybe you should try and dress more befitting for the course.

now, this is not excusing these peoples' behavior by any means, don't get me wrong. There is still absolutely no reason to make someone feel inadequate like that. I am just trying to maybe diagnose this problem and help you out since, understandably so, these people seem to be putting a damper on what should be a fun day. Noone should ever feel unhappy or unwanted on a golf course.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some of these stories make me feel like i live in *make-believe land*. At my club there are younger players that are allowed to play with the elites at the club (they will all try to take anyones money - young or old). Occasionally I have maniacs behind me that can play 18 in 2.5 hours - I let them play through when we are with a slower twosome - not only do I get a thank you, but generally they have cart girl deliver me a free beer. Maybe they dont f with me because there I am known as the arrogant NYer and will make sure that I take their *special* tee time if I get pissed off. But everyone is pretty much treated the same. I wouldnt consider any of them close friends, but everyone respects everyone else (the only exception would be someone that brings a first time golfer out between 7:30 and 8:30am)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

way to stay cool i get underestimated alot!! because of my age

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

Scenario 5: the actual starter from an un-named country club in northern NJ says: do you belong here? This club's for guests and it's private. We're exclusive. So what are you doing here?

Why not name the club? I'm assuming you're telling the truth, so why protect them? They deserve to be named and shamed.

Note: This thread is 5823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!