IGNORED

Some RUDE people (my rant after this week's experiences)

DJYoshi
Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Scenario 7: I go to tee off with my friends at the same cc at the tips...b/c i wanted a challenge. The a** starter then says: son I need to see your handicap card. Only 15 and below can play there. I go onto tell him that I don't have it, and it would be a hassle to go all the way back to the clubhouse to print out. But I assured him I was around a 13

After you stroked that tee shot you should have looked that starter in the eye and told him "stick that lucky shot up your a$$!" and then looked around and said "How many of you jackazzes want to give me your money?!" I bet you would have seen a lot of faces looking down. It sounds like you've got the game to hang. I, like you get sick and tired of rude jerks. It seems like its on the rise in all facets of our society. I know that its better to take the high road, but sometimes you have to take a stand!!

"You're not good enough to get mad. Enjoy the round." Arnold Palmer to Jim Leyland.

Driver: Taylormade r5 80 10.5
Irons: Taylormade RAC OS 3-PW True temper reg flex
Hybrid: Nike Rescue 18* graphite stiff flexWedge: Taylormade RAC 56* satinWedge: Cleveland Tour Action 60*Putter: Odyssey White...

I posted in another thread that I think that manners, politeness, integrity, just plain couthe (sp) is sorely missing. It's a gentleman's game and there seems to be some guys who are far from being gentleman stinking it up for the rest of us. Play your game, enjoy, act the right way and forget the jerks who inhabit our sanctuary.

I get it all the time... mainly because I live in massachusetts

1) here there are three types of courses... cheap, sh** munis, overpriced public, and elite private clubs

mind it, 50 bucks down florida = 125 in MA

I have some game, but will never see myself getting better because I have cant just go out and play 3-5 holes after work and lack practice facilities and grass ranges

I mean, there are some people who just walk into money but I can respect people who work hard for their money but I just hate playing with them...

I feel you bro, it's not a color thing its a class issue... we'll never belong

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Is this a back east thing? I've done a lot of golfing this year in Utah. City owned cheap courses and semi private expensive courses and never been treated like that. I've been asked by a starter what handicap I was but he took my word for it. (I actually like that they try and enforce that as I am so sick of being behind guys playing from the tips that can't drive it past the womens tees) But I've got to tell you, I work in the fire service, and I'm starting to think a lot of the attitude you are getting is regional. We've got a couple of eastern transplants on the job here (one from New York, one from New Jersey and one from Boston) and they are the most demeaning, rude and abrasive people I've met-- at times --. Other times, they are incredibly nice and generous. I've asked two of them about it and they both told me it's how they were raised and part of the culture of the East Coast. I've never lived there, but they say that they are just a very negative group by nature and act that way until they get to know and respect someone. They weren't trying to justify it, just explain it.

I'd say just say as little as possible and let your game shout louder than words ever will. People like that generally stop giving people crap when they are obiously better than them in the game being played.

Good luck and keep shooting low, congrats on breaking 80. I shot my all time low of +3 two days ago, had a real chance of breaking par but finished triple bogey, double bogey to end the round. I just couldn't take the pressure! Oh well that's why we love the game

All fires eventually go out!

HiBore 10.5 Standard Shaft Stiff

MP-60 4-PW Dynamic Gold 300 MP-T 51,56,60 V-Foil HX Tour 56 (guess I'll be changing soon)

It's a shame all that happened to you, but unfortunately there's always going to be *******s out on the golf course. We've all met them sooner or later.

I get a lot of crap from older guys for clearly being under 30 (or under 60 for that matter!) and sometimes they'll deliberately take their time when I get behind them and not let me enough, or worse, they'll hit into me (with their fourth shots...)

I try not to get into pissing contests, but if provoked I'd go to war. Just don't back down, and they'll get the idea. (Unless they're drunk...)
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Move to Florida, some excellent courses can be played for $35 after 3 (It stays light till 8:30, in the summer)...ie..World Woods, Pine Barrens Course

Never heard of that kind of bs. The private clubs are for the "private" people, never played them and never will. You can play some great public and "semi private" courses in Florida and never see that kind of bs.

I guess you can call yourself lucky, in this economy if I lived in your area it would be the driving range for me.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Is this a back east thing? ....I've asked two of them about it and they both told me it's how they were raised and part of the culture of the East Coast. I've never lived there, but they say that they are just a very negative group by nature and act that way until they get to know and respect someone. They weren't trying to justify it, just explain it.

Growing up on the East Coast(NY, FL, & VA), I wouldn't say that is true at all, maybe your guys grew up that way but they don't speak for me. I respect everyone until they give me a reason not to, and sometimes it may not take long, but I always show respect first. I hung around a surfing culture in school and get a few looks on the more high end courses due to the fact I have the Charlie Hoffman look. I just go out and play and not worry about what others may preconceive about me.

I am not taking offense to your comment, just simply answering your question, "Is this a back east thing?".
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

know what you mean brother, I stick to a cheap 25 dollar donald ross course that is in piss poor shape but its cheap and I know the starters so they turn my 18 hole receipt into 36 holes

i want to move to orlando, my uncle lives there

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Growing up on the East Coast(NY, FL, & VA), I wouldn't say that is true at all, maybe your guys grew up that way but they don't speak for me. I respect everyone until they give me a reason not to, and sometimes it may not take long, but I always show respect first. I hung around a surfing culture in school and get a few looks on the more high end courses due to the fact I have the Charlie Hoffman look. I just go out and play and not worry about what others may preconceive about me.

its a blue blood east thing, esp in new england

Daniel Duarte

You must play at the rudest club out there. I've belonged to several private clubs and have never seen anything like you described. What club is this??? Hell CC?

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

My friend, you have the patience of a saint if you can handle these situations. I get asked my ethnicity sometimes, but it's usually on the back.

Those are my thoughts for now about the whole subject matter of rude asses that I encountered in 1 week.

Back when I was in high school, I used to tutor rich kids, typically in math. So many of them didn't pay attention and didn't do any work after I taught it to them. Their parents then wondered why their grades weren't going up after how much they were spending on tutoring.

I think they fit into the same category as the people who buy the newest driver every six months but won't take a lesson. They figure if you don't have the same advantages that they do, then you can't get where they are. It's a stupid attitude to have.
2. Is it the color of my skin? My age?

Their stupid attitude again. They figure they had to have their advantage to get where they are, so when you get somewhere without it... it's luck.

4. why must they assume that they have more than me?

It's just as well that you didn't tell him. A buddy of mine got upset at me after finding out my annual income versus his ; these people were jerks enough already.

5. why does this game yield *******s that are prideful and won't admit when they're wrong or have misconceptions about others?

I think part of this is that golf was an elitist sport in the past, so it still attracts elitists.

To clarify, I may have a japanese stage name, but I'm not chinese. I'm Filipino. learn the difference.

Well, by your reactions you've mentioned, I'd say you're being the gentleman. And that puts you well above these guys.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You need to stop playing in New Jersey. Go out to the Midwest, the people are all together different (not only at golf courses).

I agree with this NJ just might be the problem.

In The Bag:
Driver: Big Bertha 460
3 & 5 Wood: F50.
Irons: 855S Silver Scot 3-SW.
Wedge: S2H2 60*Putter Anser 2i

Ignorance, jealousy and painful stupidity. Those three things typify any and all situations like yours. Do what I did growing up, ignore them and prove them epicly wrong and keep doing those two things, but do it for yourself.

Get used to being the young one around, it has taken me a lifetime (not quite 30) to realize I will not be young forever, but I am absolutely not going to apologize for what I have rightfully earned myself to this point in my life. It is always better to earn what you have than to have it handed to you. You clearly have earned what you so proudly carry in your golf bag and represent in your life.

Tee it up and just play. Works in golf and should work in life.

Irons: MP-29c (2-PW)
Wedge: Vokey 56/8 bent to 54
Wedge: Tour 60degree
Putter: Redwood Anser (34in)
3-Wood: PT @ 13.5degreesDriver: Burner TP 9.5 (65g Shaft)

Scenario 5: the actual starter from an un-named country club in northern NJ says: do you belong here? This club's for guests and it's private. We're exclusive. So what are you doing here?

What's not to understand. You were invading 'their' private club. The country club is one of the last places they have to congregate without any minorities, and there you are, spoiling the party.

It's not your age, it's not your clothes, it's not your attitude. Even though you have 'game', that's not going to magically make them like you, or respect you.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

I'm sorry this happened to you but golf is not immune from the aspects of everyday life. You have idiots, everywhere. The good thing is that this is the exception and not the rule.

Is that really true that only 5% ever break 100? I can see 2% breaking 80...that just seems like a really low number of golfers to be breaking 100.

And you are a bigger man than I, as I would have said something to those people that were talking about me, Country Club or not. (Assuming you didn'y) I'm in the midwest and this hasn't happened to me on a golf course...ever.

In my Grom Stand Bag:

Driver: Launcher 400
Hybrid: Idea a30s Boxer 2i
Irons: MP-60's 4-PWWedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56.12Wedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 60.4Putter: I-Series Anser 4Ball: Prov1

Is that really true that only 5% ever break 100?

I believe that number, regardless of what the USGA says about the average handicap being a 14 or whatever they say it is. It may be among handicap card-holders, but that is a tiny fraction of the people who play at local muni's and public courses. The average score is probably 110 if they all played honestly, 100% by the rules.

I play with all sorts of people. And they might card in 90-something, 80-something, but it's with an unbelievable amount of gimmies, mulligans and preferred lies.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

personally speaking - I wouldnt put up with that. I am 33 year old full time musician. my regular foursome is all musicians - we always dress with collars and dockers etc. some of us have tattoos etc but we always dress like we should. We do happen to all have nice gear, but we all play very well and follow EVERY rule. Everyone is a 15 handicap or below and one guy is a 3 handicap. We encountered a similar situation last week at a public course (we usually play at beth page and never have these issues). We had some older guys whistling at us to hurry up when we were putting and shouting etc. this went on for about 4 holes. we do not play that slow BUT we Do follow the rules , we do NOT search endlessly for balls NOR do we take mulligans or have gimmes - you must sink everything - so maybe... that slows us up a tad but thats the game.

So, finally these jerks behind us step up their harrassement and hit into us. Knowing just how dangerous a golf ball flying off a driver or any club for that matter can be, we put our bags down and we all walked back to the the tee box. We were pissed. These rich old farts sh*t themselves - they could see we meant business and were not marching up there to have a tea party They begged us for a confrontation and we gave them a diaper change. I work hard to be able afford to play golf a few times a week and therefor have a zero toloerance policy for this kinda of stuff happening on a course.
I would also like to add that nine times out of ten these idiots doing the harrassing take mulligans every hole, give themselves 6 foot putts and dont know half of the rules attached to the game - they are not playing golf - I have worked hard to earn every point on my handicap rating the real way. If these idiots played the real way they would be shooting in the 100's. But I can tell you after we decided to go back to the tee box - they played very curtious to us the rest of the day.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

I appreciate the comments and thoughts.
I shot my 76's at Francis Byrne in NJ. That's my home muni course that's public, but you still get a lot of rich folk that roll in b/c it's within a 4 town radius where the avg household income is 185k.

As for the country club, that's in upstate NY. it's actually: NY Country Club.
Yes, NY Country Club..a place that's rich with history...so I can understand why they don't want a brown-skinned fellow joining them or even playing on their course.

I do dress appropriately. I'm normally in pants and a tucked in polo... lately I've had to wear a sweater over my polo with the collar out. I'm not like some people that wear golf shorts and a collar to get out and then strip into an underarmour t-shirt.

When I'm out, if I'm by myself (70% of the time), I just keep to myself. I try to be polite, presented properly, etc. I enjoy meeting new people and I've met some great folk out on the course. A lot of the people i've met on courses around the country, I've invited to come to the shows that I do. So I don't think I'm being an a**hole in any way.

My father gets it the most. He's been shopping around looking for a new country club to join b/c he's in his years where he's retired and wants to play everyday. He'll schedule meetings or sometimes go when they have open house & get this: Cedar Hill, Cedar Knoll & Baltusrol said: if you have to ask how much it is to join, then you definitely can't afford us.

For the most part, everyone in the NY/NJ area is nice. Sure there are a lot of di**s here. People are most of the time friendly. The other 40% all assume the worst about people.

I just thought...really really thought that entering a game where your game speaks louder than words about the type of player you are, that people would put my brown skin past their prejudice that they normally carry.

I could care less how much someone makes or if they're born into "a prive life." Who cares if your parents are senator so and so, or that your father played in the nba. Call me naive and stupid, but even after traveling the world every year for the past 8 years, I still expect the best from people.
So it still upsets me when I hear someone say:
"oh sh** it's bruce lee on the course"

I can normally brush it off since I've been dealing with racism and prejudice from all sides of the color spectrum, but when it comes at me everyday a few times a day and on the course in the span of 6 days, I had to let it out.. So instead of taking a 5 iron across the last kid's SL-65 AMG (yeah at like 19 he had one) I figured I'd save my club and shaft that I worked hard to afford and hard at my game to be able to justify me spending the money on a player's club.

but seriously, thank you everyone. I DO love Florida Golf. I even enjoy this golf club:
Celebration down there. It's cheap, awesome, in great condition, and has a great layout. Midwest golf, I'm new to. I just played in Chicago & I'll be back out in the Ohio area in a few weeks. West coast golf, you really can't beat that over there either!! I've met some of the nicest people on my west coast trips!
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!