IGNORED

Titleist vs. Mizuno irons

Note: This thread is 5076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

titelist < mizuno < miura

----the truth

Driver: Adams 9015 proto (ozik matrix shaft)
3w: TM V-Steel 15* grafalloy blue (42 inches)
3-pw: Miura Tournament Blades w/ rifle 5.5
wedges: 588 Clevelands 47* 51* 56*
putter: Scotty Cameron oil can (97)

I have tried both of them, and the Mizuno's are just more special. Not only are they more rewarding if you hit them pure, but they also make you look like you know what you are doing. First post, looking forward to this forum!

Sasquatch 460 10.5
X 3 wood
X 4H
X-22's 5-PW
X Forged 52, 58 Black Series #1 Tour i X Series stand bag

Mizuno forged irons are the best major OEM forged irons in my opinion, but it's only my opinion, and I don't play major OEM irons. If I did, I'm guessing MP-57s. In fact, I think sister company Cobra's forged irons are nicer than Titleist's present offerings--again, just opinion, though.

Titleist erred greatly, in my view, by discontinuing their DCI investment cast stainless steel line. So many of the stainless irons are absolutely butt-ugly today, looking almost like brightly colored children's toys.

I think a progressive set starting out with DCI Black OS+ long irons morphing to DCI 962 shorter irons would probably be a successful offering.

And to me, more appealing than Mizzy's MX series.

Check to see if there are any demo days scheduled in Philadelphia.

Good call. Coincidentally, there is a golf show a mile from my work this upcoming weekend, and the Mizuno site says they'll be there. I know I can't afford to be picky, I was just hoping to be able to hit them outdoors to see the ball flight.

Thanks for the tip though.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

Okay, Part 2 of my question is:

For those of you who have hit both, or just know Mizuno irons in general...

does it change your answer if the price I can get on a brand new set of MP-57's is $600.00 vs. getting the 52's for $850.00??

I guess my real question there is, will I notice $250.00 worth of difference somewhere down the road and regret not going for the set that originally caught my eye (the 52's)?
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

Okay, Part 2 of my question is:

Well, Mizuno's current line is the 52s, 57s, 62s, 67s, each meant for a different type of ballstriker. The 57s are cheaper because they are older, but that doesn't make them "worse" in any way. According to Mizuno, the 52s will be more forgiving (don't know how much more) than the 57s, so it really all comes down to your own assessment of your ball-striking.

Well, Mizuno's current line is the 52s, 57s, 62s, 67s, each meant for a different type of ballstriker. The 57s are cheaper because they are older, but that doesn't make them "worse" in any way. According to Mizuno, the 52s will be more forgiving (don't know how much more) than the 57s, so it really all comes down to your own assessment of your ball-striking.

Tough call there.

I learned to play on an old set (late 80's, early 90's) of Hogan Edge irons, which taught me to find at least the vicinity of the sweet spot more often than not. I was able to get down to a 2 handicap after a few years and after switching to Titleist DCI 990's, and then I just sort of stopped playing. Now that I've picked it back up, I'm about an 8-10 handicap with plans to cut it in half this year if I can. Long story short, I don't hit the ball pure every time anymore, but I have no problem getting the ball in the air and in the direction I need it to go. So really what I'm looking for is a set of irons with the feel and playability of a traditional forged club, with a little more forgiveness so that an off-center hit doesn't leave me a club to a club and a half short.

Tough call there.

The 57s are really great clubs, and plenty forgiving. Judging solely by your handicap, and what it was before, you will have no problem with them and they will save you over $200.

ive played mizunos, scratch, hogans, titelist, kzg,

the best feeling irons are miuras...period

obviously this is one persons opinion, but its the truth!

also, the bridgestone irons we pretty sweet my friends

Driver: Adams 9015 proto (ozik matrix shaft)
3w: TM V-Steel 15* grafalloy blue (42 inches)
3-pw: Miura Tournament Blades w/ rifle 5.5
wedges: 588 Clevelands 47* 51* 56*
putter: Scotty Cameron oil can (97)

I'm a Mizuno guy as well, I've owned and played MP-14's for years. I thought those were the nicest forged irons until I tried the MP-33's the other day. They felt better, like the sweet spot was just a tiny little bit bigger, and there was more there if you shot was towards the toe.

I'm playing Titleist right now, while they are cast 962's, a classic, but not in the same league as the forged Mizunos. I wasn't planning on buying new irons, but I will be adding the MP-33's to my bag as soon as I can find a set that I like. They're amazing, the feel, trajectory, and control. I also like the traditional lofts, should keep my yardages about the same, and I don't have to mess with my wedges.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I'm a Mizuno guy as well, I've owned and played MP-14's for years. I thought those were the nicest forged irons until I tried the MP-33's the other day. They felt better, like the sweet spot was just a tiny little bit bigger, and there was more there if you shot was towards the toe.

Yup, I was going to buy the 962's and then as soon as I was getting ready to replace my old Hogan's, the 990's came out and I just had to have them. They treated me well but part of me always regretted not going for a set of Mizuno's. You are the perfect person for me to ask this question: what do you think of the Mizuno Fli-Hi 18*? I have always carried a 2-iron but don't want to fight with it anymore on bad days, when the technology out there makes it so much easier with an alternative. I bought a 904F 19* fairway wood because I was able to get it for $18 and I'd have been dumb not to snatch that up when I bought the matching 3 wood, and it would make a fine replacement for my 2-iron except that it creates about a 40-50 yard gap between itself and my 3-iron. I like the idea of a hybrid because it will replace my 2-iron distance wise (maybe a tad longer?) and theoretically make it a little more forgiving on mishits AND give me the option to take a swing if I'm in the rough, which I wouldn't dare with my 2-iron unless it's light rough and/or it's sitting pretty. The Mizuno is the first Iron/Hybrid that I've looked at that I like the look of, but I haven't hit it yet. I'm also considering a 19* Titleist 585.H. Any thoughts?

Yup, I was going to buy the 962's and then as soon as I was getting ready to replace my old Hogan's, the 990's came out and I just had to have them. They treated me well but part of me always regretted not going for a set of Mizuno's.

Yes, I tried the 990's, I never really liked them, but I couple of my friends used them on various tours they played. I didn't think there was a big enough difference to upgrade to the 990's from the 962's.

You are the perfect person for me to ask this question: what do you think of the Mizuno Fli-Hi 18*? I have always carried a 2-iron but don't want to fight with it anymore on bad days, when the technology out there makes it so much easier with an alternative. I like the idea of a hybrid because it will replace my 2-iron distance wise (maybe a tad longer?) and theoretically make it a little more forgiving on mishits AND give me the option to take a swing if I'm in the rough, which I wouldn't dare with my 2-iron unless it's light rough and/or it's sitting pretty.

I'm pretty happy with the Fli-Hi 18, in fact, I'm thinking about getting the 21˚ as well. Off a tee, I hit it a little further than my Mizuno MP-14 2 Iron, about 7-10 yards or so. The sweet spot is much bigger than the 2 iron and it has a nice trajectory, it doesn't have the ballooning trajectory of my 5 wood. It does give you more confidence in the rough, although you still need to put a good swing on it to get it up in the air.

The Mizuno is the first Iron/Hybrid that I've looked at that I like the look of, but I haven't hit it yet. I'm also considering a 19* Titleist 585.H. Any thoughts?

I'm not much for fairway woods, other than a three wood, and I don't like the look of many of the rescue/hybrids out there. At address, it looks really good, and it's pretty easy to hit.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

I have always used Mizuno irons. I went from MP14 to MP33 to MP30. I loved them but I am thinking about moving to the AP2's because they hit beautifully. Titleist has come a long way.

T.M. O'Connell

What's in My Bag
Driver - 909 D2 9.5 degree
3 Wood - 909 F2 15.5 degreeHybrid - 909 H 19 degreeIrons - AP2 w/ Rifle 6.5Wedges - BN 60.04 & 54.11Putter - Pro Platinum Plus

• 4 months later...
Both set of irons i've tested before... very similar in difficulty and player profiles. The mizuno irons are easier to launch a higher ballflight hence the thin sole and is relatively light. Titleist's first attempt to make split cavity irons arent bad, the sole width is ideal and offset are both similar. I stuck with the titleist since im a fan and the looks were better for me but just as good.

I have been hitting the MP32s for a few years now and I absolutely love them!! I haven't tried any of the newer Titleist irons. I think that last set of Titleists I hit were the DCIs. Anyway, I have been thinking about trying out the Titleist just to see what my thoughts were but I haven't had a chance yet.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!