IGNORED

What irons do you use

Note: This thread is 5821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What type of irons do you use and why?

Whats in my bag
Driver: 983K 8.5*
Fairway Wood: 906F2 15.0
Hybrid:585H 19*
Irons 690 CB and MB. CB 3-5 MB 6-PWWedges: Vokey Tour Chrome 54 58 Putter: Bettinardi C-04 Ball: Pro V1X

I am waiting on my new custom Mizuno MX-25's

I was just fit yesterday. I went with these irons, because of the shot dispersion, feel, consistency and the confidence I get from the look. These with Project X 5.5 shafts were perfect for my swing.

Now the LONG process of waiting for the call from the pro-shop.......
Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5 Red Prolaunch Stiff
3 Wood/5Wood: Taylormade Tour Burner TP Stiff
Hybrid: Taylormade CGB 3i Stiff
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 Project X 5.5
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Oil Can 52/56Putter: Odessey 2 BallBall: Srixon Z-URS

I use Mizuno MP-57 (cut muscle players' irons).

I wanted players' irons, because I already hit my irons well and I want feedback on bad shots. With my super-game improvement clubs, I found that I was being hap-hazard on my long and middle irons, since I knew the club would do the bulk of the work. This lead to bad shots, because I wouldn't even worry about grip or aim.
I narrowed my choices to Mizuno, Ping, and Bridgestone by going to a ton of demo days.
I liked the feeling of the Mizuno irons and wedges better than the others, although I admittedly liked the Bridgestone pick-n-choose system a bit better.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mizuno MP 32s. I switched to these because I wanted a player's iron, the price was incredible and they've actually improved my game. These blades are soft and the Project X shafts are awesome.

My backup set are Wood Bros. blades. They also have a stepless shaft, like the Project X but less expensive.

I also have a 3rd set of Mizunos, 5-SW, that I purchased on ebay for $10, yes, $10. They're old but in great shape. I also have some Hogan blades, 7-Equalizer, that I found at a garage sale.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

MacGregor M565 V-Foil with Graphite YS Technologies Stiff Shaft

I own way too many sets of irons - but have 4 sets of these. They really are as good as any club I have ever played, irrespective of price. They have a 4.98 out of 5.0 rating on golfreview.com and I believe this rating is well deserved.

These are forged cavity backs with very solid components which includes Rifle Shafts if you choose steel. The PW is 45 degrees, and I highly recommend getting the GW in steel - even if you choose graphite.

You can find these is excellent shape on ebay for $150. MacGregor is making excellent irons again.
Whats in my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 460
Fairway/Hybrid: 15 & 19 degree Nickent 3dx Utility
Irons: MacGregor M565
Wedges: Cleveland 900 RTG 54 & 58 degreePutter: Odyssey DFX 2 ball

What is the deal with "Forged" cavity backs, I don't understand what that does?

In my Grom Stand Bag:

Driver: Launcher 400
Hybrid: Idea a30s Boxer 2i
Irons: MP-60's 4-PWWedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56.12Wedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 60.4Putter: I-Series Anser 4Ball: Prov1

There are two basic types of irons (cast and forged). Most better players (pros and low handicappers) prefer forged clubs. In the old days, blades were almost all forged.

The terms "cast" and "forged" simply refer to the manufacturing process used to form the shape of the iron head. Casting always involves turning the metal from which the ironhead is to be made into its molten, liquid state, after which it is poured into a mold to form the ironhead design.

Forging involves literally pounding or compressing the metal, in its solid form, from which the ironhead is made into the designed shape of the ironhead, after which a number of other machining and drilling steps are necessary to complete the production of the ironhead.

Recently, there is a shift towards creating cavity backs in forged irons. This makes them more forgiving by expanding the sweetspot. In general, cast clubs (almost always cavity back) tend to be more forgiving as the sweetspot is bigger.

For better players, the forged cavity backs offer them a little bigger sweetspot and more control. Most people would probably be best off with a cast cavity bag to start off with.
Whats in my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 460
Fairway/Hybrid: 15 & 19 degree Nickent 3dx Utility
Irons: MacGregor M565
Wedges: Cleveland 900 RTG 54 & 58 degreePutter: Odyssey DFX 2 ball

I have Mizuno MP-60's. I love em even though they aren't the most forgiving clubs in the world. Not to say they aren't forgiving for blades, but at times I could use more forgiveness. I would say that if I hit a shot off center the clubs will penalize me way more for distance than direction. But when you hit a shot on the sweet spot of an MP-60, boy does it feel great. All in all, I highly recommended these irons.

Titleist 990b's for a few years now. Mainly because they were free hand me downs from my father when he upgraded. Nothing can describe a clean shot with these but if you catch one thin or off the toe LOOK OUT! Im considering some ap1's now that i'm playing more and i think they'd match my skill level while still allowing for some improvement.
905R 10.5º UST V2
980f 15º Aldila NV
585h 19º Aldila NV
AP2 3-PW DG S-300
Vokey 52º~58ºSM DG Wedge FlexBlack 9iSG4

Equalizer

so thats what an E wedge is! learn something new everyday.

i play the callaway x-forged irons because i like callaway clubs, i got them at a discount, and i think they are sexy. performance wise, they are very solid clubs. i couldn't ask for a better shaft then the black gold's. they are shadowed by the ever-popular project-x, yet their feel and trajectory are perfect for my preferences.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

my swing coach is telling me that i should have gotten my clubs damn fitted...hell did i know when i got them last year but seriously, i'm using a 5'10 man's set when i'm 6'2" and it's making the learning curve that much harder.

GET FITTED!

Gee Mizuno's are popular!! I almost got some of the MX-25's but finally decided on the CG Golds and couldnt be happier, nice and forgiving but not a super game improvment "shovel" they still let you know when you dont quite hit it right. I have to agree with the previous posts though fitting is the most important thing, im 6f3 and these are my firs ever custom fitted clubs... i wish i had the $$$ to do it earlier!

Gee Mizuno's are popular!! I almost got some of the MX-25's but finally decided on the CG Golds and couldnt be happier, nice and forgiving but not a super game improvment "shovel" they still let you know when you dont quite hit it right. I have to agree with the previous posts though fitting is the most important thing, im 6f3 and these are my firs ever custom fitted clubs... i wish i had the $$$ to do it earlier!

I was looking at these...but I like to Reds better, how do you like them?

In my Grom Stand Bag:

Driver: Launcher 400
Hybrid: Idea a30s Boxer 2i
Irons: MP-60's 4-PWWedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56.12Wedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 60.4Putter: I-Series Anser 4Ball: Prov1

I use Nickent Genex ARC Blade irons, because this year I am really focusing on my ball striking, and these force me to make a good swing, my next irons will be players' cavities, either Bridgestone's, PING's, Callaway's, or Cleveland's. Although if Nike does come out wit some new combo irons I may get those .

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I was looking at these...but I like to Reds better, how do you like them?

I love the golds they suit me perfectly, i took a long time deciding on my new clubs hit just about everything they had at the range including the reds and golds next to each other, they were very similar but for my handycap range i went with the golds. The pro at the range said as a rule of thumb golds are for 20 - 10 and reds under 10. But as we all know on here irons are a personal choice.

Hi Guys I am brand new to this forum and I am thinking about purchasing Taylormade 300 series irons from PGA store. I tried them and they felt really well. I am a pretty good ball striker but my putting is horrible hence the very high handicap index. The golf pro said these are more forgiving than traditional blades and they felt like it. I know my road may be harder not using big cavity backs I just like the feel of these. Are any of you familiar with these irons? I believe they are about seven years old.

Note: This thread is 5821 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!