IGNORED

Mizuno wedges

Note: This thread is 5790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Folks,
I'm considering buying a set of mizuno wedges and can't decide whether the mp-t or mp-r would better suit my swing and game. Does anyone out there have experience with either and what other wedges they might compare to?

Thanks,
Matt
ITB
Ping Si3 10* Grafalloy Blue
Mizuno F-60 13.5* Exsar FS3
Mizuno CLK FLI-HI 17* Exsar HS2
Mizuno MP-67 4-PW DG S300Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58Bobby Jones 64Titleist Cameron Stainless Newport 2Titleist ProV1x

Hey Folks,

I have the MP-T, which I chose because of lofts and bounce degrees rather than a difference with MP-R, so I can't comment on that.

However, I love these wedges far more than my previous Vokeys (52.8 and 56.14 or 58.8, depending), for what that's worth. When I hit a chip with them, it feels like a whiff most of the time. I seriously don't feel the ball on the club during a good chip. I even have the 47° instead of the PW from my irons (MP-57).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey Folks,

I have both. A 51* MP-T GW, which I love. Just an easy club to swing. I also have the MP-R wedges. While I like them, they don't feel as good as my Cleveland wedges.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Thanks for the replies folks. One additional question; it's hard to tell from the pictures but do they look totally different at address?

Thanks
ITB
Ping Si3 10* Grafalloy Blue
Mizuno F-60 13.5* Exsar FS3
Mizuno CLK FLI-HI 17* Exsar HS2
Mizuno MP-67 4-PW DG S300Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58Bobby Jones 64Titleist Cameron Stainless Newport 2Titleist ProV1x

Thanks for the replies folks. One additional question; it's hard to tell from the pictures but do they look totally different at address?

My MP-T is a penny/brownish color while my MP-R are silver. They are cut almost alike, however, the color difference makes it seem different. (They're really not, though) FWIW, my MP-T has a uniflex shaft.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I have an MP-R set (52/7, 56/10, 60/5) that I played for about a season. I switched back to my CG10s because I realized the MP-Rs were just too light for me. I think the swingweight is something slightly less than D4. Most of this is because of the additional grinding that goes on with the MP-R. I'd imagine the MP-Ts play a little heavier. If you are used to the weight of something like the CG10s or the Vokeys, I definitely wouldn't switch to the MP-Rs. If you like lighter wedges, the MP-Rs spin the ball almost as much as a Vokey (not quite), and feel pretty soft. They tend to "ring" when you hit it toe-wards, unlike the CG10s which produce a deadened feel. Solid hits feel fine, though. These are all things to consider.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I just got the 56* and 60* MP-T wedges, and I love them so far. The grooves on my old wedges had really faded, so switching over to these has been very easy for me. Since I'm a lefty I was able to get them in chrome (for some reason they only make them in chrome for leftys and black nickle for rightys) and they look great.

I tested the MP-R at a local golf store, and I didn't really notice too much of a difference. I decided to go with the MP-Ts though just because my old wedges had a tear drop shape to them and I liked them, so I figured I might as well stick with the one I know I will like.

909 D2 9.5° Driver - Diamana Blue Board Stiff
F-60 3W - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
CLK FLI-HI 17°/20° Hybrids - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Stiff
MP-57 4-PW - True Temper Dynalite Gold Superlite S300
MP-T 54°/12° & 60°/8° - Rifle Spinner Bettinardi C-03 Putter Pro V1x

Just got fitted a couple of months ago and went with the MP-t's. (51, 56, 60 all chrome) The colors should be the same as the MP-R's. They both come in chrome or nickel. The grinds are the same as well. The difference is in the shape of the toe to hosel. The T stands for teardrop. They looked very similar to me at address. Just liked the overall look of the T's better. Absolutely have loved the clubs and for the first time in my life have been able to bring a ball back on shots to the green.

All fires eventually go out!

HiBore 10.5 Standard Shaft Stiff

MP-60 4-PW Dynamic Gold 300 MP-T 51,56,60 V-Foil HX Tour 56 (guess I'll be changing soon)

hi, I have a Mizuno MPR 56 sandwedge w/13 bounce - its used for about half a season - if you wanna buy it off me to test it out i will sell it or cheap - pm and we can talk

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Have MPT's and love the C ground sole. I would concur with the earlier reponse, on how sweet it is to hit with these. Would only chose T.

Driver: Bull 5000 10.5 FujiKura Vista Tour Stiff
Irons:MX25 5-PW. TT Black Gold
WoodGreat Big Bertha 4
HybridCLK Aldila Hybrid Stiff 20 and 23
Wedges: MPT RP Rifle Spinner Wedge 53 and 60Putter: Todd Sones GullaneBallHX Hot

I have the MP-T, which I chose because of lofts and bounce degrees rather than a difference with MP-R, so I can't comment on that.

you don't feel the ball? isn't this a bad thing? How do you get feel for a chip if it doesn't have feel...

Driver SS 93-95mph
6 iron SS 77-80mph

Driver: Burner 9.5 S
3 Wood: G10 SIrons 3-pw: MP-57 Dynalite Gold SL S300Wedges: 52 and 56 CG12 60 X- Forged CG/MDPutter: TiffanyBall: NXT TourI have no brand loyalty

you don't feel the ball? isn't this a bad thing? How do you get feel for a chip if it doesn't have feel...

Two different meanings of feel. My understanding of the feel for short game (and maybe I'm totally off on this) is that I have an instinct for how much to swing the club for a chip shot. So I do this for my practice swings, set up to the ball, and hit it with as close to what I think is the right swing. The club goes through its arc, the ball goes towards the hole, and it feels - second meaning, as in what my body perceives from the swing and club/ball interaction - the same as a practice shot.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!