IGNORED

NY course reviews

Note: This thread is 5792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

UV is an awesome course. It's not truly a links course, but close - there is heather and blind shots and friends from across the pond say it reminds them of home. It was used as a US Amateur qualifier a couple of times. No hole is the same, there are elevation changes and when in good condition, the greens are fast and true.

Oh, crap. I was thinking of River Vale in NJ. Sorry. But, while we're on the subject, anyone know anything about River Vale?

Bethpage red is a great courses - so is green and blue. Spilt Rock is a great course and def. the most challenging the city has to offer - 131 slope from the tips. I really like to play Dyker Beach - its got a wussy slope rating of 119 but its actually a hard courses and def. in the best shape of ANY city course

I live right by Dyker Beach golf course, and its the course i play most often. Its easy to get to in brooklyn, everyone is always friendly so i usually go play twilight by myself and pair up with 3 other people with no reservation. I always have a great time at dyker, and its maintained beautifully. If your in NYC you have to head to brooklyn and check this course out, its where Tiger Woods' father fell in love with golf!

PS. - This year they seem to be off to a slow start on some of the fairways and greens but, I imagine in another month the course will be as good as it always is maintenence wise.

In the bag:

Burner 460 Ti Driver 10.5°, Stiff shaft
Burner Steel 3 wood, Stiff Shaft
Burner Steel 5 wood, Stiff Shaft Burner Rescue 3, Stiff Shaft Tour Burner Irons 4-PW Z TP 52° Wedge Z TP 56° Wedge White Hot 2-ball

Hudson Hills is $85 during prime time for non-Westchester residents. After 2PM, it's $65 and after 4PM, it's $35. This includes a GPS Golf Cart and an immaculate conditioned golf course. It's also 7000 yards from the tips.

The 2pm rate is reasonable. I always wanted to play there. Do they allow walking?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The 2pm rate is reasonable. I always wanted to play there. Do they allow walking?

Yes, they allow walking. However, the rate remains the same.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

How is the pace of play at Dyker Beach?
If I show up at 6 pm, will I wait to play?
If I show up at 6 PM, will I finish 18 holes?
How far is Dyker Beach from midtown (Penn Station'ish) and downtown (Wall St'ish)?
What is the best subway to take over there?

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I played La Tourette yesterday again, still impressed with that course.

5 pm ferry had me on the first tee by about 6:05. Nobody on the first tee, just went out. But by 3rd hole hit a log jam. Took about 2:10 for the 9 holes, and waited on a lot of shots later in the 9, but was nothing like a sunday pace of play. Cost was $74 for 2 people ($17x2 for green fees, $20x2 for cab back and forth). Made the 9 pm ferry home, was back in the city by 9:30.

I would suggest this to people located downtown. Helps if you have a playing partner with whom to split the cab ride. (Bus runs down to the course, but I think it is like 15-20 stops and will add 20 minutes to your commute each way. I don't think bus is a viable twilight alternative to a cab.)

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

How is the pace of play at Dyker Beach?

It all varies really. Ive had a 6 hour round before, and I've had a 31/2 hour round before. But showing up at 6 i highly doubt you;ll finish 18 before its dark regardless to the pace. It's in brooklyn so from penn station the closest train is the D, but theres a bit of a hike from there, not sure what busses to take from there or the best route.

In the bag:

Burner Steel 5 wood, Stiff Shaft Burner Rescue 3, Stiff Shaft Tour Burner Irons 4-PW Z TP 52° Wedge Z TP 56° Wedge White Hot 2-ball

Sorry, meant to ask if I would finish 9 holes if I showed up at 6 pm.

I have the commute down. R train from Whitehall to 86 st, walk 3 avenues to 86th and 7th. Takes 56 minutes from Whitehall.

My questions were geared for twilight golf on weekdays, not a sunday round.

What's in the bag

Sorry, meant to ask if I would finish 9 holes if I showed up at 6 pm.

Twilight starts at 5 PM at Dyker and You will easily get through 9. I almost always play twilight and get through 12-14 usually starting at 5, I just keep going till i cant see the ball anymore then its homeward. If you are a member of american golf (25 bucks i believe, 45 with handicap GHIN number) like i am, twilight starts at 3pm if you ride a cart, and 4pm if you walk.

as for your commute, i think you can catch the b64 bus at that train stop and take that down the avenues, from 4th ave its a hike to get to the course, avenues are very long.

In the bag:

Played Dyker today. I liked it.

What is the deal with the American Golf membership?

What's in the bag

Played Dyker today. I liked it.

glad you enjoyed! i was stuck at work until 7:30 because the damn kids wouldnt go home. The american golf membership makes twilight start earlier, its 45 bucks with the GHIN handicap system included. It costs money but you play alot at american golf courses and you'll save money with the early twilight.

In the bag:

Finally going to play on an actual course rather than the driving range. I live close to Clearview. Do they require you to get a cart?

The twilight rate at Hudson Hills is a good deal.

Played it Saturday - super twilight started at 5pm for $40 w/cart. Good shotmakers course - played 15 holes, from 6300 yards and teed off using 3i, 4w half and half, driver once, but I don't really need the driver for this course. Not super narrow, but a mistake is penal, especially if you're not familiar with the layout. Elevated tees and uphill holes, some blind shots. Walkable, but doesn't look like many people walk, so you'll be catching up with carts all the time. Good/helpful service/staff too. As with most Hudson Valley courses, beautiful, gorgeous scenery. No range.

Garrison has a decent twilight rate too, but I think HH is a step up. Centennial has a great practice area - never played it - pricey. Liked Branton Woods, but that went private. Rockland Lake is not a bad layout and you can't beat the price, but conditioning is so so, although a little better this year. Also, it's relatively easy to get a morning tee time with late notice.

Courses that I will try this year:

West Point
Blue Hill
Patriot Hills
Architects GC

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Sounds like you had a great time at HH. It's the best public course in Westchester and actually was a private course, at one time. I believe it belonged to IBM.

If you ever plan on playing it and need a playing partner, send me a PM.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I went upstate to meet a friend for a round of 18 today and he took me too a course he hadn't even played yet. Dinsmore golf course in hyde park, NY (dutchess county i believe). I really enjoyed this course. Difficulty wise the front nine are short and easy. The back nine its like the course played a trick on you and suddenly you're missing pars and bogeys and hitting doubles and triples. It was fun, gorgeous scenery, decent condition (could use a mow all around and better kept rough. I found myself losing tee-shots where i saw where they went, just into the rough but there were weeds and stuff in certain places) but overall good time, worth a trip if your nearby, but not something to make a long trek too.

In the bag:

If you ever plan on playing it and need a playing partner, send me a PM.

Sure. Not planning to go in the next couple of weeks, but will probably go around July 4th.

The NE area may have the best combination of ultra private courses around, and it's too bad there aren't more public courses with reasonable rates. Some of the munis, if you got them into good shape, would be very competitive.

Steve

Hudson Hills

How do you get to those courses by public transportation?

What's in the bag

How do you get to those courses by public transportation?

I'm not sure, but probably by NJ Transit/Metro North and then a cab. I live in the city and I rent cars frequently. Zipcar, a community car sharing service, really changed my life in terms of convenience and value. If I go out, I can drop you a PM.

Here's a description from my blog: http://www.frabujous.us/zipcar

Steve

Note: This thread is 5792 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!