IGNORED

What custom length irons are you using?

Note: This thread is 5730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Right now i'm using standard but after trying out Howard Wyckoff's clubs today, I am going to get re-fit when i buy my new set at +1 inch.

I play standard length at 6'0 tall and they are perfect length for me.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I'm 6'6 and went from a +1 2* up to a +1 5* up, changed my game completely. Now this is no joke, the 1st round I play them after bending them 5° I had a flip PW from about 80 yards on the first hole, 2 bounce chip in! GET YOUR CLUBS FITTED!

Kevin
In the Bag:
ADAMS XTD 10.5 (S) 46"
Mizuno F-50 4-wood NV-65
TaylorMade Rescue TP 19° & 22°
TaylorMade X-300 FCI 5-pw Rifle 6.0 +1 4upCleveland 588 RTG 52° & 56° 3 upOdyssey 2-ball LONG cut to 40"

I'm 6'3" and play +1 1/2" (not very long arms for my height), 1° upright. Like others who have posted before, getting fitted was the best thing I've ever done for my game. (Even better than lessons. You have to practice those. )

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

6'5" tall and play the clubs in my signature line.

Were I forced to replace them today then it'd be with custom fitted X20Pros with the the steel shaft.....about as close to them as I can find on the market.

Custom fit is important when you are tall.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

i think it's great that everyone who has responded here is over 6'0" tall. I'm 6'2" and the +1 inch is going to be great when i get my clubs fitted next season. Now, it's just a matter of WHICH irons i want to get. Thus far, possible choices :

Bridgestone Forged J3 Combo
Nike Forged CCi
Titleist AP2/ZB/ZM's...not sure which of the three
Cobra CB or CM's

I'll jump in too....I just got fitted for some G10 irons...

I'm 6' the irons are +.75" 2* up

And just like everyone else has said, having clubs fitted makes a huge difference!

my sig says it all, and im 6'½"

i not only simply tested many different combinations of length when i was shopping for my new irons, i got fitted, and also used fitting charts from a bunch of different sites. my fitter told me to go with +½" but most charts said standard length with 2º up. so with that i tested lengths ranging from standard to +1" and +¼" produced the best results, and felt the best to me.

http://www.truetemper.com/golf/fitting.asp

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

My first set of irons beyond the starter set I was given are the Nike Sumo's. They've made the game much more enjoyable for me in terms of getting the ball in the air but even more than that, these are about an inch longer than standard. I'm 6'3" with fairly long arms.

I'd like to know what the other taller guys did before they got longer clubs ... I used to hate having to squat/crouch when hitting shots!

Btw, I just saw a 3 minute clip of Stewart Cink (6' 4") giving some instruction and he mentioned that his clubs are all standard length ... I didn't know that and it is somewhat relaxing to me b/c despite being fitted, I always feel like I struggle to get my club down to the ball on my irons.

It's not surprising that Cink uses standard length shafts - it's not always about the length, the lie angle is more important if you can get you body/back at the right angle at address.

I read somewhere before that Nick Faldo (6'4") and Ian Woosnam (5'6") used the same length shafts back in their hayday - interesting stuff considering their height diff.

Anywho - for me, i got +1/4 inch and 0.75* (blue dot) upright, though I think i'd get +1.5* upright if I was getting new Ping irons. I'm 6'1/2". Fitted myself on the Ping website, went to my Pro and he recommended the exact same set-up.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

5'8 or 5'9, I think I've grown, but not since the fitting. My irons are -1/2".

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5'10"
-1/4" 1 deg flat
37.75" 5 iron (= ping's standard length)

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

I'm 6'2" ans use +1" on my irons. Std lie, but I think I read somewhere that for every inch you add to the club length you actually make it 2* more upright? Idk for some reason that sticks in my mind. In any case the difference is amazing......get fitted. Oh, and the +1" will add 5+ yds to all of your irons - at least it did for me. Unintended result, just something to watch out for, fyi.

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

I am going to go get myself fitted for some new clubs sometime soon. I'm using a set of standard length Dunlop blade irons I've had for 3-4 years right now, they ain't cuttin' the mustard.

Lets say for some reason after you bought the clubs you decided you wanted them a little shorter, can they cut/shave them down a little or does this mess up the whole fitting of the club? Worst case scenario but I was just curious.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!