IGNORED

Vokey Shaft Upgrade: Is it worth it?

Note: This thread is 5776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on some new Vokeys. My irons have ProjectX Flighted (6.0) shafts in them, and it's been suggested I might want to put the ProjectX (5.5) shafts in the Vokeys to maintain a similar feel.

I do prefer a softer feel in my wedges, and I believe the stock, off the shelf, shaft (TrueTemper S200) fits that bill.

I was fitted less than a year ago and am pretty much a standard length, standard lie, standard grip size guy, so off-the-rack should fit well, and save me $25 per club. I'd also save myself the 2 week wait for the clubs to arrive from the factory.

Realistically, how much of a difference will I really notice in a wedge, and does paying the up charge really make sense?

Thanks,
Tony

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

I went through the same thought process when it came time to replace my wedges. I play PX shafts on my irons, but decided that I didn't need the same "feel" through my wedges. Since I had only ever played DG on my wedges, I decided to stick with what I know.

(plus I saved $25 a wedge, so that's always good)

I cant imagine there is that much of a difference. But if you have the money to burn then i suppose it couldnt hurt, either.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I thought about getting some rifle spinners... I just hate having to order things and wait around. It's such a pain...

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I have a Spinner in an old TaylorMade wedge. I do like the feel of the shaft, but Titlest doesn't offer it.

I got to thinking about it a bit more, and decided it wasn't worth the $75 to put ProjectX shafts in 3 wedges. I'll play the S200 and S300 (52.08) for now. If I end up hating them, which seems highly unlikely, I'll put Spinners in then.

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

as a 20 handicap, you won't notice the difference enough for it to be worth it. Most single digit guys wouldn't even notice unless it was a huge change.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

interesting thread - I had S300 shafts in my Vokeys, but I ordered an S400 shaft in my Ping Tour-W wedge. The heavier shaft keeps the ball lower, i've better control and haven't lost any touch around the greens. Barely noticable with chipping - pitching is easier to control the flight and full shots go lower.

A friend of mine upgraded from S300's in his Vokeys to Project X 6.5 (matching his irons) and says it's the best thing he ever did. Can't say it's made that much of a difference but he loves them!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Note: This thread is 5776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!