IGNORED

Broke 90!

jrm1493
Note: This thread is 5757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First time, I shot an 88. We played from the whites (5750 yds, 68.6/119 rating) but who cares, its still the strongest round corrected for the course rating that I've ever had. Only bad spots were terrible putting - 40 putts but I hit 9 GIRs (the greens were awful so that probably added several putts). I was also very wild with the driver but the course let me get away with some because the holes are close together and I still had shots. At least I know what I need to work on. I was deadly with my wedges and because of the length of the course I didn't get in too much trouble w/driver because I only used it maybe 8 or 9 times.

On the last hole (a 485yd par 5 into 35mph gusts) I needed a 7 to shoot 89. I pulled my drive into a pond but I didn't give up. I dropped in front of the pond in the rough probably still 330-340 out and crushed a low 3 wood about 220 yards to the center of the fairway (into the wind!). Then I bladed an 8 iron but it ended up ok, about 15 yards right of the green with a trap in front (got away with that one because it stopped about 5 yards short of another pond). The pin was about 5 paces on next to the trap. I knew I had to get it close because I had been putting bad and the greens were terrible, so I opened up my 56 and hit a great flop to about 8 ft - just dropped down dead with no roll. I sunk the putt for a 6 and an 88. Great feeling!

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

Awesome round! Keep it up! I remember too when i broke 90 for the first time and how good i felt. Now that you know the mental picture of it you'll be breaking 90 regularlly now.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Congradulations.....tough wind and rough greens sounds real familiar to the tracks I began playing on and still do.

That 3 wood sounds like a flush shot if ever there was one. You needed it after finding trouble and it did well into the wind. Just goes to show that even under adversity you've proven to yourself that you can do it.

Good job focusing on the positive aspects of your round and still keeping track of areas to work on.

That's how you build well placed confidence.

I just started keeping up with the number of putts I stroke per round (based on advice I gained on this forum). It sure does keep you focused on where the strokes come from when you're adding up your score. For me it takes the pressure off the tee shot (which I need to do because that added tension screws me up) and puts the pressure on when I get around the greens. This pressure I like as it equates to higher levels of focus.

Keep at it!!!!
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Congrats, I really don't remember breaking 90. Good luck breaking 80!!!
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Congratulations, I still haven't kept score yet, but plan to for the first time Sunday morning. Ive only played 2-18 Hole rounds to date. Most of my practicing is done at a local 9 hole course and when I go their I just try to focus on each shot.

JRM,

Way to go, especially keeping it together on the last hole. I'm happy to hear about your success!!!!

And it sounds like you'll pick upa few more shots as soon as you tame your driver a little. :)

Awesome! Congrats!

On the last hole (a 485yd par 5 into 35mph gusts) I needed a 7 to shoot 89.

Ouch. So did you walk into the last hole actually knowing this? Shooting bogey knowing you need a seven to break 90 is actually pretty good. That's why I never count my score until I'm done. If I know I need to shoot something to break a specific score I want I wind up choking.

Congrats again!
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well done man. Did you add 'em up at the 18th tee box to figure out what you needed for an 89, or are you telling us now?

My first time breaking 90, I knew I was playing well but had no idea what my total was until I was having lunch after the round.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well done, keep up the good work, next to break the 80 barrier!!!

RIP Our Brave Little Baby Callam Liu, Still Born 12.37pm, 30th October 2007

- VR Cavity irons
- R7 Driver
- V Steel (2006) Fairway (3 Wood)- V Steel (2006) Fairway (5 Wood)- Rescue Mid Fairway (19 Degrees)- Titleist Vokey (Lob Wedge)- Scotty Cameron (Putter)

NICE!! good job,

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

First time, I shot an 88. We played from the whites (5750 yds, 68.6/119 rating) but who cares, its still the strongest round corrected for the course rating that I've ever had. Only bad spots were terrible putting - 40 putts but I hit 9 GIRs (the greens were awful so that probably added several putts).

I know exactly what that feels like.

The really great part is you only hit the ball 48 times. That's putter will come around and you are bound for an 81 this year.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Awesome! Congrats!

Yep, I knew I was close and I wanted to know so I figured out what I needed on the 16th tee (I needed 17 strokes or less over the last 3 holes - I went bogey-bogey-bogey for 16 strokes). Maybe if I hadn't known I wouldn't have pull-hooked my drive on 18 but the truth is that club is pretty out of control for me right now so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Next time out I may leave the driver in my car because I'm usually solid with my 3 wood. The driver is a regular shaft and the 3 wood stiff so I might need an upgrade on the driver. I used to be more consistent with the driver but I think my swing speed has increased since I started hitting a lot of balls and I think I might need a stiff shaft (i now hit it farther but not as straight) - I'm going to go to golfsmith and get on the monitor to see what my swing speed is.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

• 3 weeks later...
I have made a 92, those 3 extra shots are giving me a lot of work, my pitching from 80 yards and below, and my bunkers shots, are my limitation to break 90. Congratulations!!!! I will keep you posted if a break 90

What´s in my bag

Driver: Hibore Monster 10.5 Regular Flex, Fujikura
3 wood: Big Bertha 15 Stiff Flex
Hybrid: Halo 22 (3) StiffIrons: X18 3-PWWedges: Vokey Spin 56; 60Putter: Ball: Pro V1

Congrats on a great round. Don't get discouraged if it takes you a few trys to do it again. You may never look back on 90, but, for most folks, you'll have some ups and downs during your journey.

Congrats man. One of my 2008 goals is to get my handicap down to 19, due to it being a teen handicap and if I were to golf on a par 70 course, technically I'd be a 89 handicapper. 17 would be fantastic.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

Note: This thread is 5757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!