IGNORED

How do you grip the club?

Note: This thread is 3287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How do you grip the club?

• Vardon / Overlapping
    • Baseball / Ten Finger
    • Interlocking

I currently use the baseball grip (switched from interlocking), and it's working very well for me. Once I get the time, I'll probably make a switch to overlapping, as I think that might be a more solid grip for me to have, and with the changes I need to make with my swing, I might as well start by changing my grip.

Driver: Big Ben C-S3
3w: Tight Lies
Irons: T-Zoid True
Wedges: Vokey 56* and 60* spin-milled
Putter: unknown 3-ballBall: HX-Tour/Tour ix

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started with the vardon/overlap and switched last year to interlock and it feels great. I find i need much less timing with my hands and can use my body and arms more - my distance and accuracy improved - but this game is freakin crazy - I am sure someone here had the exact opposite experience vrom me.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Overlapping for me. I have played with the other two ways but overlapping just seems more natural and comfortable to me.

I used to play with a pro on fridays that used a baseball or ten finger grip and he said he flet as if he could get his hands a little more involved by using this grip, but it never seemed to work for me. To each his own.

Interlocking. To me, using that kind of a grip has always made it feel like my hands work together better and makes me feel more like I am one with the club.
Im definetly open to any opinions as to what might be better though.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

When if was first learning, 14 years ago, I started off with the interlocking grip. When I played in high school my coach switched me over to the overlapping and it worked well. I stopped playing through college and when I came back to the game the interlocking just felt better and I've been playing that way every since.

In my Ogio Bag
Driver - Cobra 10.5 F Speed
3 Wood - Cobra LD speed
Hybrid - TaylorMade Burner 22 degree
Irons - Callaway X-Tour 3-PW 52.08 Degree Gap Wedge - Titleist Vokey Spin Milled56.14 Degree Sand Wedge - Titleist Vokey Spin Milled60.07 Degree Lob Wedge - Titleist Vokey Spin MilledPutter...

Was 10 finger, but now overlap, as interlocking hurts my fingers and feels insecure to me

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Interlocking for me. Tried to learn overlapping but had some problems with it as the right hand never felt comfortable and the pinky would feel sore almost immediately. I think it might have something to do with my shorter fingers, interlocking just feels much more comfortable and doesn't give me any of the pain that I get with overlapping.

New Driver Ordered
New 3 Wood Ordered
Two New Hybrids Ordered
I-701 Irons 5-PW w/ Rifle 5.0
Callaway X-Forged Vintage Wedges 50/12, 54/14, 58/10 (C-Grind Sole) w/ Rifle 5.5Yes! Marilyn 33" Z-URS ||| SkyCaddie SG 2.5 ||| Clicgear Model 2.0

Since most sites simply change one word, can someone explain cleary (for once), the difference between the vardon and interlocking grips. Say for example you were explaining how to grip the club in both terms - what's the difference.

I've used the ten finger for two years because I like freeing my hands up a little bit but have been slowly switching - and am not even sure which one I'm actually doing again, because most sites usually only change one word.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

Been using interlocking forever, trying out vardon/overlapping lately and i am liking the results.

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

I never even knew there was something other than overlapping. However i read that interlocking is for people with smaller hands and weaker forearms and wrists, so im going to teach my girlfriend that one.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

Overlap grip for me. It is more comfortable. I started out with the interlock when I first began playing. Occassionally I try to go back to it but find I tend to push the ball right.

I have only used the baseball grip on the driving range. The result, duck hooks left.

As a former baseball player, and fairly recent convert to golf obsessive, I've had to force myself away from the 10 finger grip. While it still feels more 'natural' during follow through, I definitely sacrafice consistency when I revert to it. Now that I've worked into a comfort zone with the interlocking grip, I have much more control off the tee than ever before.

I started for the first several years with the ten finger as I felt it gave me more feel and control of the club. I decided about six or seven years ago to make a change and I got comfortable with the overlapping grip. The interlocking grip hurt my knuckles too much. I now hit the ball straighter and much further.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

In my short 3 year history with obsessive golf, I've cycled through all the grips.

Started off with an interlocking grip and my mishits were almost always pushes/slices or a combination of both.

I then took lessons and my instructor asked me to try out the 10 finger grip to help get the feel of turning my wrists through impact to close the club face. It worked, and in combination to getting a proper shoulder turn, my mishits gradually turned into hooks.

Now i use an overlapping grip and i don't even think about it anymore, however, after getting my swing revamped once again at Stratton, VT golf university (3 day golf school), I'm struggling with my game. Almost all of it except 125 yards and in.
R7 Superquad 10.5* REAX regular flex shaft
FT 5 wood
675XC forged irons 3-PW, True Temper DG SL stiff(S300) shafts
55* BeCu sandwedge
e6+ balls or ProV1
Cougar X-cat putter (odyssey 2-ball rip-off)

Ok, just so there is no confusion.

10 Finger - Same way you grip a baseball bat. From the perspective of a right hand golfer, left hand is on top, right hand just below it. All fingers wrap around the shaft, the hands just butting up against each other.

Overlapping - Take the 10 finger grip, and place the pinky finger of the right hand over the index finger of the left hand. Slide the right hand to fill the resulting gap. You can also place the pinky over the crease of the left index and second finger (not between, just on top, not separating the left hand fingers).

Interlocking - Instead of laying the right pinky over the left fingers, interlock it with the left index finger (hook them together). Some people hook all the way to the webbing, some hook only just slightly. It is a personal choice.

You can also try the Jim Furyk double overlap, or the reverse grip (right on top, left on bottom) but man those feel funny!
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Note: This thread is 3287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!