IGNORED

New Irons For a 7 Hdcp...

Note: This thread is 5796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for a set of new irons, so I have been demo-ing several clubs over the last week. I have been playing TM OS-2's for about 2 years now, and I have lowered my handicap from 14 to 7. I want to get a set with less offset, cavity back, (definitley not a blade), so I have been looking at TM Tour Burners, R-7 TP's and similar sets by other companies. The guys at my local Edwin Watts store told me that it doesn't matter if you pick Callaway, Ping, TM...whichever, because they are all about the same in quality. They said to pick the set that looks good to my eye, and then have them fit to my swing.

Do you think that is pretty much true? Would Ping I-5's, R-7 TP's and Titleist AP-2's all be pretty similar since they are all in the same category of irons? Is it really all about the custom fitting? Also, I love the look of the Mizuno MP 57's, but are they meant for a lower handicap player?

Go to a demo day and hit em all. You will be surprised that the ones you wanted may not feel as good as the ones you just hit cause they were there.

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

There is more to it than just a name brand. Do you want forged or cast clubs? What type of cavity back are you looking for? A full, more forgiving or a slightly smaller CB? There are a lot of variables. My suggestion to you is write down exactly what you want and then test the different types.

From experience, a good, cavity back with a thinner topline, somewhat forgiving and workable is the Titleist 690CB. You can find a set for a few hundred bucks, too.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

There is more to it than just a name brand. Do you want forged or cast clubs? What type of cavity back are you looking for? A full, more forgiving or a slightly smaller CB? There are a lot of variables. My suggestion to you is write down exactly what you want and then test the different types.

Thanks man, I will check out the 690CB's. I would like to take a gradual step...meaning I don't want to jump from a game improvement iron to a forged blade with no forgiveness. I definitely want a cavity back with some forgiveness.

Do any of you have any experience with Ben Hogan irons? I know these are "player's" irons, and they are fairly cheap on Ebay. I thought of maybe trying an inexpensive set out just incase I'm not ready for these type of irons.

I just went through this as recently as a month ago. After trying out 7 different sets, I fell in love with the Adams set. I absolutely love them. Especially the hybrids. I have tried tons of hybrids over the last 12 months, and nothing I hit has compared to these.

They may not sound as attractive as Callaway or titleist but I play cobra fps and i can honestly say they gave me better feel than any other iron at the demo day I was at. BUt then again every one has a different feel of clubs.

In the Sasquatch Tour Standbag
Driver: Hibore (10.5deg, Reg)
3 wood:Burner(22 deg, Reg)
4I-GW:FP Irons(Stiff)
Wedge:Satin Black( 60 deg, Stiff)Putter: 2 Ball BladeBall:HX Hot or ProV1xLowest score to date: 77 @ Pembroke Country Club

Is this for a gift? I would think a 7 handicapper has an idea what works.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I'm in the same sitation as you right now.

Currently trying to decide between the

755's (which I haven't tried)
S58's
i10's
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I'm in the same sitation as you right now.

Yea, Dent, I want to get the 755's. They are inexpensive.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Yea, Dent, I want to get the 755's. They are inexpensive.

Yep, Saw brand new on ebay for $444.00 Buy It Now. Haven't tried them, any similiar to the 695 CB's?

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I've never hit them. I never even seen them in person. I want to go look at them and then buy them before they are sold out lol.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

The 755's look really nice at address... thin top line, not a HUGE club head like other irons...comparable to my 735's. Its just all that red pizazz going on in the back that throws me off. In all honesty I would think at the level of a 7 handicap you could go with something leaning more towards the feedback side of things rather than forgiveness. Obviously I only have 'musclebacks' from 8 to PW...but I can't really see much lack of forgiveness in comparison to the 7-4 iron which have progressively deeper cavities. I was kind of in the same situation as you (well, higher handicap but wanted a more traditional looking iron with less offset) and I would say you might give a look at some combo/mixed sets. I was fairly confident I didn't want blades/musclebacks for my long irons...seeing how I happen to have a few mishits now and again. The combo set worked really well for me, gave me the look I needed to be happy and confident over my iron shots...and really has helped me to groove a more consistent swing without really giving up much in terms of forgiveness.

Hi-Bore 9.5° w/ UST pro-force v2 Stiff
Halo 1i 16°
Halo 3i 22°
735.cm 4-PW
Vokey 52.8, Vokey Spin-Milled 56.10, 60.4 Sophia 32" or Studio Design 1 34"

the 755's are REALLY nice,they sit pretty in your bag and at address and they are forged and feel great

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

Yep, Saw brand new on ebay for $444.00 Buy It Now. Haven't tried them, any similiar to the 695 CB's?

They are pretty similar except the 695s have stronger lofts. They are also comprised of two different steels: the 695s are 1025 Mild Carbon Steel and the 755s are a Forged 410 Steel.

Personally, I think the 755s feel and look better. That's just me, though.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Just a suggestion... try out Brigde Stone golf. They have really surged into the US market of late. (400-500 million in copyright infrigement lawsuits doesn't hurt buisness)
Standard shafts are project X flighted (a 200 dollar upgrade for most other companies)
They also let you mix and match a set without creating a gap in your distance between irons. That means you can shoot a packet cavity or hybrids for your 3 and 4 irons... a thin line cavity back for your 5 through 7 irons.... and blades for your 8 through pw "scoring" irons....

totally up to you... but seriously try them out... they go for about 600-700 but you can't beat that value in new name brand clubs... especially with the project X flighted shaft upgrade.

Good luck

let me know what you think

Note: This thread is 5796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!