IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am surprised none of the big forged blade lovers have joined in on this debate.

I personally started with Pings which are, of course, cast irons. The irons I now hit are forged and I really like them. On the other hand as much as I like my forged irons, I am really looking at going back to a ping iron. Mind you even my forged set were not blades, at least not the long irons. Even at a solid 2 handicap I don't see me ever switching to a forged blade as they are just too darn hard to hit.

Getting back on topic, forged or cast it doesn't matter. Look at the bags on tour, sure forged irons probably outnumber cast but there are a bunch of cast irons being used out there. Pick the one that you personally like the look and feel of.

IMHO I think people let their egos pick their clubs for them way too often. I don't know how many 6 handicappers I have heard say they needed a forged blade so they could work the ball. Work the ball!? Please!? Try hitting it straight before you start mixing in that gentle fade.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have two thoughts on this.

1. FEEDBACK. One reason to choose forged. So that you can learn through trial and error, where center face contact is and how to get there often.

2. Forged clubs FEEL better because they are softer metal. I would assert that the ball stays on the face an instant longer - kind of like tennis - this DOES rob some ball speed - but most forged players are willing to trade this speed for the FEEL.

Love my 30's & perhaps will get to the 67's when I get to 5. Just something to shoot for & reward for me.

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

i havent noticed much difference in feel between a forged iron and a good cast iron. i think the actual material has more to do with it than how it was formed.

I think the original question is hard to understand and the quote above is right on. There really is not a whole lot difference from a forged cavity and well made cast cavity of the same size and design. The steel in the cast is a little harder but will give you the same feel of a good hit. There are over-sized cavities which are cast or forged, and play basically the same. There are also numerous cast clubs which are so large and hollow (huge game improvement designs) only a cast can make them and these clubs offer little feedback on well struck shots and really cannot be compared to "player's type cast or forged designs. A great cast club head are the Marumans M series, cast of a soft metal they look, feel and play exactly as a forged club.

I play the Titleist 695 Mb irons and I am having a great time with them (got them for Christmas). In the past couple of weeks I have really learned to laugh at myself with the bad shots.

The main reason I wanted these irons is because I felt I could hit the same shot consistantly with cavity backs, but the lack of feedback left me wondering how good my swings really were. I got my answer :(

• Administrator
Forged here, because I like the control, feel, and looks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
Forged here, because I like the control, feel, and looks.

On your 735.CM irons, do you have the chrome version or the stainless version?

In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

I am currently playing forged irons and the reason isn't that they feel softer or harder or hit the ball straighter or longer etc etc.

The reason I am playing forged irons is when I was last looking for a set of irons the ones that looked the best to ME happened to be forged. If they had of been cast that's what I would be playing. I play and practice a lot and am a fairly decent ball striker who has played off handicaps between scratch and 6. My current forged irons (and all other forged sets I have ever owned) have developed that nice little "wear spot" right in the middle of the face from about 5 iron down so I am catching them all solid so I have no real need for game improvement type clubs.

Over the last 25+ years I have used forged and cast clubs from just about every manufacturer and I really couldn't tell the difference as to how soft/hard they feel, catch any of them in the middle and they all feel good.

Basically I am influenced completely by how an iron looks to me at setup, end of the story. Once they are set up to my specs they all work well for me.

My alltime favourite set of irons also happened to be forged, Ram Tour Grinds from the early to mid eighties, I wore out three sets of them :)

Have to agree with chingali on this. I can't really feel a difference between irons when you catch them flush. Perhaps the only real perceivable difference for me is that the location of the sweetspot tends to be different. Most of the forged baldes that I have played have tended to have a sweetspot closer to the heel (due to the longer hosel and therefore an alteration in the location of the sweetspot). If I remember correctly, the MP-32 was in fact the first true blade the Mizuno made where the sweetspot was consistently in the centre of the clubface throughout the entire set. You would have thought manufacturers would have perfected this decades ago!

I bought grain flow forged mp 33's about 6 years ago, granted they are beaten to hell, but I absolutely LOVE THEM still. They have a great feel, and a great look. That is why I play forged irons, is because they have the best feel out of any of them out there to me.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I have been playing forged irons for a long time. I was probably playing them before I had the ability to do so. I am currently playing Mizuno MP-67. I also have a set of MP-60's. The MP-67 Blades are the most forgiving, yes, most forgiving, and sweetest clubs I have ever played. Nothing like that soft, solid feel of a blade.

Randell L. Vansant, PGA
Assistant Professional
Mizuno Brand Ambassador
Spokane Country Club, Spokane, WA
Mail to RandellIn My Bag:Callaway Fusion FT-5 (Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3)Titleist 909 F2 13.5 (Diamana Blue Board)Mizuno CLK 20 Degree Hybrid (Aldila NV Hybrid)Mizuno MP-57 Irons, 4-PW...

I recently received a set of Nike forged blades as a present. As a high handicap player I wondered whether I'd be able to hit them at all. Much to my surprise I have found them to be relatively easy to hit and certainly no less forgiving than my old cavity backs. Sure hits of the toe and heel are not too pretty but the cavity backs weren't really any better in that respect.

My ball trajectory is much higher leading to softer landings. This together with better accuracy and length has been most satisfying. However, what I really like is the lighter softer feel of the club face when striking balls; my old cavity backs feel very hard and nasty by comparison. I am really enjoying my Nike's and my confidence with my irons is growing.

My conclusion is that the so called forgiveness of cavity backs is way overrated as is the difficulty in hitting blades.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

On your 735.CM irons, do you have the chrome version or the stainless version?

I can't speak for Erik, but mine are the stainless version. Mainly it's because that was the only metal that would allow me to have them bent up 4 degrees and extended out 1.5". I'm 6'7" so I needed the adjustments made and the chrome would not allow it, at least that's what I was told.

I have heard that the stainless is a little softer than the chrome, but I have no experience playing the chrome ones. I will say that mine are very soft even on a thin shot or mishit. Not so soft that I don't know what's going on, but they don't leave my funny bone ringing for 4 holes either. And, on the occassions that I do hit the center, I barely feel the ball. I can't complain about them. I just played yesterday in 36 degree weather up in Alabama and had no problems with stinging fingers on mishits.

Scott Sandlin
ROLL TIDE!

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10.5 deg, Stiff
Fairway: Taylormade R7 Steel 13 deg, Wilson Deep Red II Distance 18 deg, StiffIrons: Titleist 735.cm 3-PW, DG S300, +1.5", +4 deg upWedge: Titleist Vokey SM 53 deg and 59 degPutter: Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 33"Ball: Titleist...

The debate should really be cavity back versus blades, rather than cast versus forged. Anyone who has read Wishon or Maltby will tell you that the manufacturing process has nothing to do with something like workability or forgiveness (I know this has been said already). And personally I will take what I have read from those two guys over Wikipedia any day.

I have hit cast blades and clubs with minimal cavities and I have hit forged clubs with big cavities. The forged clubs were more forgiving and less workable than the cast.

Again, I know this has been said, but it is a bit tiring reading the same misconceptions over and over. The reason people seem to think forged automatically equals workability and cast automatically equals forgiveness is due to the manufacturing limitations in the forging process. You just can't make a forged club with the same type of forgiving cavity that you can when casting. It is much more difficult to get a lower center of gravity that is placed further back when forging.

Another reason you don't see that many very forgiving forged clubs is the cost. Forging is more expensive than casting so forged clubs typically cost more. Players that need forgiveness are typically newer/less experienced golfers and these people don't want to spend the kind of money that forged clubs cost. So there is less of a market for forged, forgiving irons.

Other misconceptions I have read regarding forged clubs are distance and distance control. Yes forged clubs are generally softer (hence the different feel) but this does not do anything for height, trajectory, distance control, etc. Again it comes down to the design of the head and not the material. A softer steel will not make a noticeable difference when it comes to how far you are hitting the ball.

But I still like forged clubs. I like the look, and I like the feel. Since so much of golf is mental being comfortable with your clubs is just as important as their MOI and CG.

But I still like forged clubs. I like the look, and I like the feel. Since so much of golf is mental being comfortable with your clubs is just as important as their MOI and CG.

I agree 100%. I love the look of a nice "blade", but until my game warants it, I will stick to a club that has a cavity back so that I get all the benfits from a larger center of gravity.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

• 1 month later...
I have been having trouble finding which irons I am going to purchase this season.

I have been playing blades since I was little and I have no problem with the feel or the unforgiviness.

This summer I am going to be playing golf everyday, should I go with blades like the Mizuno MP-67 or cavity back players irons like the Taylormade R7 TP's.

To give you some background my previous irons went in this order: Titleist blades (old don't know model), Ben Hogan Apex Edge, and most recently the Taylormade Rac Combo TP's. I love the feel of blades, but the biggest problem I have is greens in regulation.

I am going to be playing so much this summer I will have time to adapt to either, if anyone has an opinion it would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants to post their thoughts on blades and cavity backs feel free.

Driver: Speed Pro D 9.5*

3 Wood: 904F4 15.5*

Hybrid: 585.H 19*Irons: MP-32 4-PWWedges: 52* CG12 DSG 58* CG12 DSG 64* CG12 DSGPutter: custom Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-SlantBall: Pro V1x

Your handicap is good enough to play the MP-67's thats for sure. I love mine. I really like the top line on them. If you could blind fold test between the Mizuno MP-67 and any cavity back you couldn't tell the difference. They're that good.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

Note: This thread is 1375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!