IGNORED

Getting fit for new clubs

Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for your opinions about getting fit for clubs. Did you get fit? Would you recommend it? Did you pay for the fitting? Any feedback will be helpful.

Several places around my area offer free fitting when you buy their clubs. Everybody i know goes up to golfsmith to buy clubs with free fitting and yeah its pretty smart to get fit. A wrong length of shaft or lie could really mess you up.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

Get FIT!!!!! In the end it can save you some serious cash... I'll use myself as an example, I bought a set of Hogan irons off the rack when I first started playing, after talking to some people I realized afterwards that I was 2 degrees flat in my lie angle and unfortunately the cast design of the Hogan did not allow for the club to be bent after production.

Find yourself a quality fiitter, so much will go into the fit... different shafts, flex points, swingweights

It's an investment, make a wise decesion and make the right decision the first time

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I am looking for your opinions about getting fit for clubs. Did you get fit? Would you recommend it? Did you pay for the fitting? Any feedback will be helpful.

I got fit for my starter set of irons and my current set of irons + wedges. I recommend it very much.

Whether your goal in playing is to have fun once every few months or you're trying to get yourself a green jacket, you should get fit. Most companies that I know of don't charge any more for fitting than they do if you buy off the rack. Some companies - like Mizuno - really want you to get fit for your clubs. I got a free fitting from them without having to commit to buying anything (although I had already made up my mind that the MP-57s were for me). Even if you don't care about the benefit for your game - if you don't care whether you make eagle or quadruple bogey - properly fit clubs are just more comfortable to swing. That alone makes the experience more enjoyable. We could go into how much an off lie angle or shaft length could affect your game in numbers if you really want. There are plenty around here who know the numbers. So, yes, I suggest getting fit. Once you know what clubs you want, let us know - some of us might have been fit for those clubs in the past, and can offer more direct advice.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would go to a fitter before you decide what kind of clubs to buy. Hit a bunch of clubs to see what feels best, and which ones you hit best, and then buy the clubs the best clubs for you that also fit your budget.

Driver: Callaway FT-5 Tour 10.5 OZIK XCON 6
Wood: Callaway FT 3w 15* Fujikura e370 S
Hybrid: FT Hybrid 3H 21* Fujikura e370 S
Irons: Callaway FT 4 - AW Nippon NS Pro 1100
Wedges: Callaway X Forged Chrome 56.14 SS/MD, 60.10 CG/MDPutter: Odyssey White Hot XG SabertoothBall: Callaway Tour ixBag:...

I got fit for my starter set of irons and my current set of irons + wedges. I recommend it very much.

What if I already know waht driver I want? Can I simply go to golfsmith to hit the various combinations on a LM to know which one to get? i.e. 10.5-Reg. or 10.5-Stiff or 9.5 stiff....you get the idea. Or is there more to it than that with drivers?

TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

What if I already know waht driver I want? Can I simply go to golfsmith to hit the various combinations on a LM to know which one to get? i.e. 10.5-Reg. or 10.5-Stiff or 9.5 stiff....you get the idea. Or is there more to it than that with drivers?

Do you know that you want that driver because you have hit a bunch of drivers, or for some other reason? The great thing about going to Golfsmith is that you can hit multiple drivers with multiple setups to find what works best for you.

Wedges: Callaway X Forged Chrome 56.14 SS/MD, 60.10 CG/MDPutter: Odyssey White Hot XG SabertoothBall: Callaway Tour ixBag:...

Do you know that you want that driver because you have hit a bunch of drivers, or for some other reason? The great thing about going to Golfsmith is that you can hit multiple drivers with multiple setups to find what works best for you.

People I have played with have them, and I love the way they feel at address and the way I hit them.
TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

People I have played with have them, and I love the way they feel at address and the way I hit them.

That makes it easy for you. The fitter can set up that club for you, and then show you a couple others that you might like to see how you hit them.

definately get any set fitted.

Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

I need to get my clubs fitted as well. Hopefully that'll make my game a bit better.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

interesting question. i had a set of x-forged irons fit at the callaway training center. at first, i was happy with the result, but in the end, I actually hit my irons worse. Not sure exactly why.

Fast forward. I just bought new Titleist blades with s-300 DG shafts. I'm hitting these amazingly straight and longer. I'm sure fitting definitely helps pros, but i'm also sure they get fit by serious professionals. If you go to a local shop to get fit, then I wouldn't recommend it. If you can afford spending serious dough to get a professional fitter to do it, then I'd say its worth it.

Yes, I highly recommend getting fitted. I did so, last October and it was the best $250 I've spent. Got fitted for Driver, Irons, Wedges and Putter. My only regret was not doing this when I started playing golf. I could have save myself $1000 and lots of frustration.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Yes, I highly recommend getting fitted. I did so, last October and it was the best $250 I've spent. Got fitted for Driver, Irons, Wedges and Putter.

was that just for observation and fitting specs?

or did that include all the work and materials?

G10 Draw 10.5* ProLaunch Red
906 F2 15*
G10 Hybrid 21* & 24*
G10 5-PW Black Dot, +1/2", Orange Grips
Vokey 52* & 58* Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (Coming Soon) Pro-V1x E6Ping Latitude Bag (Coming Soon)

I would get fitted. I did and do not regret it at all. The fitting on my clubs was free as long at I bought the clubs there. When I was fitted and saw I needed a custom order, it was well worth getting fitted to them.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!