IGNORED

How to get the ball to go higher in the air?

Note: This thread is 5744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can hit my golf balls pretty far... but my problem is I am low to mid trajectory... I would like to learn to hit them high in the air.
Driver Taylormade r9 supertri *9.5
Hybrid Taylormade rescue burner 19 degree
Irons 2008 taylormade TP
Wedges Taylormade rac TP 52, 56, 60
Putter Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 Studio StyleBall Bridgestone e6

change the shaft

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

change the shaft

I've found that if you have a shallow angle, sweeping type swing you won't generate much spin and no matter what shaft you use, you still will have the mid/low trajectory.

But if you do change the shaft make sure you get a low kick-point shaft probably in reg. flex, or go to a higher lofted driver like an 11* or 12*. Trouble is that you will then lose a lot of yardage. A mid/low trajectory isn't bad, that's what I hit, the ball will run out on firm fairways. Where you get in trouble is the lush soft fairways which give no run out.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I can hit my golf balls pretty far... but my problem is I am low to mid trajectory... I would like to learn to hit them high in the air.

Equipment wise: You could change your golf balls that generate more spin. Or change shafts has low kick point (high trajectory) characteristic.

Swing wise: Your head needs to be behind the ball at and after impact. Get the feeling that you're releasing the club forward and high up after you hit down on the ball. You would see that your left hip (assuming you're RH) is tilted at a significant angle up just like you'd see on every tour pro's swing after impact. Not following me? Notice the two pictures in the middle on the bottom. Hope this helps.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Hit the ball pure and the club does all the work, high and far. I believe the proper swing and solid contact will give you a nice high ball flight.

I have notice when I am hitting my wedges solid they go nice and high. I can see the difference with off center wedge shots and once I get into a groove the ball flight is definitely higher.

just my 2 cents worth.

The equipment approach is lower kick point on your shafts creates a higher ball flight.

The last time I played on the 18th hole I change my backswing too a lower and down the line plane and the ball when high and far effortlessly. My second shot was a 3 wood that also travel high and far. I was only 20 yards from the green on a 500 yard par 5.

I have not hit balls since and I can't wait to go out and continue the same backswing and see what the result will be for 18 holes.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

These suggestions have mostly been about swing. But the ball you play can also affect the trajectory of the gofl ball. The ball at my local range are top flite range balls. These go significantly lower than the One Platinum ball that I play. The One Platinum spins the most of any ball on the market. If you use any top of the line ball (Prov1x, Prov1, Callaway HX Tour, Nike One Black or Platinum) and you still hit it low, then I would guess that it it your swing.

Golf is somewhat a game of opposites....

Swing down on the ball to make it go up, swing left to make the ball go right, swing right to make the ball go left.

If you are having problems getting the ball in the air, then chances are you are contacting the ball as your club is on it's way up - unless it's a driver, with irons you should be hitting the ball with a decending angle. Don't try and help the ball up in the air, this is only going to make you hit the ball even thinner and make it harder to get the ball up.

Have you thought about putting impact tape on your clubs to see where on the club face you are making contact with the ball. Sometimes a few grooves below the center makes a big difference with the ball flight. You can also try using regular masking tape.

If you are making solid contact then its not your swing but an equipment issue.

Even most pros don't always make solid contact with their golf swings.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

If you are making solid contact then its not your swing but an equipment issue.

The OP's signature says he is a 36 handicap. I think we can assume he does not have consistent ball contact.

Should a 36-handicapper be thinking about changing balls or shafts? My opinion, as a fellow 36-handicapper, is that he would not be able to tell the difference in either of these things. He needs (as do I) to work on solid, consistent contact. Half swings, three-quarter swings, over and over (and over) again, until it becomes ingrained muscle memory.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

The OP's signature says he is a 36 handicap. I think we can assume he does not have consistent ball contact.

Although I do agree with you what alot of higher handicaps are "over geared" but it never hurts to have equipment that is right for you.

Also, just be carefull of what you ingrain....practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Repeating a flawed swing or a flawed piece of a swing can burn in some bad habits that could be tough to break.

Note: This thread is 5744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!