IGNORED

Drills to make swing inside out

Note: This thread is 3205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

BTW, surely a minimalist or uncomplicated view of the flight laws can't be a bad thing.

Agree.

Ball starts where the face is pointed and curves away from the path.

IMO we should refer to face angles relative to path, then we wouldn't have to do any sums It behooves this board to explain the mechanics of the inside out swing with the simplist explanations.

We have plenty of threads and videos on HOW to do it.

But saying something like, "to hit a draw the face has to be closed to the path" only tells part of the story. The emphasis with that explanation is on face, not path. Slicers typically have a path problem, not a face problem. Focusing on "closing the face" is a problem because it can lead to players sending the path and face more left.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree.

Ball starts where the face is pointed and curves away from the path.

Exactly, no mention of target.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

Slicers typically have a path problem, not a face problem. Focusing on "closing the face" is a problem because it can lead to players sending the path and face more left.

Yes but most slicers have no idea what a closed face feels like. The last thing they want to do with an outside in path is close the face.

Yes but most slicers have no idea what a closed face feels like. The last thing they want to do with an outside in path is close the face.

I'd say most slicers have no idea what it feels like to swing outward. You can't "feel" the face closed to the path. If I told a golfer to close the face on the downswing, they are going to roll the toe over and point the face more left.

You also have to be aware of the target because you have to know where to point the face.

Mike McLoughlin

I say, 'toe ma toe' and you say, 'toe may toe'.

If I told a golfer to close the face on the downswing, they are going to roll the toe over and point the face more left.

Yeah, in your dreams. They have not got an inclin. what a closed face feels like.

You also have to be aware of the target because you have to know where to point the face.

I would like to think that the path has been chosen relative to the target and I still maintain that face angles are easier to apply to the path.

Am I the only golfer on this board who lines face to path?

Like Mike said, most slicers don't know what an inside out path feels like.

Here's something I found. This pro coaches LPGA player Na-yeon Choi.

Most of us don't have a spot in the driving range like this, but maybe you can find a spot somewhere you can maybe hit whiffle balls to get a feel for the swing path? Who knows? It might help.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• Administrator
BTW, surely a minimalist or uncomplicated view of the flight laws can't be a bad thing.

As @mvmac said, "Ball starts where the face is pointing and curves away from the path." That's simple.

That doesn't change the fact that knowing whether someone hits a pull-draw or a push-draw is not beneficial and provides more useful information.

You just want to know that they hit a draw. That's less informative, and it limits and restricts conversation, information, exchange of ideas, etc.

IMO we should refer to face angles relative to path, then we wouldn't have to do any sums. It's also easier to align and feel face angles relative to path than to target.

No thanks. You can easily do that math, but I prefer it relative to the target because a) that's how machines measure them, b) it's ultimately what we care about (the target), and c) it's easy enough to do the math to figure out "face to path" relationships.

It's also easier to align and feel face angles relative to path than to target.

No it isn't. It's virtually impossible to feel the face angle relative to the path at the moment of impact. The clubhead's moving 100 MPH or whatever, and rotating around the shaft at thousands of RPM, etc.

It would also help stop the confusion about hitting outer quadrants with open club faces.

Not possible if "open" means relative to the target. We've already covered this.

I'm sure your brother in law and Trevino and co would feel awkward aiming right of target no matter what.

No, my brother-in-law doesn't feel awkward. He just hits slices because he tries to "pull" the ball back to the left with his path.

Am I the only golfer on this board who lines face to path?

You're the only one who seems to think your path is always the same as your body alignment… and that there are only three ball flights and that a "pull-draw" is the same as a "push-draw" - or at least similar enough to warrant just calling both a "draw."

Look, stick around, but you seem to be getting hung up in reading ONE thread. There are thousands here. @mvmac and I have explained this stuff a few hundred times or more. If we're being brief here, it's partly because of that and partly because it's off topic.

LOTS of threads here with great information.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, in your dreams. They have not got an inclin. what a closed face feels like.

Slicers START THE BALL LEFT of the target, therefore their face is pointed LEFT AT IMPACT.

Mike McLoughlin

Look, stick around, but you seem to be getting hung up in reading ONE thread. There are thousands here. @mvmac and I have explained this stuff a few hundred times or more. If we're being brief here, it's partly because of that and partly because it's off topic.

LOTS of threads here with great information.

OK I've got the point. I'll be sticking around and looking for other threads. I just found this one quite interesting.

Note: This thread is 3205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!