IGNORED

Am I crazy for wanting to play blades?

Note: This thread is 5775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a new golfer still working very hard on grooving a good swing and good ball striking. I play golf almost every day on the course or at least practice on the range.

I am seriously considering picking up a set of used Mizuno blades (MP-33s or MP-37s). A 3-PW set in good condition can be bought for $200-350. I have an idea that I could use a set of forged blades to help me build a repeatable swing and ball striking due to their very unforgiving nature. I probably would not play them on the course until I felt very confident, or for practice gaming.

I have a hard time believing that you have to be good in the first place to play blades, when blades are the only clubs that will give you immediate feedback on your swing... anyone else gone this route? Did you regret it or did it make you a better ball striker?

You will get more feedback, but you will struggle at the beginning. Why not go with a nice forgiving set until you get your handicap down and then make the switch?

About two years ago, I was playing TA5's (gunmetal) , was probably playing to around a 12, but suddenly got this urge to play blades. I was a poor ballstriker, just a swinger, at the time, and I thought having something less forgiving would make me tone my swing down, concentrate more on the actual strike. I picked up a set of TA1's (first chrome, then found gunmetal) and haven't looked back since. I have absolutely become a better ball-striker and my index is down. As far as feedback, there's only one thing you have to worry about, and that is - you will absolutely know when you did or didn't hit the sweet spot. On a cold day, trust me, it's motivation to hit it pure!

EDIT: IMO, game improvement irons are fine when you just start, and/or you really have a faulty swing. But, when you feel you're getting better, and are willing to invest time in this game, gave improvement irons let you continue to get away with faults.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I did the same thing you are considering doing. I played the following clubs before playing my mp33s:

Ping Becu Eye 2
Mizuno Comp EZ
Mizuno Mp 30
Mizuno MP33 Blades currently playing
The mp33 has a larger sweet spot than the mp37. The mp 33 are actually easy to hit and for $200 - $300 you have nothing to lose. I have been using my clubs for about 1 1/2 years now and have not looked back.

make sure the shaft flex is what you should be using. I have Dynamic Gold in regular flex and the shaft felt better than the rifle shaft 5.5 on my MP 30 irons.

If possible hit a used set on the driving range or better yet play a round with them on the course.

good luck and happy golfing.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

make sure the shaft flex is what you should be using. I have Dynamic Gold in regular flex and the shaft felt better than the rifle shaft 5.5 on my MP 30 irons.

If you are getting a set to practice with make sure you get the same shaft as what your other set is or weaker.

I played the DG s300 forever. But in my MP33 I was fit for dg sl r400 and they are smooth. I find blades play better with a weaker shaft and not swinging so hard.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

Trevor Immelman - Masters winner - Irons: Nike CCI Cast (GI)
Rocco Mediate - Runner up at the US Open - Irons: Callaway X-20 (GI)

Are you crazy for wanting to play blades? No. Most players on the tour started playing with blades. But you're in an era where forgiveness and workability can now be one of the same (AP2's). Do whatever makes you happy. Just remember, a player that won the Masters did it with Game Improvement Irons including a 45* PW, and another almost won with one of the most forgiving irons out there.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

The champion at the City Golf Tournament at San Francisco this year, 2008 won with Taylor Made r7 tp irons that are cavity back.

My golf buddy who is a 3 handicap uses Callaway cavity back irons and he shot even par the last time we played, I shot 4 over and he beat me at our weekly match play game, including the 18th hole for double or nothing.

If you are thinking about cavity vs blades you want blades, so go for them and enjoy yourself regardless of what academically should be the right clubs you should be using.

I know that I will eventually buy another set of irons that are cavity back but for now I am enjoying my mp33 blades. I also feel that these clubs are helping mine golf swing in the long run.

just my 2 cents.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

go with what you want b/c if you don't get what you want, you'll have that regret feeling. And besides, you'll groove your swing to the new set.
I went from HUGE A** X16's last season..my 1st season when I was struggling to break 100's. Then I broke 90 a few times...went out and got fitted for my clubs...and now my index trend is 9.6...that's not even a full 18 months after I really started.

I initially wanted to go with the MP37's but the dude at golfsmith talked me out of it...and not, I really want them & will probably pick them up next year.

But the only draw back is, the 3 &4 irons are a hell of a lot harder to pure and your hands DO HURT on a colder day. There's still times when I hit the ball more on the toe and watch out... when it's 50 degrees outside, I drop the club b/c it stings a little bit. BUT I think after the frustration of the 1st 2 weeks with the new clubs, your game will compliment the clubs and the clubs will compliment you... if not, then shoot, send me the clubs and I'll give you some $ for them bad boys...
good luck with your decision...
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

If you want to play blades, go for it. The main problem I see you running into is getting frustrated with blades and giving up on the game.
I personally love the way blades look, but I know my swing isnt anywhere near being good enough for blades.
If you really want blades, I say go for it. However, I would definetly keep a set of cavityback clubs for days when you swing just isnt right and for when you play on the course.
If nothing else, the cavitybacks will help you to regain your confidence on days when your swing isnt spot-on and you feel like its hopeless and you are never going to be able to hit blades with any consistency.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Try em out first if you can, they are much different. Will you learn to hit your irons better? Who knows.... will you receive feedback on you bad shots? Um....YES DEFINITELY. Go for it, what do you have to lose? If you don't like them, go back to cavity backs.

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

Like others have said, if you want them, get them.

The feeling of hitting a blade pure is equivalent to hitting a home run with a wooden baseball bat.

I had my Hogan Apex's stolen last year, and played Mizunos before that. The Clevelands I play now are good sticks, but there is nothing that feels or looks as good as a blade. I am probably going to pick up the MP 67s sometime soon.

There will be a major change in forgiveness of course, but it sounds like you put in the time it takes to get better, so you will be fine. They will force you to slow down and swing within yourself, thats for sure.

In my bag

Driver 905R 9.5 with Aldila
3-wood G10 15 degree
Hybrid G10 18 degreeIrons MP 32Wedges 52 & 56 & 60 degreePutter SC SS Newport 1.5Ball

Go ahead and make the switch. As long as you are committed to working on your swing, you should be fine.

I made the switch from a GI iron to the blades. The adjustment period was due to the size of the club. It was a decision I don't regret and hopefully, you won't, either.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 5775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!