IGNORED

Project X Flighted vs Rifle Flighted

Note: This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I ordered new wedges and they came in today. I ordered the Project X Flighted shaft but there was a screw up somewhere and I received the Rifle Flighted shaft. (I was only charged for the Rifle Flighted) My question, is the Project X shaft worth the up charge? I am not sure if I should just keep these clubs and save the money or if I should go with the upgrade. My Irons are all Project X. Any input would be welcomed!
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

Thats a good question... if it were your irons I'd say yes in a heartbeat but with wedges I'm not entirely sure. If you were fitted with the project X or have had experience using that shaft in wedges than have them make the change. You could always take it out and see how they react under real course conditions.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I had the Rifles in the irons I just replaced yesterday, and now have the Project X in my new ones. I have been wanting to replace the Rifles in my old irons back to the S300s because I felt I had given up some distance. I only have one day of experience with the Project X but, I feel like the distance I lost with the regular Rifles I have regained with the Project X.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I talked to the rep that sold me the club and he called his Callaway rep. The only difference between the two shafts is that the Project X has a higher kick point which results in a lower trajectory. (I guess that is why Royal Precision came out with a new Project X high launch irons option) That means that with the Rifle Flighted shaft my wedges currently have, the ball will have a higher trajectory. I figure that having a slightly higher trajectory with wedges is a good thing so I am not going to return the club.

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

...I feel like the distance I lost with the regular Rifles I have regained with the Project X.

Considering what I have been told about the trajectory, I wounder if you noticed that the lost distance was in the roll of the ball. I mean, if you lost distance with the Rifle shaft, maybe it was because you were hitting the ball higher and were not getting as much roll.

I guess I am just trying to verify what I have been told by my rep but it all seems to make sense.

PutterKarsten Anser2

did you not consider Rifle spinner shafts... just curious?

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Considering what I have been told about the trajectory, I wounder if you noticed that the lost distance was in the roll of the ball. I mean, if you lost distance with the Rifle shaft, maybe it was because you were hitting the ball higher and were not getting as much roll.

I did hit the ball high with the Rifle. However, I was hitting some launchers yesterday the the PX. Time will tell. Maybe it's just a mental thing since I was wanting a switch for some time?

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I hadn't even heard of the spinner shaft before you mentioned it. I wish I had because I would have liked to try them.

PutterKarsten Anser2

...Maybe it's just a mental thing since I was wanting a switch for some time?

What ever works!

PutterKarsten Anser2

For some reason, they do not offer this option on the Callaway website.

PutterKarsten Anser2

they are cheap... I would have ordered the wedges with a stock shaft and had them installed myself

spinners run like 18 bucks a shaft and they are a solid shaft, all of my friends have them but I've yet to make the plunge

Daniel Duarte

let us know how the wedges turn out...

could you play them and then return them to be reshafted?? or is it a one time chance to have the manufacturer change them

Daniel Duarte

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I have played with these wedges for a couple of weeks now and, to my surprise, it has been a big adjustment. There are many reasons for this but in regards to the shafts, I believe that the ball flight with these clubs is actually lower than with my old wedges. This is very surprising to me as my sand wedge is now a 58* as opposed to my old SW witch was a 56*.

I notice the lower ball flight more on the shorter distances than the longer ones. I think this is especially strange since I have to swing harder do to the fact that the ball spins so much more with the MD grooves. The ball now either checks much quicker than with my old wedges, or it will even spin back a little.

PutterKarsten Anser2

Note: This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!