IGNORED

"Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" (and his other mental game books) by Bob Rotella

iacas
Note: This thread is 2039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Discuss "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Bob Rotella here (along with any of his other mental game books).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I haven't read the above mentioned, but his other book Golf is a Game of Confidence is what I'm reading now. I've always concidered myself a fairly confident golfer so I never really bothered with this one, but found it laying around the golf shop one day, and started reading. It's all pretty basic theory, but sometimes the things that are so basic are the easiest overlooked. I have many sentences, phrases, paragraphs and pages highlighted in this book.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

"Putting Out of Your Mind" is a really good book. It taught me that I was concentrating on everything but actually making the putt.

Putting is an attitude. Whatever you believe, there's a good chance you're going to accomplish, both good and bad. He teaches that your attitude should always be positive, focusing solely on the good and concentrate on having a positive self-image. Teach yourself to focus on those three or four great putts that you have made.

The two chapters that helped me the most were "Gaining Control by Giving up Control" and "How Good Putters Think."

The best part is that you can apply this theory to every part of your game.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I didn't realize he has a putting book too. I'll have to check that one out next. Thanks.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

It takes a lot of revision to ingrain the thought process. The book is also available on Audible ( www.audible.com ) if you want to take it to your car and listen to it every day.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

"Golf is not and game of perfect" is a fantastic book. I read it about one month ago and and it has really opened my eyes to a different approach to the game. I would recommend it for anyone. Quick, easy read too.

I have listened to four of his audio books (Golf is Not a Game of Perfect, Golf is a Game of Confidence, Putting out of Your Mind, The Golf of Your dreams). I bought them a set and love them. I've probably listened to all of them at least four times.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

I have "Golf is a game of confidence" and I am about half way done, and I have to say, it has helped my game tremendously. My mental game was the exact opposite of what it should have been, and nearly immediately strokes were shaved off of my game. I haven't been playing often and even when my swing is off, with the attitide formed from this book, I can still shoot a good round, which was not possible before I read this book. I highly recommend this book to any level golfer, but especially those who have high handicaps.
In my bag:
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5 re*ax
3 Wood:R5 XL
Irons:FP Irons 5-GW
Hybrids:Baffler DWS 3,4 Wedges:588 RTG DSG 56º, 60ºPutter:White Hot XG #9 34"Grips: Lamkin Crossline CordsBall: Pro V1x

Really enjoyed Putting Out of Your Mind. Thought it had a good mental approach to putting.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Im gunna start read "perfect" because my dad wants me to improve my mental game because mistakes that cause mental break downs are my worst enemy.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

yup.. me too. I'm reading Rotella's "A Golfers Mind"

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

I read this book first and the next round I played I shot my lowest round ever. Since then I have bought the whole set of audiobooks to have on my iPod. I love his advice, it's very simple and clear. There's nothing he tells you that you have to interpret, it's all very sensible, logical advice. There are two things I have really improved on since reading these books - routine for short game and putting. I have basically built my routines based on what he says and have experienced big improvements in this area. I have also been told by a few friends that I appear a much more confident putter than previously and thats all done to his advice.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

I have listened to four of his audio books (Golf is Not a Game of Perfect, Golf is a Game of Confidence, Putting out of Your Mind, The Golf of Your dreams). I bought them a set and love them. I've probably listened to all of them at least four times.

I'm re-reading the Rotella books, but I'm in the car a lot more now than I used to be, due to summer job. How are the audiobooks? I've been turned off from (non-golf) audiobooks for a while, but if Rotella's books translate well to the CD player, I may well be up for buying them and listening to that instead of the radio.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

yup.. me too. I'm reading Rotella's "A Golfers Mind"

Is that the newest Rotella book?

I've read Not a Game of Perfect, Golf of your Dreams, Confidence and Putting ones. Was wondering if there was any more...?

Driver -> Ping G10, ProLaunch Red S
3 Wood -> Ping G10, ProLaunch Red S
Hybrid -> Ping G10, ProLaunch Red S

Irons -> Taylor Made Tour Burner, Project X 6.0 + 1/2"54 -> Callaway Rusty60 -> Taylor Made RACPutter -> Odyssey Tour #

• 2 weeks later...
I was just at Amazon looking for " Putting out of Your Mind " but only see it in hardcover? Am I trippin?

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Trippin?

Putting out of your mind is a must read. Very easy read, I read it in 2 days. The next day my putting and my life improved dramatically. Putting is now my strength, where before it was my weakness. Simple stuff really. Just think about what really matters and don't worry about what you can't control. I even gave the book to my teaching pro and he came back to me 2 weeks later all wide-eyed saying he has never putted better in his life. I thought it was ironic that a 13hcp helped a teaching pro get his groove back. And I didn't charge him $80 an hour either.

However, if you want to keep beating your buddies, don't tell them about the book.

Also, I burned a copy of all the little bullets at the end of each chapter and keep them in my bag. When things go a little bad during the round, I whip it out and read over them. Helps a bunch.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

I'm re-reading the Rotella books, but I'm in the car a lot more now than I used to be, due to summer job. How are the audiobooks? I've been turned off from (non-golf) audiobooks for a while, but if Rotella's books translate well to the CD player, I may well be up for buying them and listening to that instead of the radio.

I think they're fine. They're actually pretty short so you can listen to one on the way to work or whatever

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

Note: This thread is 2039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!