IGNORED

"Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" (and his other mental game books) by Bob Rotella

iacas
Note: This thread is 2039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just went on Ebay and picked up his latest book,

Don't bother with the 15th club...I can't make it through...stick with the original...great read.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 2 weeks later...

I have read Golf is Not a Game of Perfect , Golf is a Game of Confidence , and Your 15th Club ). I read these books at least once a year especially in the winter when things are slow.  I highly recommend Golf is a Game of Confidence, great book.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it's OK

I got the audiobook off iTunes because why not just download and listen instead of going through the excrutiating pain of reading a book! Funny story, I fell asleep listening to it and had a dream about getting my head shaved. I was in my bathroom taking a razor to the dome. Took forever, but I got the job done. Now I kind of want to get my head shaved.

Back to the uh, book. Yeah, it's OK. It's helpful and I'm going to focus on focusing more and working on my routine. I already had both, but now I'll try harder. I think it's something you'll take and integrate but your appreciation of it will diminish as time goes on..

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does any one posses the original audio tape set by Rotella and Coop titled Golf Out of Your Mind. These are excellent and in a recent move I lost my copies. Looking to replace them. They are from the 80's. I even called Rotella and his wife did not have a replacement.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

He's correct.  Go out with no expectations.  When I have my best rounds it's after I haven't played in a bit and don't expect to be worth a damn.

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

• 8 months later...
Originally Posted by Ghetto P

He's correct.  Go out with no expectations.  When I have my best rounds it's after I haven't played in a bit and don't expect to be worth a damn.

Old thread, I know.  But I don't want that last thread to be anyone's takeaway from Rotella's books.  His theme is NOT, repeat not: 'play like you don't think your game is worth a damn.'  It's about playing with confidence and with the positive expectations of making shots.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

• 3 months later...

I keep this book in my locker. I read it every year before the golf season, and I read excerpts that will help me with my confidence before big tournaments. Target focus is always something that I need reminding about. I see bunkers off the tee in my sleep.

I am definitely a better putter after reading Rotella's books.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
Hello Golfers, I have read his books and found some interesting concepts of the game. He has help me with my golf game. I recommended a lot! He has help Big easy (Ernie Els) a lot on his mental game and must on his bad temper! Yes Ernie was a angry player! Now he looks so center and nice person! Good golfing everyone!:-\

Yep his books are golf life changers.  Everyone should read them and really soak in his message and think about how it specifically applies to you and your game.  Thanks Rotella!

• 7 months later...
Just read through putting out of your mind again. I have a real habit on longer putts of being too careful put me within 10 ft and I go for it so felt I should read it again. I noticed that my game from putting through to driving has a Westwood style freeze over the ball. I picked up on the look at the target, at the ball, and then roll it. Need a similar trigger for my full swing. Enjoyed reading it so much again that I have ordered Golf is a game not perfect so I will add my thoughts when I read it.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Also noticed that its been 5 years since I bought the book and read it and its obvious by my previous comments that some things in my game have not changed so I didn't obviously apply everything I read. Its a shame because I held myself back for too long. All that advice about wedges and every putt being a green light I just ignored. Also someone mentioned Tim Gallwey I also have Inner game of golf and it is excellent too.

Just read Golf is a game not perfect and loved it. It really resonated with me. A couple of things that stood out. The way I practice mostly is the mechanical and that may be some of the mentality that I take to the course. I like the thought of the trusting mentality and devoting hitting balls at the range just to that as I can train at home. Also course management jumped off the page at me. The stories of how pros went about their approach were very insightful particularly the section on Amen Corner at Augusta. The story of Gary Player saying everyday of the tournament that he was going to hit it at a spot on the green no matter where the pin was going and he ended up being best on that hole over 4 days. The story of Tommy Armour overhearing the bet of an amateur betting he could break 90 and then caddying the player on the shots he should take and he shot 79 the round of his life. It made me think about planning more and going even more conservative than I do now. I will take a hybrid and a 3 wood off the tee but on some long par 4's and 5's that I could take a 5 iron. This book also taught me that I have to regain my thoughts quickly after a bad shot, I don't get angry but I do lose confidence and end up hitting another and wind up with a 7 when I could do no worse than a 6. I probably could shave 3-4 strokes a round just with that alone. Its little adjustments here and there really in my mental approach. A great read and something to read periodically and I found myself feeling a little sad reading about Seve Ballesteros who lost himself a bit trying to be someone he wasn't and the danger of wanting perfection in his technique. Funny enough reminded me if Lee Westwood who has never been been noted for having the greatest short game but is very accurate ballstriker maybe there's something in that. Highly recommend anyone to read it and read it regularly. As Roy"TinCup" Macavoy once said perfection is unattainable, the golfing gods won't allow that.

I was talking to a guy the other day about his round and he told me that he parred 5 holes in a row and then the real "him" showed up. I immediately thought of the section that talks about being on a roll. It seems that my friend could not believe that his success was his potential and he was waiting for the wheels to fall off. He rose, or I should say lowered himself to his own thinking.

I was playing the other day and on the 17th hole told myself that even by finishing with 2 doubles I could still have a decent score. After doubling the 17th I realized that I was really dooming myself. I was able to quiet my mind and think positively about the 18th hole. I picked out my targets and executed. I accepted the missed green and hit a great chip to 2 feet to save par and post a 79 on a really tough track (73.2/134) and felt that I took back my game. I know that it sounds a little corny, but negative thinking works more often than not. Keeping a positive outlook allows you to play your best.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• 1 month later...

Putting Out of Your Mind is a good read.  Nothing revolutionary that I didn't know before.  He just sums up confidence, sticking to your line, etc with anecdotes from his students.  It would be good for someone who thinks they're not a good putter.  But for me, I have never three putted and have never missed a putt from inside 5'.

• 1 year later...
I played on Friday with a friend who reminded me of -- literally, brought up in conversation -- this book. So I took it off my bookshelf and thumbed through it a bit; it's probably been a while. There's some advice in it that I know is wrong -- he advises that a majority of practice time should be devoted to the short game. No thanks, I know better, although in his defense, he does define it as being inside 120 yards, and there are plenty of 60-120 yard shots that use full swing mechanics, so maybe. And then there's some that I had gotten away from and need to be reminded of, like the focusing on a specific target before a shot. For those who have read it recently: does it still hold up? Is it largely good advice?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

While you are at it, check out his new book How Champions Think. There is good stuff in there

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Note: This thread is 2039 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!