IGNORED

"How to Play Your Best Golf All the Time" by Tommy Armour

iacas
Note: This thread is 3983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Discuss "How to Play Your Best Golf All the Time" by Tommy Armour here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read this book maybe 30 years ago. The one thing that I remember is that Tommy advocated using a closed stance with the woods and, I think, the longest irons. Since then, I have used a closed stance with the woods and that has been a great help. It makes it much easier to execute the inside-out swing that I favor. The longer the club, the more difficult it is to swing inside-out from a square stance.

I agree with 3JACK - some of the swing mechanics he promotes are dated [not surprising, the book is over 50 years old!] but the course management advice and overall philosophy are superb.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

• 3 weeks later...

I read this book as a kid--teenager, I think--which is longer ago than I care to admit.

The swing advice has been pre-empted as theories and especially equipment have changed over the decades.

Other things are perfectly relevant today, being based on human nature. A good deal of what he says regarding course management is really ego management; or as Dirty Harry famously noted, "A man has got to know his limitations."

Tin Cup wouldn't have given away the US Open had he read (and understood) Armour's book.

• 1 year later...
One of the great points of this book is the section where he discusses set make-up and equipment.

I have the 1972 edition, so page numbers might not tally but here goes:

Page 51:
"One thing I always advise is to use a club with a shaft a little bit whippier than you might want it to be. The big idea is to have the club working for you, instead of against you"

Page 50:
"I am definitely of the opinion that there is bound to be growing and well-warranted popularity of 5-, 6- and 7-woods among the vast majority of golfers"

Plenty of other bits stand out. Yes, some of the instruction is a bit dated, but his general overview of how to make the most fo what you've got is still 100% relevant.

Great book and one which has stood the test of time well in my opinion.

• 5 months later...
I just came across a copy of this book today, hopefully it's okay to resurect old threads.

After a quick skim of the book I think it will help me refresh my course management skills and to play to my strengths during a round.

There is also one comment on swing mechanics where he promotes a pause at the top of the backswing (if I read it right). I'll have to give that some more thought but right now I'll apply it paraphrased as 'don't rush the transition and get ahead of myself'.

I couldn't beat the price so if all it does is to give me some check points to keep in mind while out on a course then I'll be happy with the book.

(And now I'll go read the opening stickie for this section which I should have read before posting this. )

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

• 3 months later...
To date, this is my absolute favorite golf book and had the most dramatic effect on my game when I was a beginner. Of course I have since moved on in my swing but, to this day, I can still go back and look at the drawings and read the high points and smile! He never tells you what NOT to do....just do this and you will be fine. Outdated? Sure. Valuable for any golfer trying to learn the game or get a sound foundation for a swing...I say absolutely.

I have a very old copy a friend and fellow Tommy fan found for me. We think it is from the early 60's...very cool.

Check out my handle on this forum. My tribute to old TA.

In the bag:

Cleveland 3-PW Irons CG16, Cleveland CG15 gap, Cleveland 56 SW, TaylorMade Burner 2.0 driver, Nike SQ 3W, TaylorMade r7 Rescue, Scotty, Small Bottle of Crown!

• 2 years later...
I read this book in the late 60's-early 70s as high school golf team member. Recently bought it at B&N.; Favorite chapters: what can be your best golf, taking you to the lesson tee, assembling your game in good order. These chapters will help you play smart

• 4 weeks later...
Really, when we finish reading this book can really improve his powers many of you, I [URL=http://www.rctophobby.com/]walkera[/URL] am looking forward to ah, I am a beginner, I love this sport because coordination it can train our attention and body, seems to be a very strong technical movement ah, any exercise with tips aren't you

Note: This thread is 3983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!