IGNORED

Stuck on new iron options

Note: This thread is 5741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I swung some new technology irons for the first time yesterday, and I'm not sure what to do.

I've been playing Taylor Made Burner Tour Irons (Mark O'Meara circa 1998) for the past 10 years, and they've served me pretty well. They're not a proper blade, but they are darn close to a blade, and when you hit it right, they reward you.

Over the 4th weekend, I swung a friends new X-18 irons (bought on closeout) and got easily a club of extra distance. So that got me thinking maybe it's time to look at the new stuff.

Here's what I swung in order of liked to disliked:
Taylor Made RAC MB TP (not smoke)
Mizuno MP-67
Mizuno MP-57
Titleist AP-1
Taylor Made R7 TP
Callaway Tour Forged
Callaway X-20 Tour
Callaway X-20
TaylorMade R7
Wilson Ci-7
TM Burner Tour

I've heard a ton of brilliant things about the Mizunos, and not really heard ANYTHING about the Taylor Made MB TPs. I have no idea if these clubs are as good as my impressions at the shop, and I don't want to make the wrong decision. Additionally, I wonder if a blade is too much for me (ball striking is not why my Handicap is high), and if I should go with something like the R7 TP or the MP-57 to get the new cavity back technology.

Opinions? Does anyone have the MP TPs that can share some insight?

Ken
http://labs.live.com/photosynth

Driver: R7 425 9.5 ProLaunch Blue R65
3W: Raylor Burner RegIrons: R7 TP 3-PW ProjectX 6.0GW: 52/8 Vokey Oil CanSW: 56/14 Vokey Spin Milled Oil CanPutter: 330 PutterBag: Grom

go with the 1st. b/c it's however you felt about the club. I personally would go with the MP67's from that list....but I wouldn't want to sway you. if you play enough..you'll eventually be able to pure every iron in the bag...
don't get it twisted though... the test clubs are normally 6 or 7 iron.
the 3 & 4 iron for those mp67's are TOUGH to hit
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Go to the golf shop and demo a 6 or 7 iron from all the sets you want. Take them to the range and see what ones you like the best. There is no harm in demoing the clubs. Off of the list that you have there is the X-20 Tours. But there may be others out there that you might like. I also suggest the 695cb and AP2 by Titleist, the MP-60 by Mizuno, the J-33 forged by Bridgestone, and the X-forged by callaway. Good Luck.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

I absolutely love my MP-57 irons. They are a small slice of heaven when you hit the sweet spot, but they won't kill you if you toe it a bit. They are a little punishing as you will lose some distance on mis-hits. I was hanging between these and the MP-32. I went with the MP-57 because of the little extra bit of forgiveness. They are by no means a game improvement club and you will get the needed feedback from them to help improve your game. I highly recommend these clubs.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

I see you tried the AP1 but not AP2s. But tried the players lines of everything else. I would give the AP2s a try if you havent already. You cant really go wrong with any big name players club, it really comes down to preference in the end. MIzzy vs Titleist can be debated forever you know?

I love my AP2s, I like them more than the MP-57/67 clubs.

Note: This thread is 5741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!