IGNORED

Ireland Trip - Septmber

Note: This thread is 5729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm playing a round at Ballybunion and Lahinch and am looking to see if anyone on here has ever traveled to Ireland to play golf. I'm looking to play a few more rounds at some courses that are much more affordable...

I would like to avoid any more tee times that are around 200 euros (ive never spent so much on two rounds in my life)

I'm staying in Kerry, Clare, and Limerick with family

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Kilkee is between Ballybunion and Lahinch has great views and is very inexpensive. Also if you play the Cashen on the same day as the Old at Ballybunion, you pay a significant discount.

If you play both the New Course (Cashen) and the Old Course on the same day, you may be a seriously beat up man. If the wind is up and/or it is raining, both distinct possibilties, it is a chore to get through 18 on either,let alone 36.
PM me and I can give you my number (I'm in Boston, too), if you want more info.
DEAC

I'm there for 16 days so if I were to get the combo package which I believe is 250 euro I'd definitely be making tee times on different days... dude, its expensive over there

bally - 180
lahinch - 165

I have citizenship and am trying to see if I can get a cheaper rate but I dont want to wait and take the chance of not getting on the course

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Yes, it is pretty expensive. The 250 combo is definitely the way to go if they'll let you play on seperate days. With the 115 you save, you could buy a shirt...and maybe a sleeve of balls.
Swing hard in case you hit it.
DEAC

Adare Manor, where the Irish Open has been the last couple of years, is a great spot. I'd highly recommend it. It's not far from Limerick.

Beware that there's an old course beside it that's also called Adare Manor Golf Club - it's about 100 years old (literally) - quaint but not as nice as the new course.

Driver -> Ping G10, ProLaunch Red S
3 Wood -> Ping G10, ProLaunch Red S
Hybrid -> Ping G10, ProLaunch Red S

Irons -> Taylor Made Tour Burner, Project X 6.0 + 1/2"54 -> Callaway Rusty60 -> Taylor Made RACPutter -> Odyssey Tour #

my younger brother (17 years old, no handicap card which is strange) has been in Ireland with my family for the past two and half months and he's pissing me off!

He can barely break a 100 at my local course

list so far:

Ballybunion
Lahinch
Waterville
Royal County Down
St. Andrews

what the hell did I do wrong, my parents must hate me

Daniel Duarte

• 2 weeks later...
I would recommend Dooks GC in Glenbeigh, Co. Kerry, one of Irelands oldest clubs, really good links experience and not too expensive. As mentioned in another post Adare is great but not a typical Irish course, more American in design, also it's a bit on the expensive side.
There are lots of really good parkland courses that have open days during the week, to find them visit www.gui.ie and select munster ( the region you will be staying in), this will give you all the info you need on open days, courses etc.

Have fun.

Regards,
Gerry.

You should go back to Tedesco and ask Darby if he remembers you and ask him to set you up at Old Head.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

I was planning on doing an Ireland trip next summer for my college graduation trip, but place tickets are just so expensive. I may have to do Hawaii. I have heritage in Ireland, and I think it looks like a great place to go.

My thoughts on golf over here in Ireland have gone on a little - I hope not to bore but to show that you can enjoy great golf here at a reasonable price...

Specific response to DDBowdoin’s query re courses in the South West is at the end.

(Note that today's exchange rate is ~$1.50 for €1, so adding 50% to the prices below.)

--------------
First off, as somebody who stumbled across Sand Trap when looking for places to play in NY on an upcoming trip, I suppose the one great thing about golfing in Ireland is that you can actually play ALL the great courses without having to know a member! Imagine my (very naive) disappointment at finding out that I cannot play the likes of Shinnecock, Winged Foot, National Golf Links, etc, and by the sounds of things getting on Bethpage Black isn't all that easy either!!

Anyway, yes, an unfortunate consequence of good economic times in Ireland recently is that it is more expensive for the golfing tourists (and the exchange rate really doesn't help you at the moment). However I hope to show below how you can still play great golf at a reasonable rate over here!

1) Time of day to play

Beware of 'Early bird' (which isn't very early, eg before 8/9am) and 'twilight' (usually after 4pm which in summer gives plenty of time for 18 holes) rates - you can save significantly on the normal rate. (See details below on courses in the South West.)

2) Discover the North West of Ireland!!

The South West and Dublin are the main tourist tracks. Prices are high here because demand is high. Note that the majority of green fees in the South West are from US tourists, hence the only way they will come down is if enough of you a) complain or b) stop coming!

Few people seem to realise the quality of golf courses in Mayo/Sligo and Donegal. While these are a little off the main tourist track, the quality of links courses is extremely high, better in some cases to the well known tracks of the south, and prices much more reasonable. Note that these courses are not inferior to the better know

I live in the South West of Ireland, but I travel up to the North West every year for a few days to get my fix of links golf - I couldn't justify paying €295 to play Old Head, when I can get 6 games on excellent links in the north west for a similar price.

Take this itinerary as an example assuming mid-week play:

- Carne, Co Mayo, €60/day - well worth 2 rounds. This is one of the best links in Ireland albeit it is in the middle/edge of nowhere. A local B+B also has a deal where €82 gets you a good nights sleep, great breakfast and a full day's golf - we've stayed there for the past few years - best deal in Ireland!!

- Enniscrone, Co Mayo, €60/round. Great links course.

- County Sligo (Rosses Point), €75/round. One of the classic old style links.

- Rosapenna, Co Donegal, €50/round - Old Tom Morris Course; €75 for the new Sandy Hills course (rates above incl €10 discount for web booking). Great mix on old and new links courses here.

So you have SIX ROUNDS of really great links golf for ONLY €320 - I truly doubt f you can find better than that.

Also note that rounds are similarly priced at Donegal GC, Portsalon and Ballyliffen (2 great courses at the latter with possible Irish Open coming in the next few years).

3) Travel in March/April?

Green fee rates for some of the big courses are increased in April/May due to arrival of the "summer" season (note BIG inverted commas here!). Our best weather over the last few years has actually (/sadly!) come in April, hence it is a great time to play the expensive courses. Furthermore links courses by their nature are dry pretty much all year round so even if the weather is bad the ground will good.

To answer DDBowdoin’s query re reasonably priced golf in the South West in September, some thoughts:

1) Ballybunion - great choice - unfortunately the 2 course offer at €265 is the best you will probably do. However you can play the courses within a 7 day period.

2) Lahinch - a second round on the Old course on the same day is only €45. This can only be booked on the day you play - assuming weather permits €210 for 2 rounds isn't the worst!

(Note that the 2nd course at Lahinch is not laid out over the same type of ground and is generally considered much weaker than the Old.)

Other Options:

3) Waterville for €115 - if you are not coming back to Ireland in the near future think about playing Waterville - it is a wonderful course. While it is normally €180 midweek, it is 'only' €115 if you play before 8am Mon-Thurs (so go easy on the Guinness and have an early night! )

4) Dooks for €65 – As noted by stardate Dooks is a good option - it is no Ballybunion but still a very good links course. Normal rate is €85 but again early/twilight rate is €65.

5) Castlegregory for €33 - it is unlikely that you will ever have heard of Castlegregory - it's a 9 hole course on the Dingle Peninsula beyond Tralee. I played it this summer when in the area to climb Mount Brandon (our 2nd tallest 'mountain' - around 1000ft). The course has a great setting just beside Ireland's longest beach. The wind blew hard when we played and it was a test, but very enjoyable. It has all the features of great links golf. Again it is no Ballybunion but worth playing to get accustomed to links golf before playing the big ones.

(I don’t think Kilkee is much of a links course btw – it has nice views but Castlegregory is much more of a true links imho.)

6) Dromoland for €60 - the vast majority of Irish golf courses are NOT links. Set in the grounds of the old castle (now 5 star hotel) recent works to Dromoland have made it a great course - and my personal favourite in this area.

From hole 7 onwards it is a great test, combining great views of the castle/lake, tricky par 3s; tough par 5's with drives over the lake - how much do you bite off?; some great risk/reward short par 4's with water in play; 2 great par 4's at 8 and 16. Normal rate is around €110 but play before 9.30am for €60.

7) Adare Manner Hotel and Golf Resort for €85 (in summertime) - this is a Robert Trent Jones course which held the Irish Open for the past 2 years. Parkland course set in the grounds of an old manor (another 5 star hotel now) with a river passing though. It is one of the best parkland courses in Ireland. The normal rate is €150 but if you play after 4pm it is €85 - however sunset is probably too early in September to benefit.

Note: This thread is 5729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!