IGNORED

Camillo Villegas (You kidding me?)

nike_golf
Note: This thread is 4426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm sorry to vent but this guy just bothers me, along w/ other golf fans (men) that I know.

Do you really need to sprawl out to read a putt? Do you really need to wear the tightest fitting clothes you can find?

I'm convinced this guy just eats this stuff up and loves people referring to him w/ how he reads putts and what he wears.

Maybe men that prefer other men might like this and Camillo probably thinks he's god's gift to women but lets ease up a bit with his "way" of doing things.

This is still a traditionalist sport, and he's definately close to crossing the line of being a bit too much for the sport.

Sorry, my vent is now over, and the world is good again............

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some wear it tight, some not so, some like it colorful (aint that right Mr. Austin :) ) - it doesnt really bothers me as long as they have most of their body covered (keep that shirt on John!!!) and they play golf...

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

i don't have a problem with him getting low to read putts. whatever floats his boat.

the tight shirts, err, tone it down. yes, he's in good shape. no, most women don't watch golf on tv.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I was watching the golf channel show play with the pros and the host asked him if he did his get low move for show. He said no, and whether or not he was telling the truth I certainly believe that it helps him read putts. So perhaps it is partially for show, but if it helps him at all in reading putts, I have no problem with it whatsoever. I would take looking like a showboat if I could hole some more putts any day.

He's not wearing the tightest clothing possible. Far from it. His clothing is slim, yes, and well fitting . SO much better than 95% of the golfing world where people wear polos that have sleeves that go down to your elbow and wear pleated baggy pants. I wouldn't ridicule his dress unless you've got some style yourself.

You say that golf is still a traditionalists sport yet your club choice completely contradicts this. If you're that set on retaining more traditional looks whether on your person or on your clubs, why not have traditional pear shaped woods compared to clubs completely on the opposite end of traditional appearance.

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

I don't have a problem with Camillo. His is a physique to aspire to, imo. I also like his clothing. And if getting down low helps him to read putts, then why not?
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

He gets low like that because it makes green reading so much easier. Havent you ever been at the bottom of a slope and had a ground level view? Trust me it helps alot. If he has the strength to hold himself in that position, more power to him.

As for his clothes being tight and colorful, its no different than Ian Poulter, Eric Axley, etc... Also he is from Columbia, That style is popular within his culture.
Bag:  ping.gif Voyage Orange/Black/White
Driver:  ping.gif G10 w/ Aldila Proto X-stiff
3 Wood: titleist.gif  975f
Irons:  ping.gif i10 w/ AWT X-stiff
Wedges: titleist.gifVokey Spin Milled 56* & 60*Putter: ping.gif Zing I-SeriesBall: titleist.gif ProV1x

He may wear the clothing that is in style within his native country (Medellin, Columbia) if I remember right. Find a quote of where he said anything along the lines of him being "God's gift to women." Your flaming seems to come from a low self-esteem. Maybe you aren't as in shape or as good at golf as he is and maybe we are a bit jealous? Hmm?

Get off him. If you are going to bag on him about tight clothing you need to include the other 20-50 guys on tour who wear tighter clothing. KJ Choi had on a pretty tight fitting black shirt today during the final round of the Open, but I don't think appealing to women was even on his mind when he was dressing for the Final Round.

MacGregor MACTEC NVG2 8.5* Driver
MacGregor UT2 NVG2
Taylormade VSteel 3W
Cobra IH300 3-PW
Nike SV 56* SWNike SV 50* GWOdyssey 2ball PutterTitleist Pro V1x

His style and apparel are a breath of fresh air, as well as Ian Poulter's, IMO. Some like it, some don't.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I'm sorry to vent but this guy just bothers me, along w/ other golf fans (men) that I know.

his style kind of ticks me of but i mean he is trying to mae a brand of himself alot of people with equal ofr greater skill than him probalby dont make half as much as him with thier sponcers.

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

his style is great for the game, he's getting lots of women and gay folks interested in what's happening

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Some want to assume I'm an older over-weight guy who is jealous of this character. (Villegas) You couldn't be more wrong.

I'm a 24 year old budding and in-shape young man, who has never had a problem getting the ladies. (I'm not bragging, but honestly, its true)

I was born and raised into a more conservative household and taught early whats right and whats wrong when dealing w/ the golf game. So, I'm sorry to knock off some assessment or assumptions that I'm an overweight slob but its just not the case here fellas.

I see more people are more on this guys (Villegas) side than the other point of view. And that is fine, but I just point out that what he wears and does isn't needed and to me is show-boating a bit too much. (I find a nice fitting pair of khackis or khacki shorts just fine and a comfortable nike golf shirt to be more than fine. And I also can read a putt just fine crouching on my knees like a catcher in baseball just fine as well, as does 95% of other players).

I'm not even sure how old the guy is but he's probably not much older than me, if he is at all.........

Am I guilty of being 24 and having a tradionalist mind? Sure, but my question is......... where are the rest of you?

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

I see more people are more on this guys (Villegas) side than the other point of view. And that is fine, but I just point out that what he wears and does isn't needed and to me is show-boating a bit too much. (I find a nice fitting pair of khackis or khacki shorts just fine and a comfortable nike golf shirt to be more than fine. And I also can read a putt just fine crouching on my knees like a catcher in baseball just fine as well, as does 95% of other players).

i actually see camillo as a traditional guy, going back to the day when golfers had some color and flair in their dress and style, not like today when so many golfers have sold out and are khaki billboards for nike, calloway, ping,... eggcetera

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Camillo Villegas is a good player and thats all that matters.
He has a cool signature move that he does to read putts, and it gives the game more of a character.
Every once in awhile I'll try and do Camillo Villegas's Spiderman read. And it is crazy difficult. If he wants to show-off a bit let him. He deserves it.
He probably has worked 5x as hard as you have to be a great golf player and if it works for him, maybe you should try it.
I'll do a really low push up, and it actually helps. You can see every part of break.
As for clothes, I couldn't care less. You could say he catches your eye.

Driver Launcher 7.5 YSQ Xshaft
2Hybrid Rescue Hybrid 17*
Irons Tour Preferred 3-PW
Wedges Vokey 52*
Wedges Vokey SM 60*Putter Abaco 33"Ball TP/Red/LDP or Penta TP

Really? Are we arguing about this? Wow. I mean, its not like he's wearing assless chaps. He's wearing what likely are designer golf clothes that fit his body. And he's in shape and built, its not like we have John Daly out there in skin tight clothing with a beer gut hanging out. And whats the big deal if his tastes in clothing are different than yours? Is everybody supposed to dress like you? Camillo is an individual, and there's noting wrong with that.

Oh, and one guy wondered if you were jealous, one guy. Not enough reason to give us your life story about your beliefs and how you have a great physique which gets all the women. Sorry to break it to you but nobody really cares, especially on the internet.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

Some want to assume I'm an older over-weight guy who is jealous of this character. (Villegas) You couldn't be more wrong.

So, let's see. Camilo wears clothes that you would not so he's wrong? He needs to tone it down? You also make a slight towards homosexuals in your original post. That's pretty classy.

How long have you been watching golf? Did you see what these guys wore in the 60s and 70s? Ever see images of a young, Johnny Miller? Flare pants and a tight shirt. Did Johnny disrespect the game, too? Does it bother you when Tiger wears a tight mock? Or a tight long sleeve turtleneck that shows off his pipes? Does it bother you when Natalie Gulbis wears skirts shorter than my boxers? This is exactly what's wrong with society. People criticizing others for being different and have a style of their own. That person, in this case, Camilo, should "tone it down" because it's not "traditional." Who defines traditional, you? Like I said, look back at golf attire. Plenty of players wore clothes that resembled Camilo's. You say you're not jealous. All I can say is "sure."

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I love wearing tight fitting bright clothes lol, thats half the fun of being young and in shape lol, enjoy now as when you get older, fatter and uglier you won't be able to pull it off.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I'm more bothered with guys who wear WAY to big clothes to be honest. Like Woody for example.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

Camillo is pretty fashionable IMO. I tend to wear tight clothing at times. Well not quite as tight as his, but reasonably tight. I like it a whole lot better than loose clothing. And for his putting routine, it works so why not?

Note: This thread is 4426 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!