IGNORED

What happens if shafts are too stiff?

Kperkins
Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sure, I agree. It was more or less an experiment.

Now that my son likes the i20s, I need start to seriously look at other alternatives. I might get him the i25's or something.

Sounds like your son is left handed too?  If so hang onto those mizunos and see if he grows into them or at worst changes out to stiff flex. I don't know if I'm alone on this thought but having x flex shafts in irons especially an iron like that is a big deal, whoever can hit those irons can flat out play.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Too stiff shafts loose distance and feel IMO. Please take no offence but with your index M33 are probably not the right clubs. Also a 9 iron is not a 9 iron different club have different lofts. That is done so the manufacturer can advertise our 7 iron goes 10 yards further. One 9 may be 38 degrees another may be 42, 10 yards different.

I really love my mp33s but you better be on the ball to game them. I played my best ever round last year with them but when I was off, I paid for it.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really love my mp33s but you better be on the ball to game them. I played my best ever round last year with them but when I was off, I paid for it.

I played with them at San Dimas Canyon, and got my first birdie when I was playing with them, really don't know what happened that day. All my irons were really good.

Still, it's time to start looking for another GI club. They are way more solid for my playing ability.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

i don't think i have any business playing my stiff shafts...but i bought the clubs used with very little club knowledge.

the misses seem to be right, although they aren't exactly low... but definitely right. i am also noticeably shorter than my playing buddies who are of similar handicap...

i have really warmed up to the irons, but the longest one i carry is a 5i.

You could maybe try inserts in your shoes if it's that important to you, might be less noticeable.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Are i20's considered GI clubs? I thought those were the G series. What about the AP1's - are those considered GI clubs? I'm likely to buy a new iron set this year and wondering if someone with my HC should consider these type of clubs.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Are i20's considered GI clubs? I thought those were the G series. What about the AP1's - are those considered GI clubs? I'm likely to buy a new iron set this year and wondering if someone with my HC should consider these type of clubs.

On the Maltby scale, the Ping i-series and Titleist AP2s are generally either in or very close to "game improvement" irons. That having been said, if your handicap is north of 25, I'd prioritize AP1 or G-series over AP2 or i-series.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

[quote name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/14970/what-happens-if-shafts-are-too-stiff/18#post_960280"]Are i20's considered GI clubs? I thought those were the G series. What about the AP1's - are those considered GI clubs? I'm likely to buy a new iron set this year and wondering if someone with my HC should consider these type of clubs.

On the Maltby scale, the Ping i-series and Titleist AP2s are generally either in or very close to "game improvement" irons. That having been said, if your handicap is north of 25, I'd prioritize AP1 or G-series over AP2 or i-series.[/b][/quote] Yeah, that's what I figured. The reason I ask is because I was at GolfSmith a couple weeks ago and I told the salesman what I shoot and he was steering me away from the AP1 and stuff I shouldn't spend that much on a set of clubs.

Christian

The reason I ask is because I was at GolfSmith a couple weeks ago and I told the salesman what I shoot and he was steering me away from the AP1 and stuff I shouldn't spend that much on a set of clubs.

Oh, that I agree with completely. You can get a full set of Maltby/GolfWorks clubs for far less than Titleist will charge you :-)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Not really

Lets say you even get the $20 dollar clubheads, that's $160 for a set of 8

Dynamic gold shafts, $152

Grips installation, $65

Shaft Installation, $160 dollars

total $537

Lets throw in tax, $575 dollars now

That isn't including shipping for the shafts, clubheads, and other materials.

So your spending nearly $575 dollars for a cheap set of clubs. You can get a set of last year pings for near that.

Ala' Cart is pricey because those companies don't have the funds to offer their clubs at a cheaper. Basic economics, the more volume a company produces each unit price for the next unit will cost less. Meaning for money for value, its better to go with name brand because they can afford better technology, marketing, planing, research.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Not really

In case this is referenced to my suggestion that GolfWorks clubs can be had much more cheaply. http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_PMA0175 <-- good set of irons, 4 through G (8 clubs), including True Temper shafts -- not dynamic gold, but good shafts just the same; also includes decent grips and ferrules. $180 for just the parts, or +$40 to have them assemble them (they periodically offer free assembly on all packs, but let's say they don't). Tell them your specs -- easy enough to find out this information for free. When I was considering new clubs (the 3-4 times I've done so in my golfing time), I asked each company at a demo day for which setting of theirs to consider (and I disregarded any company that asked me about my score and said "standard length, R-flex" without so much as watching me swing). The answers I got (from companies that didn't just give a stock answer without any thought) were common enough that I'm comfortable applying those specs to my component clubs. If you build them, you can obviously have them set to your specs. Otherwise, they do it -- tell them the flex, whether you want it soft or hard stepped (if you do), grip build-up, etc. So... $220, plus tax and shipping. Less than half of your estimate, even if NY (RFKFreak's state of residence) has taxes as high as California.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Not really

In case this is referenced to my suggestion that GolfWorks clubs can be had much more cheaply.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_PMA0175 <-- good set of irons, 4 through G (8 clubs), including True Temper shafts -- not dynamic gold, but good shafts just the same; also includes decent grips and ferrules. $180 for just the parts, or +$40 to have them assemble them (they periodically offer free assembly on all packs, but let's say they don't).

Tell them your specs -- easy enough to find out this information for free. When I was considering new clubs (the 3-4 times I've done so in my golfing time), I asked each company at a demo day for which setting of theirs to consider (and I disregarded any company that asked me about my score and said "standard length, R-flex" without so much as watching me swing). The answers I got (from companies that didn't just give a stock answer without any thought) were common enough that I'm comfortable applying those specs to my component clubs.

If you build them, you can obviously have them set to your specs. Otherwise, they do it -- tell them the flex, whether you want it soft or hard stepped (if you do), grip build-up, etc.

So... $220, plus tax and shipping. Less than half of your estimate, even if NY (RFKFreak's state of residence) has taxes as high as California.

I like the price. Unfortunately, no left handed iron products from Golfworks.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Not really

Lets say you even get the $20 dollar clubheads, that's $160 for a set of 8

Dynamic gold shafts, $152

Grips installation, $65

Shaft Installation, $160 dollars

total $537

Lets throw in tax, $575 dollars now

That isn't including shipping for the shafts, clubheads, and other materials.

So your spending nearly $575 dollars for a cheap set of clubs. You can get a set of last year pings for near that.

Ala' Cart is pricey because those companies don't have the funds to offer their clubs at a cheaper. Basic economics, the more volume a company produces each unit price for the next unit will cost less. Meaning for money for value, its better to go with name brand because they can afford better technology, marketing, planing, research.

From my experience, it's 10$ per club to have golfworks assemble them for you. So that's a bit under 500. Then you can knock the rest of the assembly fee off altogether if you buy basic tools for under 50$.

As for the Pings, yes you can get last year's set for cheap but they don't have dynamic gold so it's not a fair comparison. You actually have no choice in terms of the shaft at all. That's why I didn't go for off the rack irons. I could have gotten a used set with decent shafts but it wasn't worth spending the same money for beat up clubs plus 8 new grips.

For a set without dynamic gold, Golfworks offers a package of 8 clubs assembled and adjusted for 285. I'd probably consider that set to be more comparable to ping's stock options. I think in this case the Pings are nicer but they're also around double the cost.

And if you want premium shafts and grips, the components become a much better deal versus going through retail for custom clubs or buying entire off the rack sets and reshafting them, paying for but wasting the stock shafts and grips. Try buying a set of irons of any kind with C tapers for example; you get upcharged in most cases for the full amount it costs to buy the shaft in addition to sky high prices, and most of the time they won't offer an 8 iron set. Any shaft that's not KBS tour or dynamic gold and you're screwed by the custom departments. Believe me the premium shafts can be worth it for many people but the heads are overpriced as hell.

For a full set of 8 irons, you may be getting a very slightly nicer head (Components can't touch something like an MP4 but they can match the MP54 for example) than components but you can't get this shaft in a 3-PW set for under 1100$ or so for the current models, and that includes adams who used it as the stock model. Titleist for example charges about 1300 for their blades in this configuration, for example. I paid about 600$. If 500$ is worth it to have brand name clubs with the same specs and shafts then by all means buy what you want.

@Lihu http://www.golfworks.com/category.asp_Q_pc_E_1_A_c_E_677_A_c2c_E_ln There isn't much but it's there. You could probably do better from Hireko, http://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-irons.html?hand=54

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I like the price. Unfortunately, no left handed iron products from Golfworks.

Same set I suggested, same price, in left handed: http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_PMA0175L (FWIW, I've been playing KE4 U30s for about two and a half years, ever since I found out that I wouldn't be able to play as often as I did when I was in school. Knowing what I know now about the relative importance of various things in the iron striking world, I think I made the right choice, even as I get back to playing more)

-- Michael | My swing! 

@Lihu http://www.golfworks.com/category.asp_Q_pc_E_1_A_c_E_677_A_c2c_E_ln There isn't much but it's there. You could probably do better from Hireko, http://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-irons.html?hand=54

Same set I suggested, same price, in left handed: http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_PMA0175L

(FWIW, I've been playing KE4 U30s for about two and a half years, ever since I found out that I wouldn't be able to play as often as I did when I was in school. Knowing what I know now about the relative importance of various things in the iron striking world, I think I made the right choice, even as I get back to playing more)

Thanks, this is pretty good. I didn't think to look for the LH "model" I was trying to configure the RH set for LH.

Great information. I might get a set to replace my Ping i20.

They also look fully configurable. The weights etc. Hireko looks very interesting as well.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Thanks, this is pretty good. I didn't think to look for the LH "model" I was trying to configure the RH set for LH.

Great information. I might get a set to replace my Ping i20.

They also look fully configurable. The weights etc. Hireko looks very interesting as well.

My brother uses the XK pro iron from hireko, which I don't think they make anymore. They are fairly nice and good clubs for a bit of extra distance and forgiveness but medium small profile. I'd probably class them as a tweener players iron like the I20. If I had to I could play those irons without much adjustment even though I like mine better. I'd say the XF pro looks pretty much the same so that's the only one I can personally recommend.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Quote:

Not really

Tell them your specs -- easy enough to find out this information for free.

Please excuse my ignorance but how can you find this information easily for free?

Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shindig

Quote:

Not really

Tell them your specs -- easy enough to find out this information for free.

Please excuse my ignorance but how can you find this information easily for free?

You can use some on line fitting estimates:

http://www.pinemeadowgolf.com/cfw/

The main thing is to get all the geometric stuff fitted. Your physical characteristics. Although this thread is about shaft stiffness, these are the most important things to get right. The grip type is also very crucial so that you don't over-grip the club.

Shaft stiffness will only change the timing, and the impact could be weak and low because if your swing does not flex the shaft enough that the face kicks up at impact. This means that you are not optimally getting the best distances and flight, which is the thread topic.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3693 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!