IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

imho golf is a game of skill and I have 13 clubs for that! putting is an artform so why not have a piece of art in your hands roll on jan 2011 SC newport here I come lol

MX 700 10.5 REG flex
3 and 5 wood
rescue 22 degree
tour burner 4-SW and 52 and 60 degree wedges
Rossa Monza Spider Balero Putter

so why not have a piece of art in your hands roll on jan 2011 SC newport here I come lol

Here we go again. An off the rack, mass produced 2011 SC is no more of a work of art as any Bettinardi, Odyssey Black, T.P. Mills or whatever.

There are (will be) millions of these putters and those who persist in believing that there is some cachet in owning one don't get it. If you like them, great - buy as many as you please. But this notion of them - particularly the OTR ones - as being somehow at the top of the hill is just plain silly.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Here we go again. An off the rack, mass produced 2011 SC is no more of a work of art as any Bettinardi, Odyssey Black, T.P. Mills or whatever.

and I totally agree tbh my first choice if going on looks alone would be the Mizuno Bettinardi C02 Putter but i have not found any where to try it out but I have tried the Newport and loved the feel as that style of putter really suites me and like I said putting imo is an art form so in reality it does not matter if you have a scotty or some clapped out bladed putter from crazy golf as long as you can use it! :P

MX 700 10.5 REG flex
3 and 5 wood
rescue 22 degree
tour burner 4-SW and 52 and 60 degree wedges
Rossa Monza Spider Balero Putter

Yes, I still don't get this. Mass produced Scotty Cameron putters are pretty much the same as any other, except perhaps the marketing. It's like Bose speakers, they're crap, in fact, so bad, they try to hide their actual numbers. Bose markets their products as like, "enough power to fill any room." They don't, however, market their products with the more mundane, but more useful numbers like, "500 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, 650 watts RMS @ 4 ohms, 1 kHz sine wave test, 1 hour idle@58°f." The reason they don't? Their numbers are pathetic, and their frequency responses are just bad. In fact, they're some of the worst speakers on the market...

So, why do people pay 4 times more than another company for them? Well, because they believe the hype. Same deal with Scotty Camerons. They use words like "German Stainless Steel" and pretend like it's some rare alloy, not the more mundane, common metal that's used in a dozen different household products. They are hunks of metal machined into shape. If you can even begin to tell me this helps you putt better, then you're lying. They are just as good or bad as any other off the rack putter made the same way.

When I was a beginner, one of my top 10 golf digest ranked instructor told me to get a random Scotty Cameron blade putter to start the game. He said Scotty makes best putters in the world. The sweet spot is exactly right in the middle and he showed me some other putters' sweet spot arent exactly you think it is. They are a little off. Therefore, I listened to him and I got the Newport 2.5 and I used it for about 5 years. Now I'm using the California Coronado. It has a very soft feel and I tend to like this feel more than my Newport 2.5. So far I have no regrets. It's very important that you test the putter on a real putting green. You can't really test the putter with some fake grass in a golf shop. You can't go wrong with Studio Select Newport 2. I would suggest you to do a little forward press to smooth out the stroke. Have fun with it :)

In my Grom bag:

Driver: 909D2 10.5"
Irons: AP1 4-9
3 Wood: 909F2 15.5"Hybrid: 909H 19"Wedges: spin milled: PW, 52", 58", 62"Putter: California Coronado 33"Ball: Pro v1x

They are just as good or bad as any other off the rack putter made the same way.

Therein lies the problem of defining "good or bad". For me, a putter is about feel, confidence and results. In that way, a SC is "better" to me than a cheap putter with a feel I don't like. For someone else, the SC might be feeling bad and he likes the cheap one better.

The objective part is type of material, making process etc., but who's to say one metal is better for putting than the other? Or that one type of making is better than the other? It all comes down to how you play the club and how it feels to you. Weight balancing, shaft, clubhead design, type of metal etc. are all things that will be different, but only to the individual. Some like the feel and sound of a putter that goes *bonk*, or they don't want to spend money on something else. The only way to rank putters is by sales numbers, but since they market their products so differently, that statistic won't tell you much either. It will tell you which putter sells best, but that doesn't mean anything to the individual. You can look at statistics on clubs the pros use, but what makes the most used clubs on the PGA Tour the ones best suited for you? This whole discussion is useless. If you want to, you can find Nike, Odyssey and Bettinardi putters for $300 too, but SC is more fun to bash.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The objective part is . . .

There's not a lot of objectivity on putters in general.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

This whole discussion is useless. If you want to, you can find Nike, Odyssey and Bettinardi putters for $300 too, but SC is more fun to bash.

thats because most people (not accusing you specifically) who use SC Newport2's don't actually favor the "feel" of it over any other putter...they use it because its "cool"

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

thats because most people (not accusing you specifically) who use SC Newport2's don't actually favor the "feel" of it over any other putter...they use it because its "cool"

Feel isn't real, right?

Whenever people talk about making a motion in their swing based on feel, choosing clubs based on how they feel, or just generally seeing then hitting a shot by feel, they get a virtual beatdown. Maybe he does prefer the feel of the SC. The OTR one's I've tried felt like hitting a rock with another rock, but some people find hitting an Odyssey or Rife feels like hitting a turd with a marshamallow. Like I said, there's zero objectivity in why a person prefers one putter over another or than 1 thing . . . which one allows you to sink more putts.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

im not sure if you can tell the difference in the feel between putters that much. Putters is all about distance control though and feel is a big part of that. I think the balance, weight and design are the most important aspects of the putter.

I really don't think this is true. Yes, you'll always have fanboys who play any club because of it's perception... possible more so with SC putters. Putting is so personal though, a putter really is a "feel" thing. It's the weight, balance and feel of the face.

You use a rife, i use anything that is making putts that week, some people use SC putters. Who the hell cares.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Getting the Rossa Daytona Ghost for christmas. tried it at the store, for 130 dollars its much much better than a Scotty IMO

What's in my Mit-E Lite Stand Bag:
Driver: R9 460 9.5° Stiff Flex
3-Wood: Burner '07 Stiff Flex
Hybrid: Idea A3 4-Hybrid 22°
Irons: X-18 4-PW, Lamkin-Michelin OCS Tour GripsWedges: CG15 52°-56°-60° Normal BouncePutter: Pro Platinum Newport Mid SlantBall: Penta TP

Getting the Rossa Daytona Ghost for christmas. tried it at the store, for 130 dollars its much much better than a Scotty IMO

Very different putter. Both are great.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

The Daytona might be better, but I couldn't get a feel for distance with the Corza Ghost. I am doing much better with the SC.

Joe Paradiso

im not sure if you can tell the difference in the feel between putters that much. Putters is all about distance control though and feel is a big part of that. I think the balance, weight and design are the most important aspects of the putter.

I think the balance, weight, design, and

sound all contribute to the feel of a putter. And feel is incredibly important in a putter.

I was in the market for a new putter about 4 months ago. Went and tried SC out first. While it definately felt good I then picked up the Odyssey White Hot. The Odyssey felt different but not in a bad way what so ever. Anyways I went with the $120 White Hot. Maybe one day I'll give in to the legend of the SC but I'm not prepared to drop that much $$$ yet.

Callaway 3.5 Stand Bag Taylormade Burner 10.5 Driver Callaway Razr X 21* Hybrid Callaway Razr Forged Irons 4-9 Titleist Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 Odyssey White Hot XG #1 putter

And this applies only to those who buy a SC because it's cool or very highly thought of? What about those who buy any other brand for the same reason?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

And this applies only to those who buy a SC because it's cool or very highly thought of? What about those who buy any other brand for the same reason?

well for discussion sake, we're talking about SC's here, not other brands. SC's of all putters have the most fan-boy-esq following. You find it in any staple fan boy's golf bag. the Newport 2 specifically.

again, i'm not saying everyone who uses the Newport 2 is a fan boy... but i'm saying there is a huge following of people who use the Newport 2, not because of its "feel" and "performance" but because they're so popular.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!