IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had many conversations with Chuck and Lee (C&L;) great dudes. Putter comes out to a decent price, takes a while to crank one out... around 6 weeks.

Actually choose to order a TEI3 in good shape off ebay (200 bucks) then have it refinished by George Palombi (amazing putter maker)

still in his shop, sent it over around 10 days ago

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Yogi, Yogi, Yogi...

Stay on topic. This is supposed to be a conversation about Scotty Cameron putters and whether they are "worth it" to you. I gave the reason why they are not "worth it" to me and everyone got offended. So sorry to hurt the feelings of the masses.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

the nxt is a two piece ball

NXT Tour is a 3 piece ball.

---"Be the ball"---

Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

Scotty Cameron putters are a perfect example of a Veblen good.

Others have been flamed for suggesting it, but I agree, no way is a putter worth $300. It's all in your head! If it helps you putt better then more power to you, but I can't accept the assertion that it is a "better" putter.

I purchased a SC for the start of this golf season and can honestly say I've made more birdies and clutch par putts than I ever have. Not sure if it's a mental thing or not, but I do really like it. I'm thinking about getting one of the Studio Selects next.

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0° BB Stiff, G10 14°
Hybrids: i15 20°, Rapture 24°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51°, 56°, 60° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

I recently put my SC back in the bag and i love it. It is a J.A.T. prototype with a winn grip. I tried the 2 ball putter and could not make anything. I even went Back to a Cobra putter that was available in the early 90's. My opinion is that scotty cameron putters are the best on the market right now, I won't putt with anything else.

^^ This guy speaks the truth. I honestly refuse to putt with anything else other than a Scotty ever since I got mine. I have made so many deep clutch putts with it. They are in my opinion perfect putters.

Hoofer Lite
Burner 10.5* S - Flex
I3 3 wood, UST Proforce 65 Gold S-Flex shaft
Idea Pro Gold 3H S - Flex
Forged Blade Irons Tour Black Satin Wedge 52*/10* Vokey Oil Can 56*/10* Forged Wedge (60*/12*) Studio Design 1.5 with CS Pro Plat finish Pro V1 balls

^^ This guy speaks the truth. I honestly refuse to putt with anything else other than a Scotty ever since I got mine. I have made so many deep clutch putts with it. They are in my opinion perfect putters.

I'm love the Scotty's and a bunch of you have sen "the List" on here. I agree that they are good but there are several other putter makers that may fit you better. My gamer is a TP MIlls Tradition. Find what makes putts and don't get hung up on what makes putts in someone else's hands.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

Scotty Cameron putters are a perfect example of a Veblen good.

Agreed. 100%. My reputation shows the scars of this argument.

---"Be the ball"---

When I was in the market for a new putter to replace my horrible dinged up mallet, I decided to demo a few putters of course. With my ceiling on purchasing a putter at about 100 bucks, I was probably going to come home with something like an odyessy.

Liking the looks of a blade, the first thing I picked up was a SC Newport. Simply amazing. I can't really put my finger on it, but my putts on their practice green just kept going in or juuuust lipping out. Turned it over and read the price tag (OUCH).

Then asked the guy in the store to start handing me 'similar' looking putters while I closed my eyes and putted with them. Somehow I ended up with a $40 Carbite putter and have been happy with it since. I think I'll definitely get one of them Scotties...but not yet.

Worth it? Depends on if having confidence is worth it...

Answer: Hell yes!
Conclusion: Different strokes for different folks

P.S.: Sorry - had to throw that one in there...heheheheheehhh

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

• Administrator
Others have been flamed for suggesting it, but I agree, no way is a putter worth $300.

Why do people feel the need to push their value judgments on others? What you should have said is "no way is a putter worth $300...

to me . You might not pay $800 for a bottle of wine, but for someone else it may be a bargain. You might not pay for a fine cigar (nor would I), but others do. Your value judgments - and everyone else's - are different.
It's all in your head!

So is putting for a lot of people (all in their head). If the putter helps 'em, so be it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why do people feel the need to push their value judgments on others? What you should have said is "no way is a putter worth $300...

What is the title of this thread?

"Are Scotty Cameron putters worth it?" The OP asked for an opinion and I gave mine.

When I was in the market for a new putter to replace my horrible dinged up mallet, I decided to demo a few putters of course. With my ceiling on purchasing a putter at about 100 bucks, I was probably going to come home with something like an odyessy.

this thread is going on and on and on and on... its great

I think its a combination of technology and your confidence / mental state... personally I believe that great putters have a great deal of trust in their stroke and can rely on it over and over again. This obviously happens on all levels, its why you see some touring pro's using belly putters and large mallets as supposed to the more traditional blade. Some players just feel they have a consistent and natural stroke while others have to work for it... hence they reach out to technology. now there and is nothing wrong with a mallet, or a super high end MOI putter or a Cameron Newport... like people have said on here, its what you value and its what you think works for your game. If its a 40 dollar carbite or a 2000 Byron... whatever gets you in the hole gets you in the hole its the same as why some people pay 20 bucks for greens fees and other spend 20grand for a membership at a private club, its all about what YOU value

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Ya know, I have never really understood the real hype about them. I have had my Odyssey putter for about 2 years now and love it. I really have a great feel with it. The scottys look real nice, but its truely all about how the putter feels to you

In the Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T
Hybrid: Titleist 585H Hybrid
Irons: Nike Pro Combo 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56*, 60* Titleist Vokey 52*Putter: Odyssey 6660 Ball: Titleist ProV1

... whatever gets you in the hole gets you in the hole...

Thaaaats what she said Sorry off topic...I'm in a funky mood today Thats what she said again...unfortunately

In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

thats right, exactly what she said...

Daniel Duarte

cheer up everyone! i wrote a poem for ya'll!

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15306

But then again we could say the same about people criticizing us as well. They should not push their value judgements on us thinking a Scotty Cameron putter is worth $300-$400. We have simply given our opinion. I have only said that

I think it is a waste of money. I could care less if I play against a guy with a $15 putter or some limited edition Scotty worth $1000. He's not going to shoot a better score than me just because of how much his putter cost.

---"Be the ball"---

• Administrator
But then again we could say the same about people criticizing us as well. They should not push their value judgements on us thinking a Scotty Cameron putter is worth $300-$400.

Frankly -

and this will be the last post on this slight diversion from the topic - I still see a fine line. The people who deem them "worth" their money seem to almost always seem to say "they're worth it to me, and I love mine." The people who, like yourself, don't seem to believe they're worth it almost always seem to say "they're not worth it, you shouldn't waste your money." The difference being there's the hint with the latter that you're being TOLD you're stupid for spending the money, and with the former, people treat it more as their personal opinion. Virtually nobody who says "they're not worth it" says "They're not worth it for me, but I'm sure other people see value in it, and that's fine." It almost always seems to come off as "you're all wasting your money. I can get model XYZ for $119!" Just a general feeling about the tone, which is admittedly difficult to read online, but as someone who doesn't really care what anyone thinks about MY equipment, I don't believe I've "read into" something that's not there. Maybe, though. If you aren't sure what I mean by the above, I'm not sure how to put it another way. P.S. For example, this seems very much to be "pushing value judgments on others." He specifically says "your head," not "my head," and he doesn't say "I agree, no way is a putter worth $300 to me ." You might argue that such is implied, but I'm not a big fan of assuming or implying, particularly when it's contradicted by "your head" immediately afterwards.
Others have been flamed for suggesting it, but I agree, no way is a putter worth $300. It's all in your head!

P.P.S. And people aren't criticizing your opinion - they're criticizing the way you've expressed it and the way you seem to be making that judgment on behalf of them. Again - take it to PMs if you have more to say, please. I don't, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!