IGNORED

Left handed playing right hand golf

Salty Dog
Note: This thread is 2471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i have no problems. i started playing golf because i use to be a caddy at a private golf course and they gave the caddies free used golf clubs, with bags, balls, etc...
i was left handed, and hated golf passionately. i was all about basketball. i shoot basketballs, throw, bowl, write, bat left handed, but comes to golf i play right handed. i have no problems.
the 1st clubs i have ever swung were left handed clubs. so i got used to that and only that. so i had no problems playing the game of golf.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is interesting that Mickleson is a righty that plays golf lefty. Supposedly this started as he "mirrored" his dad's swing on the range as a youngster.

• 3 years later...

I'm a lefty all the way, writing, throwing, kicking, you name it. - but i play golf right. On a good day, i can drive 250+ metres, straight down the fairway. Stick to what you're comfortable with. I learnt to play rightie, and have never looked back since.

• 2 years later...

I am naturally left handed when I write, throw, and shoot a basketball. However, I am right eye dominant, and when I bat, shoot a shotgun, or golf I use my right hand. Weird.

I have noticed that since my left arm is the strongest, I hit the golf ball farther than most of my peers, and even some younger players. I also tend to hook the ball, rather than slice.

The drill that works best for me to keep the ball straight....is to put a bottle behind the clubhead at address, and push it straight back during the backswing, keeps the clubhead parallel and low to the ground, and uses your arms and shoulders, not your hands. See Golf Magazine October 2013, The Fix-IT Issue....thanks, Krista Dunton!

G

• 1 month later...

I am left handed

Played baseball most of my life as a righty because as a kid in a small town it was nearly impossible to find a glove for a lefty

I play golf right handed but putt left handed (tried both ways but much better putter as a lefty)

I play with a guy who is a full-blown righty and swings righty, but he putts lefty which I find to be very strange. He's an excellent putter too. I don't know what made him develop this strategy, but it definitely works for him.

I am ambidextrous (at golf anyway and I throw left handed and write right handed) and play right handed.  So I really don't know my "handedness" as do different things from different sides, just screwed up I guess.  But I am left eye dominant.  I tried playing left handed for a few years but just wasn't making any progress so switched over to the other side.  I seem more comfortable this way and in my hay day clubs were surely easier to procure.  So I guess I'd recommend you play from the side you're most comfortable with.

Butch

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am lefthanded and play righthanded golf. My handicap is 2,9. I am a very solid golfer but lack distance compared to my mates.

it is absolutely frustrating to be 50 yards back on the drive ( my drive length is approx. 230 yards carry) compared to my mates.

I believe the reason is that i do not release properly thru the swing since my left hand is stronger than my right hand.

Can anyone help or give advice what to do?

Thanks

Choroni

Hi, I am lefthanded and play righthanded golf. My handicap is 2,9. I am a very solid golfer but lack distance compared to my mates. it is absolutely frustrating to be 50 yards back on the drive ( my drive length is approx. 230 yards carry) compared to my mates. I believe the reason is that i do not release properly thru the swing since my left hand is stronger than my right hand. Can anyone help or give advice what to do? Thanks Choroni

Welcome to the sand trap. As a fellow lefty, I recommend that you play left handed, of course. I even started off right handed when I first started golfing a little before joining this site. I switched to lefty after joining a couple years ago. I was told that playing right handed is also possible, but my turn is more natural when turning clockwise on the downswing. I did not have any trouble with distance right handed (in fact I think I drove the ball further when I started), but it feels a lot more natural and I end up on the fairway at least some of the time.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks,

to switch to left handed golf is n.a. for me i am 53 years old and don't have the time to practice. i agree with you that it feels more comfortable to swing lefthanded. Could it be that the lack of distance comes from not being able to keep the wrist angle long enough just before impact, means i lose the wip... i can hold the angle much better with my left hand swinging clockwise... maybe muscle training training for the right hand may help.. what do you think?

Thanks, to switch to left handed golf is n.a. for me i am 53 years old and don't have the time to practice. i agree with you that it feels more comfortable to swing lefthanded. Could it be that the lack of distance comes from not being able to keep the wrist angle long enough just before impact, means i lose the wip... i can hold the angle much better with my left hand swinging clockwise... maybe muscle training training for the right hand may help.. what do you think?

230 carry is pretty good. Are you saying your mates carry 280? That's very long even for a pro.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 8 months later...
I am a person that writes with the left hand and EVERYTHING else right handed(throw, bat, kick, golf) its just most natural to me. I havent picked up clubs for two years until this passed weekend. I hit the range and did the same ole slice with me longer irons hitting just to the right with my short irons. Went the next day with my father in law, seen how my shots were going and told me to simply to close the club face at address. I tried it out and man my shot improved in distance, direction, and height. This adjustment was so good he said lets play 18 on the par 3 course where we were. I continued to hit the ball far and straight to the point that i didnt have to choose two clubs up to hit the ball like distances as everyone else. This made the round enjoyable for me, I know some say its a bandaid but if I commit this to memory I dont see why I couldnt enjoy golf as much as I did Saturday

Lol  this made me giggle cuz i get asked this question all the time......

I am right handed....... when i played baseball and softball, i batted left handed ( throw right handed )... I eat with my left hand, when cutting a steak ( knife in right hand ) ... if its soup or something else i eat with my right hand...

I fire a rifle with my left hand, but am right eye dominant... i fire a pistol with my right hand...   And i golf right handed...... When i was really into billiards, i used my left hand to stroke the cue stick...

I've hand a lot of people ask me if i am left handed and i always say no, i am right handed..... usually their comment is ...... but you eat left handed or you bat left handed...

I even had someone ask me if i ever tried golfing left handed lol......... i tried swinging a left handed golf club ( once ) and knew it wasnt right

It is what it is

I'm left handed and play something resembling golf right handed. Wasn't any decision for me though because I grew up playing hockey and swinging a baseball bat righty. I actually learned to throw a ball righty first and am somewhat ambidextrous. Playing lacrosse where everyone plays both hands helped that along. I've never swung a left handed club but I've tried to hit my wedge lefty and it went alright. I can't really answer your question. I'm not any good yet but it's not from playing righty.

• 4 weeks later...

GUILTY !!

grew up in a righthanded house with right handed clubs ...played righthanded most of my life until i almost gave up the game due to lack of power on my drives...(not to mention a duck hook)

my teenage son suggested i borrow a lefty club while we were at a driving range honing in on his skills... borrowed a used lefty driver,

took a few swipes.. and BAM !  golf was back in my life ...i was confused for a bit .. hit it lefty..righty..??? ...now 5 years into my new adventure ... lefty off the tees... and long iron shots... righty fron 150 in ...it works and i'm old ... so i'm done tampering with it ...

My former neighbor was left handed.  He played with all right handed irons except the 3 iron which was left handed and he had left handed woods.  When I first started play golf with him it drove me nuts

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

My little brother is left handed. He accidentally left his putter at home before a round last year and had to use my RH putter. His lines and distance control was much better putting right handed. So, he went and got a RH putter and has been playing that way ever since.

Note: This thread is 2471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!