IGNORED

Left handed playing right hand golf

Salty Dog
Note: This thread is 2497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a weird mix.  I write, eat and shoot pool left-handed, but do pretty much everything else right-handed.  I'm nowhere near ambidextrous, as my left-handed swing with a golf club or baseball bat is a disaster, and if I try to write right-handed it looks like I swallowed a hand grenade.

One of the guys I play with golfs righty and putts lefty.  He said he tried it once when he wasn't putting well righty and just ended up sticking with it.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The putting part doesn't actually seem odd though. I could see a right eye dominate person being able to line up putts better from the left side. As a right handed batter in baseball, It's always seemed odd that I see the ball better when I switch to the left side...the only handicap being my awful left handed swing! But putting is a much more simplistic motion. A solid putting stroke from the opposite side could actually be achieved with a little practice. Think I might try it!

Dunno how I missed this thread up until now, I'm 100% right handed, but have always batted/golfed lefty.  When we used to do one-hand tee and soft toss hitting drills in baseball practice, I'd have to flip around do them from the right side with my right hand, because it just felt more natural.  But.. screwing around playing tennis, I'd always rather hit a backhand than a forehand and also I mentioned in the ping pong thread awhile ago that I hit just about everything backhand with my right hand, even on the wrong side of the table.

Just weird... if you told me tomorrow that I had to golf one handed, I'd easily choose going right handed with my right arm.  I've thought about maybe trying to putt right handed due to the right hand dominant/baseball thing, but idk.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone (I'm new here)

So I'm a lefty, but I play right-handed. We had our company golf tourney on Friday, I don't have my own set, so I went to the shop to rent a pair, and she asked me lefty or righty....I umed and ah-ed and eventually said righty. When I got the clubs strapped the cart, I took out the driver for a few test swings - and it was a lefty! In fact all the clubs were lefty, except for the putter, which was righty!
So I played lefty for the first time and actually played fairly OK. It felt weird but natural at the same time. But it felt like I lacked power in my swings; I can hit the ball further playing righty, and I was wondewring if my left arm, playing righty, is like a coiled spring and I have more power as a backhander, then as a forehander.

Anyway, I went and bought a set of clubs yesterday - they are righty. They have lefty sets there and I was stood there for a while pondering which set to buy.

So, a lefty playing righty, which hand should get the glove???

Hi Everyone (I'm new here) So I'm a lefty, but I play right-handed. We had our company golf tourney on Friday, I don't have my own set, so I went to the shop to rent a pair, and she asked me lefty or righty....I umed and ah-ed and eventually said righty. When I got the clubs strapped the cart, I took out the driver for a few test swings - and it was a lefty! In fact all the clubs were lefty, except for the putter, which was righty! So I played lefty for the first time and actually played fairly OK. It felt weird but natural at the same time. But it felt like I lacked power in my swings; I can hit the ball further playing righty, and I was wondewring if my left arm, playing righty, is like a coiled spring and I have more power as a backhander, then as a forehander. Anyway, I went and bought a set of clubs yesterday - they are righty. They have lefty sets there and I was stood there for a while pondering which set to buy. So, a lefty playing righty, which hand should get the glove???

Welcome, lefty! Glove goes on the right hand, usually. . .of course you would naturally need the right clubs (lefty).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Being born a lefty and doing everything under the sun except using scissors I couldn't image even attempting to swing a club from the wrong side (righty). I'm not good enough naturally

• 1 year later...

I'm left handed at everything, throwing, batting, eating, writing, but I play golf right handed. My dad bought my brother and I a set of clubs that were right handed that we shared when I was maybe 6. I've always played that way, so I don't know any different. This idea of not generating power or hitting the ball a long way because of playing opposite handed i don't understand. I've always hit the ball pretty well. 

I think the one issue I've had to consistently monitor is staying slow enough through my swing, fighting the occasional duck hook, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with playing right handed. When I'm playing well, I play a nice consistent draw. 

I can however hit it okay left handed, too, but i've never considered switching. 

Note: This thread is 2497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!