IGNORED

"The Impact Zone" by Bobby Clampett

iacas
Note: This thread is 1461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First off, I loved the book. I've played for a long time and read probably a handful of books related to golf, not a ton. I though focusing on the impact zone as it may was a refreshing and practical topic to write on. I can say with certainty it has improved my game and probably would more if I cared to practice at all, which I don't.

Now, the one thing I didn't get at all that I've discussed with my teacher, and Erik about is where he suggests you hit down on the Driver. I'm sorry but I'll never agree with that statement. Otherwise, I enjoyed the heck out of the book and will be referencing it for many years into the future.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

• 1 month later...
I try to tell new golfers at work to focus on the divot and start at the ball, but that article swinging at the bottom, really gets the point across. I don't know how much it helped me to focus, but I shot my lowest score this past weekend, an 81. This was at Eastland Greens here in Clarksville, Tn. What impressed me was my short game. I was sticking my sandwedge chips! I always thought of load as delaying the straightening of the bent arm before impact, my right arm for me? I see a lot of hacks hitting early because they straighten out the arm to early, that is why the bottom of the impact zone helps delay this straightening of the right arm! have also been trying not to get the wrist involved at all and focusing on hitting with the forearms, and keeping the hands low through impact. Keeping the hands low helps me not to cast the ball, which causes a lot of slices.

the short game equalizes everything
FT-5 Draw 10.5
NVG woods 3,5,7,9
Orlimar 4hy
Wilson DI-5 Irons 6-pwTurner wedge 51* bent to 53*TM TP 54* SW bent to 57*Wilson Kirk Currie #2 Mid MalletLaddie X

well this is what I need to learn how to do, I guess I'll have to pick this book up. Thanks for all the great input...

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff
Taylormade V Steel 3 and 5 wood

Bridgestone J33 R Hybrid 21* NV Shaft
Mizuno MP Quad Cut 52* and 56* Spinner Shafts

Scotty Cameron Newport Two TeI3

I try to tell new golfers at work to focus on the divot and start at the ball, but that article swinging at the bottom, really gets the point across. I don't know how much it helped me to focus, but I shot my lowest score this past weekend, an 81. This was at Eastland Greens here in Clarksville, Tn. What impressed me was my short game. I was sticking my sandwedge chips! I always thought of load as delaying the straightening of the bent arm before impact, my right arm for me? I see a lot of hacks hitting early because they straighten out the arm to early, that is why the bottom of the impact zone helps delay this straightening of the right arm! have also been trying not to get the wrist involved at all and focusing on hitting with the forearms, and keeping the hands low through impact. Keeping the hands low helps me not to cast the ball, which causes a lot of slices.

good job on the 81...Lag is delaying the straightening of the shaft with the arms. Load is the initial cocking of the wrists.

In my bag:

2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Ok, I've read the first two chapters but am not getting the "aiming point" part? Can someone explain it in a different lite?

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff

Ok, I've read the first two chapters but am not getting the "aiming point" part? Can someone explain it in a different lite?

Been a while since I read the book, but ...

I am going to assume that when you swing right now you are mentally 'aiming at the ball'. By this I mean that the ball is what you look at, focus on, and think about hitting. This is just like the rim when shooting a free throw in basketball or the bullseye in archery. IF this makes absolutely no sense to you in the context of a golf swing, I'm not sure that I would suggest that you implement the 'aiming point'. You really need to swing through the ball, not at the ball (and I will admit to not knowing exactly what that means, but I believe it to be true). If the previous paragraph makes no sense then you probably already swing 'through the ball' and the aiming point might be counter-productive. But if not... don't focus/etc on the ball but on a place a couple inches in front of (and a tad below) the ball when you swing. dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

ahhh ok...the couple pictures in the book have a line from his hands to a point and I guess he is saying this is where my hands need to be at impact.

I've been a sweeper most of my golf life and if I try to go after one I usually hit 4 inches behind the stupid little ball. This is going to be a hard change.

Any other tips about this subject? Any and all will be appreciated, thanks.

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff

I'm just starting to get the "swing " of things after 6 yrs at this game. I shoot archery and there are a few books and videos that stand out above the many that are out there. I've never read a book on golf, maybe I'll give this one a try- thanks

One thing that I completely forgot to mention about this book.

Does anyone remember how Bobby talks about that stupid cross handed chipping grip that Chris Couch uses? UGH, I found that to be so annoying. So the guy chips one in to win an obscure tournament and now we should all consider using the grip? I liked this book a lot but felt this really damaged his credibility. That, and the whole "hit down on the driver" thing.

In my bag:

I am thinking of getting this book, but I have a question. Does he reference ball position in your stance in relation to aiming 4 inches in front of the ball? I have recently had success playing all my balls more forward in my stance, about 2" off of my left heel like Hogan describes in his book. Aiming 4" infront of that would put the swing bottom outside the left foot (for me) which doesn't seem to make too much sense in my mind. So does clampett propose plaing the ball towards the middle of the stance, or can his ideas be applied with the ball more forward?

In chapter 3 (which I just finished) he says play with different ball positions to find out what works best. I really like this book so far because he isn't telling you how to swing but tells you what every swing must have. I take it as keep your style but implement these dynamics. Good luck!

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff

• Administrator
I am thinking of getting this book, but I have a question. Does he reference ball position in your stance in relation to aiming 4 inches in front of the ball? I have recently had success playing all my balls more forward in my stance, about 2" off of my left heel like Hogan describes in his book. Aiming 4" infront of that would put the swing bottom outside the left foot (for me) which doesn't seem to make too much sense in my mind. So does clampett propose plaing the ball towards the middle of the stance, or can his ideas be applied with the ball more forward?

The whole book can be summed up as this: "the lowest part of your swing should be 4" in front of the ball." He thinks that's true with the driver (which I disagree with), but for virtually every club that holds true.

So when he says "aim there" he doesn't mean "put the ball there." He means aim there and you'll catch the ball on your way down to that low point.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

good explanation Erik.

Did you get my point about the cross-handed Couch chipping grip? I thought that was so odd.

In my bag:

I'm still amazed at how hard I find it to remember to do this when I'm playing. Practicing, I still forget often. It is amazing to me that something that has such a dramatic and positive effect on my ballstriking, is so damn hard for me to remember....

I don't do his technique with the woods/metals. Seem to push/slice everything right using it. Haven't found it to work as well as it does with the rest of the clubs.
The wedges is where it really shines for me.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

I am trying to work on my overall impact so this topic really intrigues me. Does he suggest aiming 4" in front of the ball for chips/pitches as well as full swings?

In my offbrand bag....

2009 Burner Driver
2007 Burner 3-wood
2009 Burner Rescue 4-Hybrid X-20 Irons 4-PW X-forged gap wedge 52.12* CG14 Black Pearl 56.14* and 60.14* wedges White Hot Dual Rossie Putter e6+ balls

I'm starting to notice something about using the forward aiming technique. I've noticed that I can shape my shots easier by aiming farther away, say 4" ahead of ball for a lower draw, or only 1" ahead for a higher fade. Basically all I'm doing is altering my angle of attack. Just by how far ahead of the ball I aim my eyes. Really nutty thing to most people. But it is the same thing as aiming at a grain of sand 2" behind the ball for a greenside bunker shot. Just on the other side of the ball. Besides greenside bunkers, aiming at a spot 1-2" behind the ball works great on lob/explosion type shots from the rough 50 yds and in.

Don't think it works? Next time you are in a fairway bunker, pick a grain of sand 2-4" ahead of the ball and swing to that point. I bet you hit nice and clean shot. Traditionally I rarely hit greens from fairway bunkers, but since I started using this, I would say I'm hitting greens out of fairway bunkers at a 50% rate. Pretty amazing to me.

Studying the impact position and using Clampett's technique is a very important part of the puzzle that is a consistent, sound golf swing.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

• 3 weeks later...
Started using the theory a couple of weeks ago...aiming 2" in front of the ball. Have never hit the ball as solid and straight in my life. Just doing 2" in front, just like 2" behind on bunker shots.

Shot a career round low 81 last week (15 handi), hit 12 fairways and had 15 GIRs. I almost had a hole in one.

It works for me...keeps my head down a little longer and have been making great contact.

My Bag

Grom
r7 Limited 10.5
Hybrid 3 Baffler BB 2004 Irons 4-PW, GW, SW Vokey 60 wedge White HotProV1x

• 2 weeks later...
skimmed through the book at borders the other day. got the gist about the swing bottoming out 4" ahead of the ball but never worked out how to get there. many thanks for the postings, especially about aiming 2" ahead of the ball and controlling the lag with your arms. i will take this to the range and see if it works. if so, i will rush out to buy the book for a detailed read and as a future reference guide.

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

Note: This thread is 1461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!