IGNORED

Interlocking Grip

bogeyhitter25
Note: This thread is 3720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went out golfing today. Just barely made it before a storm. Shot a 96 (Sucks, but that isn't the point). I figured that about 99% of PGA Pros use the interlocking grip, so I'd give it a try. I love this grip. I hit a lot more solid iron shots. I got a not-so-good score because of my driving, and my putting (slick greens). It was my 3rd shot on a Long Par 5. I was about 150 yards away from the pin (I had to lay up because of a monstrous dog-leg.) I was originally going to hit my 7 Iron as that was usually what I'd hit from the 150 yard marker. My friend told me to hit my 9 iron, so I did as I was told. I took up a pretty good sized divot, and my friend said "Oh well", but it looked great off of the club. Sure enough it was. I stuck it about 15 feet right of the pin. 2-putt for par unfortunately. But the good news is that I'm sticking all of my iron shots. But I've learned that interlocked grip is the way for me.

I'm switching to the interlocking grip full-time after I get back from vacation. I've tried it off and on but the 10, while unorthodox, felt so natural I couldn't switch.

But time will help that, and results are results.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

The first time I went out playing about a year ago, to my playing partner's surprise, I picked up the club with a relatively good idea as to how it was to be held (it happened to be the interlocking grip). I didn't know how I knew it, but it just felt really familiar. Turns out probably 10 years (I was maybe 5-6) prior to my first round, I had gone to a golf camp that must've taught that grip. Kind of weird that I had completely forgotten that I went to the camp, but the knowledge of that grip style stayed with me ten years later.

"What is best about a great victory is that it rids the victor of the fear of defeat. 'Why not also lose for once?' he says to himself; 'now I am rich enough for
that'" -Nietzsche

In My Stand Bag:
R7 Draw 9.0 Deg Stiff Flex Driver AMF Progression 3 Wood SUMO2 3/20 Deg Hybrid & CPR 4/24 Deg...

Playing baseball my whole life, 10 fingers feels natural to me, although I've toyed with interlocking at times.

It is my opinion that which grip you choose isn't going to have an impact on your golf ability, assuming you hold everything else constant/do not have other glaring flaws.

It is my opinion that which grip you choose isn't going to have an impact on your golf ability, assuming you hold everything else constant/do not have other glaring flaws.

Ummmm....your grip is one of the biggest things that impact your golf ability. A bad grip=bad swing. You will suffer forever with a bad grip. I don't care what all the "internet experts" might say.

Do some research on the grip. It could change your golf ability, instantly.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

I think duece is referring to the interlocking vs overlap.

There really is no difference between players who use interlock and overlap. Its a matter of preference. Obviously, having a correct grip is EXTREMELY important, but if both interlock and overlap are correct, then they won't make or break the golfer.

Ummmm....your grip is one of the biggest things that impact your golf ability. A bad grip=bad swing. You will suffer forever with a bad grip. I don't care what all the "internet experts" might say.

Indeed, I was referring to which type of grip you choose - overlapping, baseball, interlocking.

The grip of the club, of course, is extremely important, maybe the most important part of the swing, but not what you decide to do with your index finger.

Pardon me then.

I recently changed from a life long interlock grip to an overlap, then to a double overlap (Furyk). It took my aggressive right hand out of the equation and really made a difference. I even put with the double overlap now.

I think there is "correct" grip for each person's swing. It could be any type. Also, I think "grip pressure" is probably the most overlooked fundamental in golf. You can have a great grip, but with too much pressure, you will get nowhere. Your grip pressure sets the tone for how your swing is going to be. Something that I overlooked for a long time and I now feel pretty dumb about it.

WITB:
Driver-B'stone J33R 9.5* Pro Force V2 65S 44.5"
3w/5w-B'stone J33R 15-18* NV75 Stiff
3h Ping G10 21* TFC Stiff
irons-Mizuno Pro II w/4-9, MP-T 47 PW, currently have DG S300. X100 Soft Stepped 1x or PX 6.0 are on stand by.GW Mizuno MP-T 53-9* DG R300LW Titleist Vokey SM 58-12* DG Wedge flexT...

uhh bad grip=bad swing might be a little strong. I've always had a stronger grip that i continuously fight but i have a pretty nice swing. That being said it certainly makes things easier to have a good grip. Having a ba grip complicated a swing but it doesnt make it a bad swing.

thats the only grip ive ever used, i have tried the over lapping grip and i just felt like i was holding a skinny baseball bat with my finger overlapped,not a golf club, just didnt feel right to me

Ive also heard its bout hand size overlapping for large hands, interlock for medium hands and the 10 finger grip or something for small hands, i may be wrong but I think ive seen it on a youtube video one time or another

r7 draw driver 9.5* stiff shaft
Big bertha 06 irons, 4-sw
56*vokey spin milled 10*bounce
Victoria ;)
tp black balls cart bagJack nicklaus Golden Bear 52* and 60* wedgesWalter hagen: 3 wood 5 wood 4 hybrid stiff shaft"I don't say my golf game is bad, but if I grew tomatoes they'd come up sliced."www...

I've been experimenting with the interlocking grip and it really helps on chip shots. I think that's opposite of what Tiger does but it seems perfect for me.

Everything shouts I should use overlapping. I'm 6-4, 205 with an XXL glove size on my left hand, since I'm a natural lefty and that hand is bigger and stronger than my right hand. I've used overlap since switching from 10 finger at age 9.

But my right hand tends to get too weak with the overlap. I grip it too close to the last digit and it wraps way over. When I go to the interlocking grip it forces my right hand in a more neutral position and all the angles are much improved.

The problem is it feels so awkward on long swings, not nearly as cohesive. But the results are fine and I'm trying to work it in full time. My last round I used overlap on the front 9 and played terrible. I decided to use interlock on the back and hit the ball solid en route to a 38.

I've been experimenting with the interlocking grip and it really helps on chip shots. I think that's opposite of what Tiger does but it seems perfect for me.

Thank you thank you thank you... now I know I am not full of it. I interlock as well and everyone including my club pro keep telling me to overlap.

I find that when I overlap my wrists break when I make contact. I have a system for my grip. I do this for all swings unless I am chipping or putting. On my down-stroke, when I hit waist level I squeeze the three contacting fingers of my left hand, I find this prevents my left wrist from giving on contact. Oh, and to the guy that says grip isn't important. I believe it is critical.

Atlas
Driver Opt1: King 440 10.5°
Driver Opt2: SuperQuad Stiff 10.5°
Irons: R7 4-PW, AW Steel Stiff
Lob wedge: Momentus Golf (Yes I also have the Weighted Driver )Hybrid: 20° Putter: Dual Force 330

I started playing golf with the interlocking grip then switched to the overlapping grip and now back to the interlocking grip for the last 2 years.

I believe Tiger uses the interlocking grip.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I've used an overlap grip since I started playing golf way back in junior high. This year I fooled around with an interlocking grip, and it felt so natural, despite being different than what I've always done, that I immediately switched to it, cold turkey, so to speak. I think it gives me a better grip on the club with less tension in my hands and wrists than I was getting with the overlap.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

I personally cant stand the interlocking grip, it feels so unnatural to me. I recently tried to switch to it, but I just cant feel comfortable with it. I may keep trying to get comfortable with it but then again I have been doing the 10 fingers grip since I started golfing when I was 5. I guess old habits die hard.

Hoofer Lite
Burner 10.5* S - Flex
I3 3 wood, UST Proforce 65 Gold S-Flex shaft
Idea Pro Gold 3H S - Flex
Forged Blade Irons Tour Black Satin Wedge 52*/10* Vokey Oil Can 56*/10* Forged Wedge (60*/12*) Studio Design 1.5 with CS Pro Plat finish Pro V1 balls

Note: This thread is 3720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!