IGNORED

The early backward wrist break?

Note: This thread is 5738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone heard of the early backward wrist break?

I have just incorporated this move early in my backswing with incredible results!

My swing stays on plane from start to finish.

Basically when you make the early backward wrist break perfectly - only one knuckle of your left hand (right handed golfers) and two knuckles of your right hand should be visible and the golf club should be parallel to your target line. (see diagram)

From this point all you do is turn your shoulders to the top. The arms are basically just along for the ride guided by the shoulder turn.

You will be in a powerful position at the top. From the top simply start the downswing by bumping your hips to the left toward the target. Don't do anything with the arms from the top, they are along for the ride and will fall into the "slot".

I find the golf club practically swings itself powerfully into the back of the ball.

I'd be interested in what you all think about this...

--John

I like the early wrist set, although I do not set it as early as the illustration. There was a good article in Golf Digest about 6-7 months ago written by a teaching pro who works at a Leadbetter School. I was actually suprised at the time because Leadbetter never advocated an early wrist cock...but apparently he does now.

I think the magazine featured El's as well, and talked about his early set.

I worked it into my swing over the past several months and like the results. I don't even think about it now.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

• Administrator
I think when you cock your wrists varies by person. Some cock early, some late.

Mine's a bit earlier than perhaps the average golfer, but it's much, much later than this kind of deal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will have to try an earlier wrist cock. My problems seem to arise when I get quick, fail to complete the wrist cock, and swing "all arms".

Index 2.8
In the bag: Rapture V2 10.5, Ping G10 Hybrids (18/21/24), Ping i10s (5-PW), Ping Tour Wedges (52/56/60), Ping Anser, TM Burner ball, Golf Guru GPS

I have this same problem and it kills me becuase i screwsup my entire swing path from the start of the swing. Heres a trick to think about when cocking your wrists. When you cock the cock is not to the right when you start. Its more of a verticle cock. So when you get back you hinge your wrists upward. So if you were to cock your wrists at the start you would hit your head with the club. Try not to cock your wrists until your top hand gets past your back knee when you swing.

This has helped me hope it helps you.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

Being a high handicapper, I need as much consistency from the full swing. I was actually doing that early wrist cock until someone observed me doing it. I consciously eliminated it and initiate my backswing with a full shoulder turn- it works best for me for all full swing clubs.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

In my swing, a work in progress after not touching a club in 6 or more years, my better swings seem to have a feeling of very little or delayed wrist cock. This gives me better rotation and my chest seems to pull the arms, wrists and hands through the impact zone.

I also use a closed stance, aim right of the target and attempt to pull the ball back towards the target. Similar to Bobby Jones and especially Sam Snead.

Three years ago I stopped using an early wrist set in favor of the 9:00 toe up checkpoint in my backswing plus better swing extension.

But I will retry it because it could help to eliminate my tendency to not complete the shoulder turn after fatigue sets in.

I have this same problem and it kills me becuase i screwsup my entire swing path from the start of the swing. Heres a trick to think about when cocking your wrists. When you cock the cock is not to the right when you start. Its more of a

Here we go again. Which is the correct direction to cock the wrist? Vertical (towards your thumb, what most people think of as cocking the wrist) or horizontal (towards the back of your right hand, what is commonly called hinging.)

The early wrist "cock" is actually an early wrist hinge. People using it generally don't cock their wrist in the traditional manner.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I agree you don't want an early wrist cock as it will just take the club off plane. The early wrist break is actually a wrist hinge not a cock. I have been using the early wrist hinge in my swing for the past three weeks and like what it has done for me. It helps me get the club back and started on plane without moving my arms back therefore keeping them in front of me. I break the wrists back early and lift the arms gradually as I turn the shoulders and am able to keep the club on plane, keep my right arm close to my body and lift straight up to the top position. It is still a bit of a work in progress but it seems to me working for me.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

This is exactly what I am doing now. Wow. I originally saw it in a drill and started hitting the ball so well that I am continuing it. My one problem is that my backswing is a bit flat right now (I also need work on my legs moving into the ball)...working on that.

Here is a swing:

And here is a thread I had that discussed it showing the drill that inspired this:
http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14932
-edit: oh, i see you were in that thread!

I am trying to develop a 1 plane swing but modified from what Hardy teaches. My biggest problem is what to do with my right elbow...should I go behind me like Hardy's 1 plane or keep in front.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

I used this style of swing on the course for a couple of months. But rather than start with the club parallel to the target line, it started out pointed at around 2:00 where the figure that started this thread showed it starting at 3:00. 12:00 would be the clubshaft at right angles to the target line). I found this better for me, somehow.

I did not find that this kind of swing improved my best golf. What I did find was that, using this swing, I could achieve my best golf with less effort. By effort I mean less full swing practice time on the range. And I did shoot the best round of my life during this period (a differential of zero - shot the course rating).

But there were two problems with this swing.

1) I just didn't like having the strangest swing this side of Jim Furyk.

2) I found myself constantly working to minimize the amount of early wrist-set, which kind of negated the advantage of it being a lower maintenance swing.

Everytime my (currently conventional) swing goes south I get tempted to go back to this type of swing.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Follow up. Tried an earlier wrist cock or hinge, whatever you want to call it (back on itself) and really, really hit the irons solid the last two days. Added a club in length and did not hit one bad shot doing it either day. Now if I could only find a like secret for my short game (chipping and putting) I would really be dangerous. LOL

Index 2.8
In the bag: Rapture V2 10.5, Ping G10 Hybrids (18/21/24), Ping i10s (5-PW), Ping Tour Wedges (52/56/60), Ping Anser, TM Burner ball, Golf Guru GPS

Note: This thread is 5738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!