IGNORED

Where to put weight on the putter head?

tonyy
Note: This thread is 5706 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My Scotty has a lot lighter feeling ever since I got it cut down for my height (approx. 2"). I'm putting some weight on the head and was figuring out where the best placement would be.

On the toe and the heel? OR In the middle right behind the sweet spot?

I'm trying it out with nickels which both weigh about 10g together. It feels a lot better to me already.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

Anyone?

I guess it's more what feels good to me huh. haha

- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

I USED TO USE A SCOTTY CAMERON FUTURA (GRAY HORSHOE TYPE), AND I LOVED IT.
but then i needed money a few months later so i sold it. still, it was the best feeling putter that almost swung itself and the weight arc on the back works like the new square box drivers, so use that concept when weighting the putter. my current putter has adjustable weights on heel and toe.

I'll give this one a shot. I'll use some generally accepted numbers in my educated guess. When you removed 2" of shaft length you decrease the swing weight by 12 points (in theory). One inch shorter decreases the SW by 6 points.

When it comes to head weight, 2 grams added to the head will increase SW one point. So to bring the SW back to where it was, you would need 24 grams of lead tape (12 swingweights x 2 grams per SW). Now some of these numbers may be based on longer clubs like 5 irons or drivers so they may not translate exactly to the shorter wedges and putters, but should be in the ball park.

I've read from many reputable sources that you need about 30 or 40 grams to change the center of gravity on a club. Many people will tell you that a few inches of lead tape will change the ball flight on their drivers. For them it might. What I and many experts (not that I am one) beleive is what is actually happening is that by changing the club head feel with a little tape, the golfer is able to feel the head better and thus allowing a better and different swing which results in a different ball flight.

So as for WHERE to put the weight, I don't believe it matters, but if you want to experiment try on the heel and toe. With this much weight, you might actually increase the MOI of the putter a bit by foccusing the weight on the outer perimeter. FYI another number I've read is 4 1/2" of 1/2" wide lead tape is one SW (or 2 grams), but of course this is based on the thickness of the tape.

I have 27" (12 grams) of lead tape very cleverly disguised on my driver, after shortening it 1" to 44". I can honestly say it did affect my ball flight. Instead of hitting all over the face with the shorter lighter club, I now make center contact more because I can feel the club head. So in that sense it changed my flight from hooks and slices, tops and fats to clean shots. Did I change the center of gravity on my club? I don't think so. But to each his own. A little mojo doesn't hurt.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the more in-depth explanation.

I guess I'll tinker around with it and see what works best. I think the weight has more affect on a driver rather than a putter. But we'll see.

just wanted to add this, it crossed my mind. drivers often have a convex face curve, like the outer part of a bannana moon. this helps a lil to keep ball straight on drives. would this work on putters? what about concave face putters?

I think the weight has more affect on a driver rather than a putter. But we'll see.

I think your right.

If you like the length, and get the swingweight where you want it, then just make sure the lie is good (not toe up or toe down, I see this soooo much) and you'll be out putting your opponents in no time. I got my Ping G5i Craz-E in 33" stock. It swung a little heavy so I went with a heavier grip to bring the SW down a tad, then bent it flat 4* and OHHH BABY! Nothing feels like a properly fit putter. You use it more than any club in the bag. If I ever pull this club (big IF) it will be for a Cameron. If you don't like tape, I'd say tape it until you get it where you like it after a few rounds, then take it to a club maker/pro and have them add some weight from inside the shaft. I'm not sure how they do that, some kind of powder I think. Shouldn't cost much, might have to do a regrip.

Note: This thread is 5706 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!