IGNORED

When do you check your scorecard?

Smallville
Note: This thread is 5721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How do you add up your scorecard?

• I add up the scores after each nine holes.
    • I add up the score every so often, just to see how things are going.
    • I keep track hole-by-hole; I know exactly where I stand all the time.
    • I don't keep track; I just add up the totals at the end of the round.

Ever since I was on a course and played the first six holes, then to avoid a big backup, groups were jumping over to 11, playing thru 18, then going back to 7 and then playing thru 10, I have not added up either nine nor kept track of where I was scoring throughout my round. I used to be anal about it, even keeping track after every hole.

Since I quit keeping track, I have shot my three best scores ever and now regularly shoot in the middle to upper 80s (with some 90s thrown in to keep me from getting too big a head!). I figure I'm gonna get what I get, and if I know I have to get a certain score at the last hole to shoot a personal best, or to avoid shooting a BAAAD score, chances are good I'm gonna choke!

How do you keep track of your scores throughout your rounds?

EDIT: I don't mean there is anything wrong about being anal about keeping track after every hole; I used to do it! And besides I am way to anal about almost everything else and that's not going to change any time soon!
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I simply dont keep track of my overall score during play. I know if im having a terrible day or not and i know that seeing the big number wont do anything for my confidence. At the end i like to add it up and review what i did hole by hole before leaving the course.

A word of advice from the one and only lesson i have ever taken was that the only shot that matters is the one your on. Forget about the shank you just did and the 5 snowmen on the score card, concentrate only on this one shot.

Hope that relates.

G

I know generally if I'm doing well or not, but I don't add anything until I finish. When I'm playing really well, I don't need to, because if I'm making a lot of pars with just a couple of bogies, it's pretty easy to track that. I just sort of automatically keep a running total of how much over par I am in my head. I just don't usually think much about it while I'm on the course.... I try to play each shot as it comes, then I do the same with the next one.

I've been surprised at times by ending up with a much better score than I expected. I like those surprises too much to spoil the fun by totaling too early.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always check how many over par I am after every hole or two. It's just the way I play. I like to know where I stand. I don't usually crack from the pressure or anything, but some it bothers them.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I don't add things up officially until the end.
I usually know where I am after every hole though.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

• Administrator
I don't consciously stay aware of my scorecard, but since I'm generally +/- 6 of par, it's not like I don't know where I stand anyway.

You can know where you stand, what you need to shoot, etc. if you can handle the pressure of knowing. If you can't, you've gotta try to trick yourself into not counting, I suppose.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't consciously stay aware of my scorecard, but since I'm generally +/- 6 of par, it's not like I don't know where I stand anyway.

It's a little easier to know where you stand without checking your scorecard for people who shoot as well as you do; it's hard not to know you parred 5 straight holes before you got a bogey, then got 4 more pars and then you got a birdie, then you finished with 8 straight pars. I thought I had fool-proofed the thread by giving plenty of options, guess I messed that up huh?! For myself, and some of us others who don't shoot almost nil handicaps or even high single-digit handicaps, it's a little easier not to know where you are when you shoot a bogey, par, double, bogey, triple, par, par, par, bogey, double, etc., all the way through a round. Not that it's a bad thing, and not complaining that I don't shoot as well as a lot of the people on this board; if I was good enough to know I was shooting approximately par all the time, then I'd be changing my vote to option #3 real quick!
My Equipment:

• Administrator
I thought I had fool-proofed the thread by giving plenty of options, guess I messed that up huh?!

My answer wasn't a criticism in any way of the poll (which I didn't notice until now - I guess #3 is closest, so I chose that). I was just answering the question. Wasn't trying to brag in any way either - just answering the question.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I check at the turn and then at the end.

I used to play with a guy who consistantly shot under par. He didn't really keep score, just counted how far up/down he was at the end of each hole.
Drivers:
FT-i Draw 9* W/Grafalloy Red
Sumo2 5900 9.5* W/Grafalloy Red

Irons: A3OS 3-PW Graphite/Steel regularWedges: A3OS GW, SW, LWPutter: Rossa Monza SpiderLittle round white thing:

iacas-

Didn't take it as criticism, just an observation and realizing I didn't think the poll through as well as I should have first. All good.
My Equipment:

I keep track hole by hole

Things I Am Good at in Golf

- Hitting it in the drink
- Finding the rough with my drive
- Staying in the bunker- Hitting grassburners all the way to the hole- Three putting- Posting over par on 18 in only 9 holes- Swinging and missing with an iron

The beauty of a good Sun Mountain V1 cart is the ability to have the score card right at your fingertips. It's easier to keep all my stats now than it was when carrying the bag on the back.

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

The beauty of a good Sun Mountain V1 cart is the ability to have the score card right at your fingertips. It's easier to keep all my stats now than it was when carrying the bag on the back.

pretty sure most 3 wheelers have that. and many two wheelers for that matter.

My Blog

How can you not know where you stand at any given time? I always know where I am in relation to par. I mark the scorecard with the number of strokes per hole and I note my +/- very small in the same box. Sometimes I even circle birdies and square bogeys. But for me, whether it's a great round or a struggle, I always try to tell myself to "concentrate on what you're doing, not HOW you're doing."

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

How can you not know where you stand at any given time?

If you don't mark your +/- very small in the box you write your score and don't circle birdies and square bogeys (what do you do for doubles and triples or if you happen to get an eagle?) and just write your score and go on, it's pretty easy not to know EXACTLY where you stand at any given time. I mean, you know if you are shooting decent or crappy but not an exact score. I know how I did in relation to par after I play every hole (I definitely know when I get a birdie, for example) but after a few holes, the birdie is still remembered, but the pars, bogeys and doubles (and maybe worse!) are just a number on the card that I don't worry about til I get done. Easy for me, maybe difficult for some if your scores don't tend to jump all over the place. I'd say, the closer you shoot to par, the harder it would be to NOT know where you stand at any given time because you are only talking maybe a few over par; if you shoot mainly pars, it's easier to remember those few bogeys and birdies. Oh to have that problem!
My Equipment:

Note: This thread is 5721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!