IGNORED

Side Saddle Putting - Legal?

iQuest Golfer
Note: This thread is 3235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Playing a league match the other day...

My partner uses the side saddle putting style and is deadly. I mean anything from less than 10-15 feet is dead in the cup.

We were playing a team of hot-shots that shoot good golf but like to brag more about it. I took my match 11-9, while my partner smoked his opponent 19-1. The next day, my partner's opponent cornered me in the parking lot and accused my partner of illegal putting. I blew it off and said, "I think you got stung and are looking for the excuse to take the pain away."

He said that he can remember that Sam Snead tried a similar putting style back in the day and the PGA made him stop; hence, it's illegal and, though this guy wasn't going to turn in my partner, he wanted me to tell him it's unfair and someone is going to nail him in tournament play one day.

I brushed him off and reminded him that this guy is the perfect gentleman and a credit to the game. I was fuming as I drove home and immediately tried to find something about it in the rule book... if it's there I can't see it.

Anyone out there got a ruling?

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

Snead putted croquet style and they outlawed it after that. Side saddle putting is legal as long as you do not straddle the line of the putt.

Its covered under rule 16-1e.

Snead putted croquet style and they outlawed it after that. Side saddle putting is legal as long as you do not straddle the line of the putt.

Perfect... the operative word - straddling the line of the putt.

My partner stands to the left of the line and pushes the ball forward in a croquet fashion. PS... Oh, there it is... Rule 16-1e... Standing Astride or on Line of Putt Thanks!
iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

• Administrator
I brushed him off and reminded him that this guy is the perfect gentleman and a credit to the game.

Rule 16-1e:

Source: Rules of Golf e. Standing Astride or on Line of Putt The player must not make a stroke on the putting green from a stance astride, or with either foot touching, the line of putt or an extension of that line behind the ball. Exception: There is no penalty if the stance is inadvertently taken on or astride the line of putt (or an extension of that line behind the ball) or is taken to avoid standing on another player's line of putt or prospective line of putt.

You can putt hammY style, facing the target, so long as both of your feet are on the same side of the line. Snead putted that style after he was told not to do the "astride the line" thing. To be clear: Legal Illegal

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To be clear:

Your visual says it all... he's legal.

iQuestGolfer

Side Saddle means to sit aside rather then astride.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

As it has been said, it is in-fact legal.

My swing coach is a side-saddle'er, and I might convert, like the OP said, inside like 15 feet I'm deadly.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I used to putt in a funky fashion and was alot better than I am now but I switched to a normal stance because so many people said I would lower my scores if I did it the correct way.

Basically back foot was in a normal position but the front foot was completely open at perpendiclar perpindicular to the back foot. Is it legal?

View the attached diagram.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

TinCupTampa,

Yes, that stance is legal.

S-
Driver: Nike Dymo² Str8-Fit 9.5° UST AXIV Core 69 Stiff
3 Wood: Nike Sumo² 3 Wood 15° Aldila VS Proto 65 Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 3/R 20° DGS300
Irons: Titleist AP2 3-PW PX 5.5 (+ 1/2" and 2° upright)
Wedge: Titleist Vokey Design 200 Series 52°/8° Wedge: Titleist Vokey...

the usga was rude when they passed the "no straddle rule" also know as the "screw sam snead rule". don't see why they had to pass a rule just the way one person was putting.

what the usga did to sam snead rivals what the r&a; did to walter travis and his schenectady putter, what a travisty

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

the correct way

there is no "correct way", only different theories and approaches to hitting the ball.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I putted sidesaddle for awhile, and it kept me from quitting the game. I had a caddie at Chambers Bay try to tell me it was illegal too. I didn't tip him very well.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I tried it for a little while years ago, but it seemed to me that I needed a putter with a more vertical shaft than normal to get the full benefit of it. Not straight up and down, but close to the same angle as the long putters. I didn't putt that way very long.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

The story goes that Sam was practicing out at Augusta and Bobby Jones himself went by and saw sam putting that way. He was furious, calling it an insult to the game. He reported it to the PGA and insisted they rule it illegal.
So Sam just figured out another way around the new rule.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

I tried it for a little while years ago, but it seemed to me that I needed a putter with a more vertical shaft than normal to get the full benefit of it. Not straight up and down, but close to the same angle as the long putters. I didn't putt that way very long.

reeso-cook makes a putter especially for side-saddle putting

ganja-

I actually have a long putter I used in the very early 90's when my back was really bad. Haven't used it in over 15 years but it might work . . . .might be a little long but it could always be cut down. I think I'll try it and experiment a little. I hate to give up the See-More but since I only carry 13 clubs anyway . . . plus, having a long putter would be great for when I need to measure one- or two-club lengths!
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

ganja-

theorists are now advising that side-saddle putters be long, for instance, the recomended length for a 6' person is 51', different than when sam snead crotched over the ball

The story goes that Sam was practicing out at Augusta and Bobby Jones himself went by and saw sam putting that way. He was furious, calling it an insult to the game. He reported it to the PGA and insisted they rule it illegal.

thank you, could never figure out why the pga acted so, still is a stupid rule

Note: This thread is 3235 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!